Doing a sub for a blues gig this week... oy

dyland

Reaction score
Touring the Southland in a traveling minstrel show
Blues gigs are all about the kick/snare dialogue as it relates to the bass line. Be conscious of where you're placing your backbeats, leaving more or less air in the pocket depending on the singer's style. In my experience blues singers like the beat slightly ahead, as it gives them more space to hang back. This has served me well in my experience playing with a fairly accomplished blues band.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blues gigs are all about the kick/snare dialogue as it relates to the bass line. Be conscious of where you're placing your backbeats, leaving more or less air in the pocket depending on the singer's style. In my experience blues singers like the beat slightly ahead, as it gives them more space to hang back. This has served me well in my experience playing with a fairly accomplished blues band.
roughly how many beers would you say that is in total ?

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I played a lot of blues in my early 20's. I was just starting to gig out out of high school and this was right around the time SRV passed away. Up in my neck of the woods (NH), blues was everywhere in the early 90's. It was a lot of fun for the most part but I played with one guitar/bass/drums trio where the guitar guy wanted to rehearse a lot. It sucked because he wanted to have every little dynamic rehearsed and it was so painful to do that. Blues felt more like jazz to me where often times the mood would take you different places. Rehearsing quiet parts and other things like that was just painful. The gigs also got so boring because every little thing was planned out. For some things that is OK but I hated it in a blues band. Most of the time I played blues it was watch the leader and fly by the seat of your pants.
Those fly by the seat gigs were the types of gigs I loved when I was back home in MA - I ended up playing a lot of sub gigs but I'll never forget the best piece of advice I got from a bass player on one of those early sub gigs. The leader's name was Sam and he said "Never take your eyes off of Sam" I feel I ended up a much better player doing that and watching other people as well. You learn more than just the songs, you learn to listen and learn to watch. Body language can tell you when a key might change, when a solo might start or end, how to anticipate. I really do miss playing the Blues

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those fly by the seat gigs were the types of gigs I loved when I was back home in MA - I ended up playing a lot of sub gigs but I'll never forget the best piece of advice I got from a bass player on one of those early sub gigs. The leader's name was Sam and he said "Never take your eyes off of Sam" I feel I ended up a much better player doing that and watching other people as well. You learn more than just the songs, you learn to listen and learn to watch. Body language can tell you when a key might change, when a solo might start or end, how to anticipate. I really do miss playing the Blues
Yep. Besides having big ears make sure you have big eyes! If not pre-arranged you should be able to pick up right away which of the guys you can get your visual cues
from. Its all about the feel and dynamics!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's my Beguine version!

play that you see the dancers amazing..till one wrecks into a table but up to that point..

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that version is pretty painful, very "pale". Drummer sounds too busy and rushed.

Try the real thing. Nice and lazy.

There's one with that groove on the list. (All Your Love / Otis Rush)

Reactions: JDA

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you talking about that "blues accountant" guy who just bought a $5,000
HEAVILY RELICED '63 Fender Strat from Sweetwater?

Fender-Custom-1963-Stratocaster-Super-Heavy-Relic-Limited-692-AVW_01.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I walk into a bar, and there's a white guy with a hat on playing Stormy Monday on a really nice guitar, I walk out. Just sayin'.
except if it's Johnny Winter (oh wait he's deceased (I think) Edgar then he isn't_