Does your taste in drums reflect your taste in cars?

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does your taste in drums/cymbals reflect your taste in cars, or are those tastes separate/unrelated? There's the musician stereotype, where they transport spectacular instruments in the cheapest hoopie that will get them to the bar. My drums sound great, and my cars seem underwhelming on the surface, but I think my drums and vehicles have more in common than the stereotype suggests.

For example, my driveway contains an 80s Toyota 4x4, a 15yo 320k mile Civic that's still kicking ass, and a Mk2 Supra I resurrected from the dead (at a total cost of $2k) with badly faded original paint. It think that closely reflects my percussion stable, containing stuff like Acrolite, Supraphonic, MIJ stencils, good working man's cymbals--nothing artisinal that I'd be reluctant to take to a bar gig, with a Masters Mahogany kit I got used being the outlier. I have lots of snare drums, but only 2 were over $250 and bought new (a 15" Pearl and an Oriollo). My cymbals were almost all $200 or less, good deals on quality stuff from the big two brands with some Bosphorus, Meinl Mb20, UFIP, etc. mingled in there. So just like my cars, my drums number probably 200% more than most people's, but they're inexpensive, overwhelmingly sensible and versatile, with a few quirky items that are there just because they're fun to drive. With the exception of a few of my snares, everything has cosmetic issues, and I couldn't care less, just like my cars. They're there to do a job. Just like my gear, I don't plan on selling any of my vehicles as long as I can keep them humming along.

Is there anyone here with a PDP and a Mercedes? Do you haul your DW Collector's Series to the gig in a beat up Mirage missing a fender, like the stereotype suggests?

I think kits/cars might be more like owners and dogs looking similar, or maybe the stereotype is accurate.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My taste in drums/cymbals converges with my taste in cars only insofar as I do not buy used drums and I do not buy used cars. At 69 years old I'm too much of a curmudgeon to dick-around with someone else's discarded problems.

In 2013 I bought a drumset with smaller-sized drums that would fit into the car I then owned (2009 Mercury Milan). In 2017 I bought a Chevy Volt knowing that it would accommodate my entire drumset. That's the only kind of drumset/automobile convergence that means anything to me. :thumbup:

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I drive a Subaru.

Never the dream car of a kid, of course. They're nothing special and you see them everywhere, but they're completely, functionally utilitarian and they last forever with little fuss.

And look at that, I've played the same Pearl Exports since high school graduation. Wow, that's some spooky insight, Pat A Flafla. Me arm hairs just went all bristly!

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I carry my Gretsch USA Customs or DW Collector's Series kits in my 2015 Ford Edge SEL.

(Note the "got drums?" plate on the front.)

1620799781527.png

Which replaced my 2008 HHR. (Which wore a similar front plate.)

1620800007938.png

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I carry my Gretsch USA Customs or DW Collector's Series kits in my 2015 Ford Edge SEL.

View attachment 499481

View attachment 499482
Though that vehicle isn't what I'd call a budget model, and seems to be in spectacular condition, I'd say your drums have the "edge" in that balance. (SWIDT?)

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess this is like dysfunctional voyeurism on my part. I get to find out what people drive and what drums they play. I want to know if a Jaguar driver plays a Premier Resonator kit.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does my taste in drums reflect my taste in cars?

God, I hope not.

My drums are compact and muscular, with incredible maneuverability.

My main family vehicle is a Honda CRV. It takes as long to get up to freeway speed as it takes the drums to come in on Phil Collins’ “In The Air Tonight”.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No car - lots of drums, so no.
Favorite cars - all made in the 60's (a few 70's ones too) or earlier, so yes!

Browny

Reaction score
2018 Hyundai i30 SR manual.
1947 Slingerland Radio King 26/13/16.

New(-ish) South Korean sports hatch. Big old Old American drums.

Pretty much polar opposites.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I like both vintage and newish drums, and I have some of both (vintage Ludwig, newish INDe and Yamaha). I like vintage and newish cars, again I have both (vintage VW and newish Jeep). So maybe there's something to that idea.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
While I have an abiding interest in sports and exotic cars I can't really afford to indulge that to a major degree (probably in part due to the money I spend on drums). If there is any correlation for me between cars and drums it would be that I prefer vintage examples of each. I'd much rather have a 1970s Porsche than a brand new one. My main car is a 14 year old Toyota Matrix which I will no doubt drive until the wheels fall off. Besides my overall good luck with Toyota cars as far as longevity and being cheap to maintain the Matrix makes a very good drum hauler.

Then again I do have a new-old Porsche as my weekend car. It's probably the most affordable Porsche right now (older Boxster) and cost me less than a cheap new subcompact would have. The downfall of a car like that is the parts/service are always going to be expensive so even if you got the car for free it adds up. Also you can't haul much more than a snare drum or two in it.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toyota( Rav 4 2016 ) Honda (Fit 2012) Toyota( Tercel 1994) Buick ( Le Sabre 1992)Mercury( Topaz 1988) Mercury( Topaz 1984) Dodge ( 150 Pick up 1979) Ford ( F 150 1975) Mercury ( Bobcat 197?)) Renault ( 5 ' Le Car' 1981) . I didn't own a car or have a driver's license till I was 29

MIJ Ludwig Premier Rogers TAMA Pearl Sonor Yamaha Slingerland Milestone that I can remember ,plus countless orphans.

I'd say my choices of vehicles and drums have been consistent . For many years $ cheap$ was the deciding factor, and I had to be able to sleep in it overnight . At 5'9" that was easy , except for the Tercel . My favorite was the Buick . If repairs , which were often. weren't always 600 bucks or multiples of that amount, I'd still be driving it today , I'd invariably have to sell off gear to pay for car maintenance and look for 'good drum and cymbal deals' to gig to make money to ...... pay for auto repairs and so on and so on ....

Last edited:

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never thought of it before but ..yeah. I guess practicality is our approach...We have two cars. One is a Subaru (prior car to that was a Honda Accord) and in 2020 we said goodbye to our 90s Toyota 4Runner (not an easy decision -240K miles, not a lot for that model but the northeast winters had taken a toll) and picked up another used 4Runner.

My drums are all practical models as well that are geared for working (80s Tama Superstar, 60s Rogers, late 50s Gretsch and a few other similar lines) Nothing ostentatious but very solid and sound great.

LarryJ

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vintage drums, early '60s Slingerlands, not collectors but players modified to improve playability.

Vintage cars, '30 Ford sedan and '34 Ford coupe, not restored collectors but hot rods modified to improve driveability.

Never thought about it, but I guess my taste in drums and cars is similar.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 499481

Noticing the houses in these pics and I'm thinking "that looks like a Pittsburgh neighborhood" lol,

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yes basically.

I'm not a flashy guy, I drive a 10yr old F250 4x4 that doesn't have carpeting or power windows or Sirius. It does what I need it to do and it doesn't look like crap, it's in really good shape. Wife drives a newer Nissan Frontier. Practical and efficient.

Drums - Pearl Decade, middle of the road kit, not flashy. Gets the job done and looks good, practical. Other kit's an entry level road show that I want to re-wrap. I put some work into it replacing out much of the hardware mounts and hoops and it's a fine kit that would look great with a nice green sparkle or straight yellow wrap.

Kinda like my project CJ5 lol

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
75-76 Ludwig Vistalites with Sound Projectors!

2014 Acura RDX

Loud and rare vintage drums paired with a car with a powerful stereo, 274 horsepower and 20-plus MPG.