Domi and Jd Beck

E.L.

Reaction score
These two young prodigies are some kind of special breed, incredibly talented each in it's own instrument, i can't find the right words to describe how amazingly gifted they are...because you can practice all day everyday since you are a kid, but when you play like they do..it's a gift.

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are BAAAADDDDD cats. Their collab with Grande and Thundercat was one of the most out-of-left-field things I'd seen in a while, but it's SO good:

One of the best things from that festival. I have a feeling during that crazy middle Ariana was like what the Finder is going on here?!

E.L.

Reaction score
In a couple of years JD will become a MONSTER of a drummer

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the things that makes it work ,or not depending on your perspective, is their language. He uses language/vocabulary from video games and electronic music. She uses language from jazz and pop but her syntax, the way she puts it together is disjunct. The forms are broken into uneven pieces.

E.L.

Reaction score
I can't stop watching these videos, this is just a short clip but....JESUS CHRIST

E.L.

Reaction score
One day i'm sure everybody will be "addicted" to these amazing musicians

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
One day i'm sure everybody will be "addicted" to these amazing musicians
Everybody? Don't be so sure. Tastes are multitudinous in the world and vary. Not everybody likes the same thing, ever. Totalized claims, especially based on taste, are impossible to prove.

But easy to disprove: I can't stand music like this. I fully admit their "mad skills," but I don't like music that's based on and created to interact with machine-generated sounds. I prefer more organic procedures - ways of learning, listening, playing/having a group, creating music.

When this thread started, I was reading my Modern Drummer magazine where, as usual, I am about a year or so behind. Featured in that October 2019 issue? J.D. Beck. I read most of it and was pleased to see that he fully understands what he is doing and how he has learned. He is a wise, self-aware young fellow, and that was 2 years ago! I was reading that several days ago, and I listened to a few of the "tunes" posted here. Highly skilled players, just the two of them, and they are ingenious. I don't know how they do it. I thought, "They are going to be very big. They will 'playing for Kanye'; they will be 'playing for Beyonce' and all the other e's." (This would've been like 'playing for Madonna' 30 years ago). Bet on it: They will 'have some tracks' on whatever gets the Grammy next year. They won't exactly play on an entire song, of course, because nobody does that anymore. There will be snips and shreds, cut and pasted by the producer du jour in a manner cleverer and more "mad-skilled" than ever I could imagine.

Yes, EL, I recognize that this is one direction that music is going. Just one direction, though. It's a matter of taste, however, and not everyone likes the same thing.

E.L.

Reaction score
Everybody? Don't be so sure. Tastes are multitudinous in the world and vary. Not everybody likes the same thing, ever. Totalized claims, especially based on taste, are impossible to prove.

But easy to disprove: I can't stand music like this. I fully admit their "mad skills," but I don't like music that's based on and created to interact with machine-generated sounds. I prefer more organic procedures - ways of learning, listening, playing/having a group, creating music.

When this thread started, I was reading my Modern Drummer magazine where, as usual, I am about a year or so behind. Featured in that October 2019 issue? J.D. Beck. I read most of it and was pleased to see that he fully understands what he is doing and how he has learned. He is a wise, self-aware young fellow, and that was 2 years ago! I was reading that several days ago, and I listened to a few of the "tunes" posted here. Highly skilled players, just the two of them, and they are ingenious. I don't know how they do it. I thought, "They are going to be very big. They will 'playing for Kanye'; they will be 'playing for Beyonce' and all the other e's." (This would've been like 'playing for Madonna' 30 years ago). Bet on it: They will 'have some tracks' on whatever gets the Grammy next year. They won't exactly play on an entire song, of course, because nobody does that anymore. There will be snips and shreds, cut and pasted by the producer du jour in a manner cleverer and more "mad-skilled" than ever I could imagine.

Yes, EL, I recognize that this is one direction that music is going. Just one direction, though. It's a matter of taste, however, and not everyone likes the same thing.
I understand your point of view, but if you watched the last video i posted (the one on the post you quoted) you can clearly notice they are not playing some machine-generated sounds, they have more than just one style....maybe it's something you don't like it anyway, but they can pretty much play everything.