header.nohb.html

Does it matter what you hit as long as you have groove?

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Yes, the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Drummers who know what they're looking at will enjoy watching a guy playing buckets. Normies will think it's awesome, but wonder why he's wasting his time on buckets. Drummers who see a guy playing minimally on a nice kit will criticize his playing. Normies won't notice anything is wrong, much less how nice of a kit it is. They also won't care when you tell them how nice it is.

Get what you can responsibly afford, try not to suck, and have fun.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Drummers who know what they're looking at will enjoy watching a guy playing buckets. Normies will think it's awesome, but wonder why he's wasting his time on buckets. Drummers who see a guy playing minimally on a nice kit will criticize his playing. Normies won't notice anything is wrong, much less how nice of a kit it is. They also won't care when you tell them how nice it is.

Don't ever underestimate the " normies " they know more than you give them credit for .

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For the moment, restricting this to playing on your own favorite, well-tuned kit .......

I truly believe that it DOES matter WHAT you hit and when ...... even if you are totally locked in and grooving. I constantly catch myself playing patterns that sound, in hindsound (?), amateurish. I think in my case this is the result of limited chops - hitting the rack tom or floor tom with whatever hand is "next in the queue" - rather than planning out a sensible melodic fill ...... or possibly, no fill at all.

One of the reasons why I feel much more comfortable with a simple 4-piece; way fewer temptations to lash out at the wrong sound, but "perfectly" in the pocket (as if!). Worst case for me is a two-up config ..

I should go back to trying to record my playing ...... I know ...... but it's just one more hassle, plus I'm afraid I would not like what I hear.

I've been having a lot of fun recently with a single hand drum ...... and trying to stay out of the way.

Mike

Replying to my own post ....... with some thought, I realized I left out a couple of important things:

> First off - of course it HAS to groove. That's the whole point ...... If it doesn't, one does not belong on the stand until it does. That's the minimum expected of a drummer, IMHO ......

> Second, my further comments about WHAT to hit WHEN were meant to apply to a jazz context, and specifically to those spontaneous unrehearsed sessions when you haven't had time to arrange or settle on an approach. You are just playing, in the moment, remembering the immediate past ..... listening and improvising. I did not mean to refer to rehearsed, arranged tunes.

I will add this: I think the choice of what sound to make when CAN affect the flow of the groove, without actually busting it.

M.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
L
I’ve NEVER, EVER seen anyone dance to a drummer playing pails, ever, so yes, what you’re playing and what you’re playing ON does matter
Look to the right of the drummer.

Though, people usually don't dance to a street drummer on tubs because they're in the street, not because he's playing tubs.

CAsasquatch

Reaction score

"try not to suck" .. omg.. lmao!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replying to my own post ....... with some thought, I realized I left out a couple of important things:

> First off - of course it HAS to groove. That's the whole point ...... If it doesn't, one does not belong on the stand until it does. That's the minimum expected of a drummer, IMHO ......

> Second, my further comments about WHAT to hit WHEN were meant to apply to a jazz context, and specifically to those spontaneous unrehearsed sessions when you haven't had time to arrange or settle on an approach. You are just playing, in the moment, remembering the immediate past ..... listening and improvising. I did not mean to refer to rehearsed, arranged tunes.

I will add this: I think the choice of what sound to make when CAN affect the flow of the groove, without actually busting it.

M.
Drum beats don’t groove . It takes the whole band to create that …

Albert

Reaction score
For example, I've seen street drummers literally hit 5 gal buckets and pieces of metal and make a sick groove/beat I could dance to and/or make music to. And conversely, I've seen guys with amazing super expensive drum kits who completely miss the point, have no groove and are simply distracting from the music. This is an interesting conundrum to me...and I feel like the balance lies somewhere in the middle...?

Discuss.
My opinion is that it starts with a feeling musical, that's really what groove is. You can get a groove out of almost anything. How effective you will be has to do with what you are playing on and what musical context you are placed in.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Don't ever underestimate the " normies " they know more than you give them credit for .
Since I've quit playing and joined the normies, I talk to them more than musicians. They really don't pick up on all that much. And that's coming from me who couldn't tell you what rudiments a drummer is playing.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since I've quit playing and joined the normies, I talk to them more than musicians. They really don't pick up on all that much. And that's coming from me who couldn't tell you what rudiments a drummer is playing.

Long live the "normies" ..........

The groove is visceral ....... it either moves your body ...... or it doesn't. You can observe this from the drum chair; just watch those folks that you can see. I'm of course talking about a "human scale" gig here, not an arena. Doesn't matter what the genre is; to quote two famous lines: "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" ....... and, more vulgarly ....... "if it ain't funk he don't feel it ...." (obscure, I know ...... from the score of "Howard the Duck" by Thomas Dolby ...... I worked on it!).

Of course, the whole band has to groove ..... but if the drummer can't groove, by hisself ...... what chance does it have?

M.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Long live the "normies" ..........

The groove is visceral ....... it either moves your body ...... or it doesn't. You can observe this from the drum chair; just watch those folks that you can see. I'm of course talking about a "human scale" gig here, not an arena. Doesn't matter what the genre is; to quote two famous lines: "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" ....... and, more vulgarly ....... "if it ain't funk he don't feel it ...." (obscure, I know ...... from the score of "Howard the Duck" by Thomas Dolby ...... I worked on it!).

Of course, the whole band has to groove ..... but if the drummer can't groove, by hisself ...... what chance does it have?

M.
The normies really aren't that high maintenance. If you play a song from when they were kids and it's halfway decent, they'll love it. The bar is really low. Just go play and have fun if you're fortunate enough to have guys you can get out and play with. I've seen some real stiff, mechanical bands work a room as good as any other band, and on some questionably cheap gear as well. Go play, have fun, and nothing else matters.