Does your taste in drums reflect your taste in cars?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could say- make it into- a Yes. On initial impression my cars usually elicit a wow... and I'm asked to explain ..the entire history of how these particular models came to be and all their specs, and their place in the evolution of comparable models today.

In reality they (the two) are amazing for short trips only and represent a day gone by.

but no way I'm getting rid of them

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had a truck or suburban since 1992 first truck was a GMC after that has all been Chevy...now I've got a blue silverado....obviously have to have a blue truck if I'm blueshadow :)
Need to get a new picture since adding running boards and grill guard but doesn't seem like it's ever clean when I think to take a pic
59820046_10217819223739514_7533492556965871616_n.jpg

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think so, I want something with utility and that I can count on to start and run for a long time...a Toyota. I look for the same in drums. Looks are secondary to functionality and value.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's my drum hauler....

Mustang.jpg

I have to admit that hauling two 26" kicks in cases, along with two toms/two floor toms, a big set of 2002 pies, and hardware can be a bit of a challenge..
You either make dozens of trips, rent a truck from Enterprise, or use one of these handy-dandy Incredible Shrinking Ray Guns and put all them drums in the glove box ;-)

ISRG.JPG

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I stopped buying new cars in the early 90's. It just made more financial sense to me to find well made and engineered vehicles and maintain them until annual repairs started approaching a regular car payment. To answer your question, I submit the following exhibits: 1966 - 1926- 1984

Attachments

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
75-76 Ludwig Vistalites with Sound Projectors!

2014 Acura RDX

Loud and rare vintage drums paired with a car with a powerful stereo, 274 horsepower and 20-plus MPG.
My wife's RDX just got totaled by 2.5" hail (my tank of a truck sustained some minor cosmetic damage and lost a $67 mirror). She tried to talk herself into going with the more sensible CR-V (she's a very sensible, responsible type person) but loved her RDX way too much so we're shopping for another one. I admit it's pretty much the perfect fit for her. I, however, personally find it stressful to drive anything new and nice. I'm just Dirt Man, and I'm comfortable in a scratched up rust bucket.

Also, operating those ancient Toyotas has me conditioned to bury the beater, so to speak, so if I'm not thinking about it and I have to merge quickly from a stop sign in the RDX, the turbo lag winds up being the cherry on top of a scary surprise. After several years of intermittent operation, I finally almost got used to it, but it still happened occasionally. I'm also used to not worrying about transferring dirt from my person to my truck. It's comically stressful for me to be concerned with whether or not I have motor oil on my leg, or elbow, or head. Fancy Lady married Dirt Man for some reason. What's really funny is that on foot, I zip around like a maniac but my truck is horribly slow. I joke that she moves as deliberately as a Nogaku character but she drives something fast.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I stopped buying new cars in the early 90's. It just made more financial sense to me to find well made and engineered vehicles and maintain them until annual repairs started approaching a regular car payment. To answer your question, I submit the following exhibits: 1966 - 1926- 1984
Oh man, those are the drums I would love to own but am too cheap to buy. Gorgeous. What snares do you use for your concert gig? I fit Pattersons onto a Mahogany Classic for mine.

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I could still buy used Volvo brick wagons, my car and drums (used Gretsch and used Ludwig) came about as close to some sort of harmonic convergence. Now the drums are the same and I'm driving a (bought new) Caravan. Easy to load, boring to drive.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh man, those are the drums I would love to own but am too cheap to buy. Gorgeous. What snares do you use for your concert gig? I fit Pattersons onto a Mahogany Classic for mine.
I use a a few custom individually adjustable set-ups built by Bill Wanser (Olympicdrums.com).
The one I use the most is wire/wire/ gut/gut/thick gut/thick gut/ gut/gut/wire/wire.
He is getting ready to make me a set of 4 yellow cable (Hinger type) with 3 bare steel cable on either side (individually tensioned). I've got blue pattersons on my 7x14 late 80's N&C.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well put this/that way then yes , as this car is in the shop having some restoration done and I’m in the process of fixing up a ‘70’s Ludwig kit....w26”bd!!!! In a white/ cream finish....;).
This 190sl is from 1959 and my oldest drums are Sonor’s from 1965. The rest of my drums are, like me, “vintage”....lol. Nothing from this century.....yeeesh
I have used this to transport drums before, but our Toyota Yaris is better....
bt

16DB6691-8BFF-431B-923C-42FC73892D04.jpeg

TK-421

Reaction score
Well, I'm definitely a car guy and a drum guy. And I think my tastes in both reflect that. But because I LOVE driving fast with the top down, and I can't really have multiple cars, I have to make one work for both top-down fun and drum-friendly (enough) hauling. So every convertible I've owned (this is my 5th) has to have a decent-sized back seat and trunk. Actually, the convertible top makes it a lot easier, because when I lower the top it's easy to get the bass drum, 16" floor tom, pedal bag and other goodies in and out of the back seat. Which is how I manage to fit my 6-piece Gretsch into my C300 Cabriolet.

fullsizeoutput_b18.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_166b.jpeg

Last edited:

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a a few custom individually adjustable set-ups built by Bill Wanser (Olympicdrums.com).
The one I use the most is wire/wire/ gut/gut/thick gut/thick gut/ gut/gut/wire/wire.
He is getting ready to make me a set of 4 yellow cable (Hinger type) with 3 bare steel cable on either side (individually tensioned). I've got blue pattersons on my 7x14 late 80's N&C.
I've heard the N&C/Patterson pairing before, and it sounds great. Being a cheapskate, what's been working for me is pairing a less expensive (and usually less bright) drum with bare steel cables. As someone who hasn't ever pursued a chair, I'm just never going to have to play those whisper excerpts at an impossibly scrutinized level, so I only need drums that sound great from p-f. Believe it or not, my other concert snare is a 14x4 Beverley, of all things, with a coated M5 on top. You can't get very close to the edge, but it sounds great from p-f and though a N&C would be wonderful to own, "OK" is all I really need for one-offs, extra percussionist gigs, and preparing students for all-state auditions.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never thought about it but I guess my drums do reflect my cars!

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My cars reflect my taste in drums in that I tend to keep them for a very long time. My main kit was bought new in 2000. I have a Black 2007 GMC Yukon Denali XL that I bought new and still have and it looks nearly new in every way as do my drums... I take really good care of my drums and vehicles and keep them for a long time.

HowardW

Reaction score
For cars, my current lineup:
  • 2019 Honda HRV
  • 2020 Nissan Frontier (4 door)
  • 1997 BMW Z3
See my sig for the drums ;). If I were to start gigging again, I could carry the drums in the HRV. Or set up the Slingerland Stage Band or either Gretsch set in the bed of the Frontier for outdoor playing :icon_lol:. But the Z3 is for stress reduction with my GF, driving in the Ouachita Mountains.