Don Henley

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
When the Eagles are on AXS TV, I can't quit watching. I have heard a lot on this forum about Don's snare sound. What I haven't heard much about, is his playing. Maybe I missed some threads? Anyway, I really like his playing and the sound of all his drums. He uses the butt of the stick on the snare often. I like that he has four toms too. It's really sick that Glenn died. Ace

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I think the fact Don sings so well playing is astounding. Don is not a flashy player but what he plays is perfect for those Eagles songs. I like his drum and cymbal sound It was what everyone was trying to capture when those records were made.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
People have dogged Don Henley for both his 70's California sound and his drumming ability and both are nonsense, as far as I am concerned. His sound was an epic part of the 70's and his ability led to being probably the biggest band of the era with the biggest selling record of all time (Eagles Greatest Hits I). In truth, Don is a great drummer. Try playing those parts with conviction and that incredible feel. It's pretty tough to do. While I can't stand Henley personally, the man is hugely talented, he wrote most of their hits, sang most of their hits and played incredibly great drum parts throughout their career.

Burps

Reaction score
I too was watching those Eagle concerts a few months ago on AXS TV. One thing that stood out to me, was how Henley played "I Can't Tell You Why". It has been talked about before, that really low, yet really fat snare sound on that particular recording. I don't know if he played that song in the studio the same way he played it live. But in the concert he was hitting a tom the same time he was hitting the snare. When I saw that, I was like, "So that's how he got that really fat snare sound!" Evidently it was a combination of a low pitched rack tom being played at the same time as the snare. Good to know if anyone tries to copy that sound.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
One thing I really like about Henley is the way he continued his tom rolls all they way to 1 then right to the hi hat and snare on 2, forgoing the cliche crash hit. I though that was pretty original and it inspired my approach way back. I think Henley on a whole was pretty judicious with his crash cymbals which I like.

As far as 16 year old girls, quaaludes and overdoses; Hollywood has long been a den of debased sensualism. The only thing that surprises me about that story is that he got arrested for it.

“Well, she was just seventeen”

“You’re sixteen, your beautiful and you mine”

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I too was watching those Eagle concerts a few months ago on AXS TV. One thing that stood out to me, was how Henley played "I Can't Tell You Why". It has been talked about before, that really low, yet really fat snare sound on that particular recording. I don't know if he played that song in the studio the same way he played it live. But in the concert he was hitting a tom the same time he was hitting the snare. When I saw that, I was like, "So that's how he got that really fat snare sound!" Evidently it was a combination of a low pitched rack tom being played at the same time as the snare. Good to know if anyone tries to copy that sound.
The Al Jackson Jr. vibe... Think Al Green's "I'm Still In Love With You." A lot of session guys have done/do that and it comes from the great Al Jackson Jr.

DWFunk

Reaction score
The Al Jackson Jr. vibe... Think Al Green's "I'm Still In Love With You." A lot of session guys have done/do that and it comes from the great Al Jackson Jr.
Yep. You nailed it, Johnny D. First thing I thought about when I read the original post.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I was a huge Eagles fan, largely due to Joe Walsh. But Don Henley was a huge influence on me, as a singing drummer - and I loved his snare and hi hat sound. One of my favorite tracks - and one that is incredibly challenging to sing and play - is “Those Shoes”. There are other great examples, but that one stands out to me as some of his best work as a drummer and singer.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When the Eagles are on AXS TV, I can't quit watching. I have heard a lot on this forum about Don's snare sound. What I haven't heard much about, is his playing. Maybe I missed some threads? Anyway, I really like his playing and the sound of all his drums. He uses the butt of the stick on the snare often. I like that he has four toms too. It's really sick that Glenn died. Ace
There have been other threads, but happy to revisit this. As a teenager in the 70s, my band played a lot of Eagles songs and I totally overlooked the beauty and greatness of Don Henley's drumming. A shining example of being young and naive to what makes a great drummer, feel. Henley has a great, natural, feel. I won't compare him to Ringo in terms of style, but they're both often overlooked and under appreciated based on their simple approach, but man, try copping either guys' feel. Even the simplest Eagles songs like "Lying Eyes" and "Peaceful Easy Feeling" have a little something to them that eludes me from getting the right feel. Not to mention "Take It To The Limit" which is way more difficult to cop. Sure, simple to play the parts, but I'm talking about making it feel right. The older I get, the more obsessed I am with making songs feel the way they should.

And don't get me started on Ringo's feel... ;)

Last edited:

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
People have dogged Don Henley for both his 70's California sound and his drumming ability and both are nonsense, as far as I am concerned. His sound was an epic part of the 70's and his ability led to being probably the biggest band of the era with the biggest selling record of all time (Eagles Greatest Hits I). In truth, Don is a great drummer. Try playing those parts with conviction and that incredible feel. It's pretty tough to do. While I can't stand Henley personally, the man is hugely talented, he wrote most of their hits, sang most of their hits and played incredibly great drum parts throughout their career.
Perfectly stated, Treviso1! I hadn't read your post when I commented and we said essentially the same thing. He has an incredible feel. And great time, too. A naturally gifted drummer.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
New York Minute and a few, well many of the others he sings.. Henley Could have been a Beatle.

And...

I like the guitar player....the post 2001- one with the funny first name From Virginia... Holy sheeet!!!!!
There were two shows last night the earlier Hell Freezes Over from 1994... but the one from 2004 released in 2005 from Australia..............Holy sheeet! Was perfection!

Don's solo material or the ones where he's the lead....he's huge.
I don't look at his drumming as "Oh how what can I do with it" Yes I noticed the butt-end out in the left-- but that's just practical stuff- He's an emotional- the entire band was- event.
Special mention the guitarist from Virginia.
Eagle Farewell Tour 1- Steuart Smith

Last edited:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Perfectly stated, Treviso1! I hadn't read your post when I commented and we said essentially the same thing. He has an incredible feel. And great time, too. A naturally gifted drummer.
I am with you, brother! A naturally gifted drummer is right because he plays parts behind that amazing voice of his that never gets in the way of the song, yet they are incredibly creative and inventive. He makes everything sound deceptively easy, including his singing!

drumstuff66

Reaction score
Another big Henley fan here (his drumming, sound & songwriting)...Always wondered why he didn't play on more of his solo stuff? For example, he had Porcaro track Dirty Laundry - never quite got that one...You pay arguably the number one studio guy at the time to play a simple beat when you're a professional that has been recording your own drum parts forever?

Last edited: