Does Rock’s Worst Singer Have “The Craziest Drummer”?

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A whole bunch of Zoltan bashers here. Par for this place anymore, which makes me sad. He's making a great living and he is a world-class great human being. He's a showman on stage no doubt, but this brother can play.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’d like to be famous enough to get slammed online !!!!!!
Really? We are at that point now. Once someone “makes it”, they are no longer able to be criticized.

Let’s talk about how awesome New Kids On The Block were.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Reaction score
I met Zoltan 3 years ago and he could not of been any more nice, sincere , and humble. He doesn't do drugs. I enjoy watching him play. I think his timing suffers a little because of how he plays. I will say this, I probably have seen over 100 drum clinics and the most boring one ever was Brian Blade. Thank goodness we all, as drummers, don't all play the same way. Life would be so dull. Choices , I love this country.

Last edited:

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite : how's he a world class great human being?

He's out there in more ways than one and his drumming is more flash than skill ... but if that's your thing, and it sounds like it is your thing, then good for you. Z is world class when it comes to drummers who feel that they don't get as much attention as the lead singer. HEY! EVERYONE! LOOK!! AT!!!! ME!!!!!!!!!

Obnoxious, noxious, nauseous playing style is an understatement.
I've known him for several years. He's 100% drug and alcohol free, to counter what's been speculated by the uneducated in this thread. He's also a very active Christian (which isn't my thing at all, but he's big into that.) He's kind, thoughtful, and goes out of his way to help others, including guys like me. For the record, I'm not "into" his style of playing, per se. I'm into decent humans that make a living playing music without being a jerk to others and don't tear others down at every opportunity. The opposite of what's being put across in the thread. If you can't say something nice...

I'll agree that he's overly flashy on stage. Absolutely a valid point. But he's PAID to do that. He's a rock-solid drummer in the studio.

You can certainly state that someone isn't your thing without attacking them as a human; especially when you've never met them. These are real people that get bashed on here. Critiquing someone's playing is one thing, calling them a druggie, a piece of trash, etc. is crossing the line in my book. YMMV.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A whole bunch of Zoltan bashers here. Par for this place anymore, which makes me sad.
I can not recall reading anything on this forum that has ever made me sad, that level of sensitivity is a liability in this wicked world.

Chin up Speedy.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can not recall reading anything on this forum that has ever made me sad, that level of sensitivity is a liability in this wicked world.

Chin up Speedy.
My chin is fine...It's just sad that this place has become the place where the "get off my lawn" crowd comes to out-dick each other. It hasn't always been like that.

Keep leading the pack Nacci.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One can see the guy has solid hands and timing despite all the extra movements. Not easy to do. Steve Moore (the Mad Drummer) has been doing his "thing" for years, and still going strong. I find that behind most 'showman' is someone who has a very solid foundation in the basics.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
My chin is fine...It's just sad that this place has become the place where the "get off my lawn" crowd comes to out-dick each other. It hasn't always been like that.

There has always been an element of that on here..most forums have that sort of negativity..its just the way she goes..I'm more of a "don't even step on my lawn" type of guy...just have fun with it..if people wish to be negative, take it for what it's worth..it's only what a person's friends and family feel about them that is important..
Personally, I think this drumming is goofy, but who am I to judge? He can drum circles around me, has tons of fans, and is making a living doing so..good on 'im..keep rockin' doood!

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Change is inevitable. In 20 years the SJC crowd will be pissing me off I’m sure.

In my defense Vince Neil is pretty pitiful. When I’m driving along I cringe if I see one of those guys dressed as Uncle Sam trying to usher me into a tax preparation place and will look the other way if I have enough heads up. Sure, it is better than sitting at the end of an off ramp begging for change but I just don’t like to see it.

To me, Vince Neil is the musical equivalent of that guy in the Uncle Sam suit and now that I think about it that does make me sad.

I will do me best to lead this nebulous group of people that does not like people on their lawn. Thank you Speedy!

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's like a parody of a parody. Not too far off from the viral video of the wedding band drummer going nuts...

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My band was the opening act for Vince Neil (with the Slaughter members in support) during our State Fair in October, 2017.
We were instructed to arrive at 3:30PM and do a sound-check at 5.
During our check, Zoltan came out and watched -- when we were finished he walked over and introduced himself and one of the roadies.
We talked about an hour and he played my kit for a couple of minutes...............he had a lot of questions and he is a real gear-nut, like many of us here at DFO.
I have an early-70s "A" Zildjian ride that he said was remarkable and we talked about the newer models being not quite as cool.
He also loved my snare drum which I would have had only a few days at that time.

As has been said in this thread, he is an exceptionally nice guy -- very respectful to everyone.
Later on he watched us play our entire set from the wings backstage.
After load-out, I hung around for about half of their set while I enjoyed a large beer................I thought he was fun.
He definitely is "the show within the show" but what is funny is the other guys in the band pay absolutely no attention to him except to time the ending of the songs.

His drumming style is not my thing -- but he was fun -- and he was not a pretentious rocker in any way.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is pretty embarrassing - why the theatrics? I think it detracts from the "star" of the show.

And I thought the "wrong gig" drummer was over the top....yikes!