DOES THIS SOUND ABOUT RIGHT TO YOU?

NickSchles

Reaction score
So! I've been learning Tower of Power's "Squib Cakes" note for note the last few weeks using David Garibaldi's Off The Record book. I'm currently half way through the 7min+ beast.

Now, before tackling the next half, I'm going through certain sections / fills / grooves and refining them by ear as Garibaldi's transcriptions aren't always 100% accurate, as far as I can tell.

With that in mind, here’s the fill that happens at 02:36 in the song. This same theme happens a few bars later, which Garibaldi expands on over 4 bars. I’ll transcribe too when I've figured it out.

The big questions is: does it sound right to you?

I may have posted this before, but if you're interested, I describe my approach to learning stuff by ear here:
https://nickschlesinger.com/playing-drums-by-ear

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Sounds good. Great tune. I feel like something is getting lost at speed though in this section - It sounds like you’re rushing or dropping a note in there, and that’s making it sound polyrhythmic and breaking up the groove. I hope that’s helpful.

Here’s a good cover that (I think) ‘feels’ right:

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Both sound nice. Yes the tempo is to the track in the second post and has a funkier 70’s slosh feel to it. But Nicks groove was cookin and solid.