Does Weight Written On Underside of Bell Hurt Resale Value

tao

Reaction score
I have some cymbals that have the gram weight written on the underside of the bell. I know that Bosphorus and Istanbul ( I think) do this at the factory, but I have several Avedis and K Zildjians that have the weight written inside the bell, and was obviously done after purchase. Although the writing is not sloppy or visible without looking for it, does this hurt the cymbals resale value?

Opinions Please.

pete

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
personally, i don't think so. it's easy enough to remove without damaging the cymbal..

jyee

Reaction score
it'd only hurt the resale value if you were trying to lie about them (e.g. advertising as a medium ride when the weight would clearly be a thin).

Writing doesnt affect the sound, usually comes off easily and the weight is helpful information.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i think just about anybody particular enough to worry about writing on the underside would also be someone concerned enough to want to know the weight of such cymbal. having said that, i dont think it would be an issue at all.

mike

tomtomz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've passed on cymbals that have Sharpie marks on them. I just don't like any graffiti on my cymbals.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A little bit of acetone will remove Sharpie marks.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, having the weight written on the cymbals decreases the value by 95%.

However I feel somewhat sorry for you so I will take them off your hands at only a 94% cut in price :)

Dude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Of course not. I say that after just recently buying a digital scale and writing all the weights on the underside of the bell though. :D

I think it adds a certain something to it anyway. Like an underlined passage in a secondhand book. It's patina on purpose, if you will.

Like---- our last house--- there were marks on a door jamb where the parents had recorded the date and height of their growing children. That's good stuff. You leave it there and never paint over it.

Geez,,.... one frickin' cocktail into the holiday weekend and I turn into Walt Whitman on ya'll. Sorry.

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Nah ... it's nice to have the info ... an interested buyer is going to want to know the info anyway.

If you don't plan to sell the items then remove it ... maybe keep a log somewhere if for no other reason than a good insurance inventory.

If you do decide to sell it later, the info is readily available.

It wouldn't bother me as a buyer for the info to be on there.

Robb

Herb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the weight is greater than 3000g, probably (unless it's a 24" or larger). :D Otherwise, no.

Herb

Latest posts