Done with EBay and Reverb

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I canceled my EBay account about a year ago now and jus requested to cancel my Reverb account . I find the lack of support for sellers from either service to be atrocious . I prefer to sell to forum members as well . Too many flakes and freaks on EBay and Reverb . Anyone else having issues with EBay and Reverb ?

musicman64

Reaction score
Apparently I got caught in the exact middle of the recent Reverb adventure. My preferred and only method of payment was Paypal, for everything. I sold a drum set at 8pm wednesday{ under the old reverb}..and was paid thursday noon{ under the new. non Paypal reverb } Now the money is being held by reverb until I join a new payment system { that I have never heard of} and supposedly if/ after I do this, I will have to wait for 5-10 days after the buyer receives the drum set to be paid. And all of this is second hand info. I gleaned from posts here. Reverb has never emailed me, or answered my emails or contacted me in any way, about this change.. so me and buyer are in Reverb limbo.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not so much ebay. Ebay seems the same old as it's always been. I bought recently a used camera and a used 18" A from eBay and it all went well.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had better luck selling and buying from Reverb. For now, I'm sticking with them instead of that cesspool eBay.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not buying/sellinh drums - but I'm selling (and occasionally buying) other stuff on Ebay all of the time with pretty much zero drama whatsoever.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Reverb seems to be working fine for me. Sold a couple dozen items just this past 2 months under "lock down." But it takes some work. You get a lot questions, requests, tire kicking, etc. I just figure I have to hang in there if I want to get stuff sold. Hopefully, this new payment system w/o PayPal doesn't alter things.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I quit selling on eBay sometime ago. The total bite that they and Paypal take from you became too much. I still buy there. Mostly non-music related stuff. Reverb is not a place from which I would sell or buy. No reason other than it does not have the brand appeal or perceived buyer advocacy that Sweetwater, Amazon or eBay enjoy.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I quit selling on eBay sometime ago. The total bite that they and Paypal take from you became too much. I still buy there. Mostly non-music related stuff. Reverb is not a place from which I would sell or buy. No reason other than it does not have the brand appeal or perceived buyer advocacy that Sweetwater, Amazon or eBay enjoy.
I'm going to disagree to a point. I've been a member on Reverb for a year now. I've had excellent customer service as well as met and dealt with many good clients that I still do business with. I've even got repeat buyers. Sadly, I've about run out of things to sell.

For me to get paid, once I post the tracking information, the money is in my bank account within 2 days. I couldn't be happier other than FedEx over charging when they can. I have 3 disputes with them right now.

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree to a point. I've been a member on Reverb for a year now. I've had excellent customer service as well as met and dealt with many good clients that I still do business with. I've even got repeat buyers. Sadly, I've about run out of things to sell.

For me to get paid, once I post the tracking information, the money is in my bank account within 2 days. I couldn't be happier other than FedEx over charging when they can. I have 3 disputes with them right now.
I second that. Pretty much same experience I had with Reverb.

drumjinxjr

Reaction score
Not so much ebay. Ebay seems the same old as it's always been. I bought recently a used camera and a used 18" A from eBay and it all went well.
BUYING on Ebay is awesome. The buyer has so many great options and deals, and is protected by Ebay in every possible manner. Sellers, on the other hand, are treated like garbage and milked for every last cent Ebay can squeeze out.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score

Noticed that I said "perceived" in my quoted post. I just never trusted Reverb, and now that Paypal is not accepted, the final block is lack of convenience. The former - my lack of trust - is subjective and has no basis in how I was treated. The latter is just too inconvenient for me to consider using Reverb.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Noticed that I said "perceived" in my quoted post. I just never trusted Reverb, and now that Paypal is not accepted, the final block is lack of convenience. The former - my lack of trust - is subjective and has no basis in how I was treated. The latter is just too inconvenient for me to consider using Reverb.
Again, I am going to disagree. Why have a 3rd party get involved when it comes to the money? I can understand person to person where Paypal will be a great asset. But Reverb has convenient terms for buyers and the sellers get their money pronto. Where is the inconvenience you perceive? I'm not trying to argue but if you know something I don't, I wanna know, too! :)

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Again, I am going to disagree. Why have a 3rd party get involved when it comes to the money? I can understand person to person where Paypal will be a great asset. But Reverb has convenient terms for buyers and the sellers get their money pronto. Where is the inconvenience you perceive? I'm not trying to argue but if you know something I don't, I wanna know, too! :)
It isn't a matter of whether or not you agree with me. That is not your place. I expressed an opinion and a course of action. The opinion is mine alone and not subject to anyone's agreement, disagreement or approval. Same with my stated course of action. That is my prerogative. Liking it, of course, is optional. To answer the question of inconvenience: for me it's the inability to use paypal, which is the only online payment system that I trust, and one that has proven to be very convenient to me.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have much left really that I consider selling which is good. Last thing I sold on eBay was a cymbal that was returned for cracks in the bell. I was overly nice to the guy and I still felt he was an ahole back to me...but I was only out some inconvenience and shipping costs and traded it here and everyone was happy...so if I do have more to sale it will be here or local

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, Reverb payments have been quick, reliable, and completely hassle free for me. I’ve been a “preferred seller” for a couple years.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It isn't a matter of whether or not you agree with me. That is not your place. I expressed an opinion and a course of action. The opinion is mine alone and not subject to anyone's agreement, disagreement or approval. Same with my stated course of action. That is my prerogative. Liking it, of course, is optional. To answer the question of inconvenience: for me it's the inability to use paypal, which is the only online payment system that I trust, and one that has proven to be very convenient to me.
Ok, have a great weekend.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If it wasn't for Reverb, I would have never been able to buy the kit that I just bought (for the price I paid!). The Ludwig factory store only lists on Reverb!
For sellers both eBay & Reverb have some issues but as a buyer they are fine. Just make sure you buy from reputable people. And about the fees as a seller, it is what it is, you are paying eBay to have your item exposed to the biggest audience possible. Anything I've ever sold has had the largest view count of any selling venue I have tried. Compare Reverb & eBay to any other online way to sell. The other places to sell and buy have no protections. By the way, I've previously complained as well but I've realized that they still remain the better places to buy & sell. eBay member since 1997 so I've seen the up's & down's of eBay since the beginning!

Last edited:

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
BUYING on Ebay is awesome. The buyer has so many great options and deals, and is protected by Ebay in every possible manner. Sellers, on the other hand, are treated like garbage and milked for every last cent Ebay can squeeze out.
Maybe I just remember too well what it was like not that long ago.

Classified ads-$$$ "Recycler" type listings - no pics or $$$

And after that expense, everything had to be in cash... in person (PITA and often dangerous) or argh, dealing with money orders.

The idea of being able to take credit cards wasn't even a dream - it was so expensive and out of reach - unless you were running a storefront.

But with Ebay/Paypal -

I get worldwide advertising/ad placement for 9% of sales - and pennies to place.

And then the ability to accept credit cards - with no monthly fee, no minimums...

Sorry - but IMO sellers have never had it so good...

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
I love ebay. I have over 2466 transactions. 2445 as a buyer and 21 as a seller since 2004. I bought lots of no longer made used music equipment off ebay. Bought lots more 80's tama superstar drums , tama stands that i didnt find around here. ebay is the greatest thing that ever happend for used stuff. I also love craigs list. I have a several items for sale on craigslist right now including this really nice 1977 fender twin reverb.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had a few cases with Paypal. What a bunch of ass hats there. Especially as a seller. And their communication is even worse.

I haven’t sold under the new rules on Reverb (loved it the last years) so I can’t judge that yet.

I lost more than 1k on eBay and they didn’t do jack for me. Always hassitant when using that.

Latest posts