Does Ludwig Classic Maple = Fab 4?

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm brand new to this forum, so hi! My name is Christian and I've been playing drums for just over 5 years now. I play in a band called Aviv and I also play at my church.

So I've recently purchased a "Ludwig Classic Maple" according to the online seller. I've come to realize it's not technically a Classic Maple, but a Fab 4. Nowadays, Ludwig classifies Fab 4 as a 22/16/13 kit. However, the one I have is a 24/16/13. I searched the internet for a Classic Maple with my finish, but none exist. It only exists as a Fab 4. The question is, are both equivalent in terms of sound, quality, price, etc? I'm very confused and I'm hoping an expert can give me some answers!

Thanks

Edit: Forgot to add a photo: https://imgur.com/a/slA0a

Reaction score
I think all my sets are fab!
The Fab Four set was a 22-16-13-5x14 outfit in classic maple, wrapped in black oyster like Ringo had.
They made 100 numbered sets.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ok, oyster black. I think the Fab Four term was actually over used for a period and any 4 pc was called that but probably not a kit with a 24, regardless, a Fab Four kit is a classic maple kit

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
"Classic Maple" is the name of a particular line of drums. "Fab 4" was the name of a particular outfit (a combination of drums in a specific set of sizes and hardware complement) offered within the Classic Maple series. The Fab 4 sets were meant to (roughly) approximate the set-up Ringo used in the Beatles but the drums themselves included therein were all the standard Classic Maple layup and design.

There were a few catalog outfits (Fab 4 being one example) in specific combinations but a buyer was free to order classic maple drums in any combination he wanted for a particular set. With a 24" bass drum your set wouldn't technically be a "Fab 4" but the initial buyer could have easily said he wanted a set just like the Fab 4 but with a 24 inch bass drum and the dealer could easily make it happen.

Reaction score
mfryed2112 said:
Ok, oyster black. I think the Fab Four term was actually over used for a period and any 4 pc was called that but probably not a kit with a 24, regardless, a Fab Four kit is a classic maple kit
Awesome, thanks for the help!

Reaction score
K.O. said:
"Classic Maple" is the name of a particular line of drums. "Fab 4" was the name of a particular outfit (a combination of drums in a specific set of sizes and hardware complement) offered within the Classic Maple series. The Fab 4 sets were meant to (roughly) approximate the set-up Ringo used in the Beatles but the drums themselves included therein were all the standard Classic Maple layup and design.

There were a few catalog outfits (Fab 4 being one example) in specific combinations but a buyer was free to order classic maple drums in any combination he wanted for a particular set. With a 24" bass drum your set wouldn't technically be a "Fab 4" but the initial buyer could have easily said he wanted a set just like the Fab 4 but with a 24 inch bass drum and the dealer could easily make it happen.
Makes sense, thanks for clearing it up. :)

tomo221

Reaction score
FWIW, not all Classic Maple drums have the sticker inside the shell. Ludwig only started doing that about 3 or 4 years ago, but they've offered the Classic Maple line for much longer.

Also, FWIW, whether you're looking at Classic Maple, Legacy Maple, Legacy Mahogany, Keystone X, etc, the configurations are generally labeled as follows:
18/12/14 = Jazzette
20/12/14 = Downbeat
22/13/16 = Fab 4
22/10/12/16 = Mod 22
24/13/16 = Pro Beat

Blisco

Reaction score
So, he basically has a Pro Beat Classic Maple in Blue Strata. Sweet, sweet kit.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
That looks to be a set in regular Oyster Black pearl (not the vintage style stuff people usually order these days). That was the only version available for a long long time. It is closer to the Bowling ball version that came out in 1970 than to the 60's stuff.

Attachments

Reaction score
K.O. said:
That looks to be a set in regular Oyster Black pearl (not the vintage style stuff people usually order these days). That was the only version available for a long long time. It is closer to the Bowling ball version that came out in 1970 than to the 60's stuff.
That's exactly it. :)