Does white lacquer finish fade to yellow?

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking at a new Tama kit (Superstar Classic Neo Mod) and one of the only colors offered that I like is a white lacquer. Having had 2 white wrap Tama kits that faded to yellow with exposure to sunlight, I am reluctant to go down that road again, but maybe the lacquer will hold its color. Anyone have experience with this?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve had a few white kits ... some lacquered and some wrapped.
The wraps devolved into an uneven yellowie looking thing that if the lights hit it just right ... urine.
The lacquered shells were a much more pleasant creaminess. Not so much of an urochromic substance.
My guess ... there are quite a few variables at play.
Manufacturers of the stain, lacquer, clear coat, how many layers, application process, environmental conditions, etc etc.
I would have no idea how a particular set of shells would hold out or behave in the long run. It would seem like somewhat of a gamble ... but a fun one.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My white laquer kit is 10 years old and hasn't yellowed . The biggest thing is protecting them from direct sun.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oil based finshes react and change with uv rays and will also naturally lighten, darken or amber over time depending on the color.
Waterborne or water based products are much more stable and will stay true to color much longer.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know sometimes they do. A local drummer friend of mine has a white Yamaha Recording Custom set he purchased new back in the 90's and they've faded to a creamy yellow color.

burt.png

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info. I like white but I hate smoker’s lung as a color.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
MY brother had some like that. Can anything be done to return them to white? SHort of rewrapping

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Today, I would think that most manufactures are using high solids "water White" conversion acrylics for top coats that will not fade at all. Conversion Cab Acrylic is also non fade and I know a few are shooting that as well. But this predictable, stable finish technology was not really used until 12 to 15 years ago (at least wide spread from what I read in our industry) so before that it's almost a guarantee that you would have tone fade (where the clear coat ambers) in the correct UV conditions. I love the look on certain colors, but I agree, white is not really one of them for me either.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ten years old, and as Arctic White as the day I bought them.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ten years old, and as Arctic White as the day I bought them.

Ridiculously beautiful ...

Let me know if you get my Father's Day card ... and I'll make sure to look for my very large Birthday package in the post from you.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ridiculously beautiful ...

Let me know if you get my Father's Day card ... and I'll make sure to look for my very large Birthday package in the post from you.
Can you imagine the shipping cost. I am afraid you are going to have to pick this one up sonny! :)

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
My gig set of Phonics was white wrap, but now I call it smokers teeth white. Yellowing, brown spots and other marks pepper em all, the toms don't quite match the bass drum, but looks like ivory on stage and sound just like my Rosewood 13 16 24. No cases, no cares, no worries; chuck and go.