Don’t be shamed into hiding! Show off your power Tom kits

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
Perhaps my 12x10 rack-tom isn't a "power tom" by traditional standards,
but it looks like a barrel suspended above my 16" kick drum...

This is a screen-capture from my Sony DVDcam, the pic looks "squished"
so don't let the "depth" of the rack-tom fool you...

VVV_Halloween2020a.jpg

This pic below was taken by my guitarist/singer with his phone,
you can see the size comparison between my rack-tom
and my kick drum, lol...

racktom.jpg

( that extra pipe beneath my rack-tom used to mount my 10" roto-tom.
I might swing it around to mount the roto on the hihat side,
or I might just remove that pipe altogether since it's not being used now
and it's adding unnecessary extra weight inside my hardware bag.
)

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
WAS my kit many moons ago...

003 copy.jpg

NOT my kit but I play on it at a local studio quite often!

20201116_191608 copy.jpg

Tubesox

Reaction score
I don’t understand the apparent disdain for deep toms. I LOVE my kit. I have 1 tom....& I like it to be big. My sons are in a band now, and they can’t get over how small the toms are on their drummer’s kit, as they grow up with mine in the house.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I'm actually BUILDING one as we speak. WTF? Blaemire 14x24, 6.5x14, 9x8, 9.5x10, 10x12, 10.5x13, 11x14, 12x15, 14x16, 14x18.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of people just don’t like these kind of drums.
I understand they are very heavy to carry around. These would’ve been very expensive to make with the amount of materials used. I never had a problem with the Ludwig modular hardware as it worked flawlessly for me and I actually like the look of it in terms of the Tom holders.
Pictured below is my original 1981 Ludwig. I used them for almost 30 years -gigs and in studio. They never let me down. Once I switched to coated ambassador heads they became wonderful sounding drums.
Usually tuned a step higher than my standard three ply vintage shells, they have a huge presence followed by a quick low boom but can also be played tastefully for softer sounds.
Anyway I just thought it would be fun to see some pictures of the old power Tom kits- let’s see what you’ve got!
Sorry don't have a picture but your kit reminds me of my late 80's set except mine are Cherry Stain; 12x13, 13x14, 16x16, 16x18, 16x22 bass and a 6.5x14 Supra. All toms were rack mounted with the Modular hardware. After purchase in 1994 I added a 9x8 and 9x10. I later did change the mounting system to RIMS then ATLAS and added legs to the floor toms. Still have the Modular hardware in storage. The 16x18 floor tom has been converted to bass to be used in tiny areas for gigs. I use them for a practice kit now except for pieces depending on gigging space.

sherm

drums1225

Reaction score
My Tama Superstars with full Power Tower "cage", and 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 Xtras toms, all depths one inch less than diameter. Ordered them in late 1986, and picked them up on Valentine's Day of 1987. I dragged this monster around on all my original metal/hard rock gigs for 5 years, before I split it into two 4 or 5pc versions and left one set up in my home studio. I've played this kit on nearly every (non-backline) gig I've ever played, with the exception of jazz gigs, and still do, to this day. I eventually sold off the odd sized toms, one of the 24x16 bass drums, and the 18 floor tom, and picked up a 22x16 bass drum.

I wouldn't buy another kit with power toms, but I still have this one and I'll always keep it. They've always sounded and felt great, and I never had any issues tuning them. Sound men love them. I used to play them with Pinstripes over clear Ambassadors (which is how they arrived from the factory), but now I run clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors. I've always tuned the resos considerably higher than the batters, but I've never measured nor paid attention to the interval.

I have an easier time tuning the 12x11 Superstar tom than I do my 12x9 Starclassic Maple or STAR Maple toms. Maybe it's because it's been my main kit for my whole adult life. No regrets about the power toms.

Full kit, sometime between 1987 and 1989
Chris_80s_SuperstarCage.jpg

June of 2018, at The Town Hall in NYC
CM_TownHallNYC_002_Edited.jpg

A J

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don’t understand the apparent disdain for deep toms. I LOVE my kit. I have 1 tom....& I like it to be big. My sons are in a band now, and they can’t get over how small the toms are on their drummer’s kit, as they grow up with mine in the house.
Me too. I love the looks of deep toms and think they sound just a shade better than shallow ones. My toms: 9x10, 10x12 and 14x14, 16x16 floor toms.

Tubesox

Reaction score
my rack tom is 14x14, with 16x16 & 16x18 floor toms. 18x24 kick, 8.5x14 mahogany snare. They look sharp, & sound thunderous!

Turbo-T nut

Reaction score
Here’s my 1988 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom. Ordered from L&M in 1988.....has been with me ever since
Hey bud this is my beast mind you this is only half for now its missing 7 shells the 24 inch bass drum and 6 toms im not to sure but I think I will just be missing the 16in tom and snare to make fully complete I would definitely love to talk to an expert on the kit for sure View attachment 483773
20210203_161342.jpg

Here’s my 1988 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom. Ordered from L&M in 1988.....has been with me ever since

Turbo-T nut

Reaction score

Attachments