Done with RIMS mounts!

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
A number of years ago I had a Camco kit that had a RIMS mount on the toms. It seemed much more resonant with it on. But then I started experimenting move the Tom along the arm. I started close to the post and gradually slid the Tom further and further out to the end while striking the tom. Eventually I found the sweet spot and that was when I first started breaking away from the RIMS mounts.

Around 15 years ago I had a custom kit made. Bass drum was virgin along the the 12” Tom. For years I’ve been schlepping a double braced cymbal stand just so I can hang the 12”tom.

Well today I finally did it. My custom kit is no longer a virgin w/ RIMS! I was originally thinking I would do a rail but having 5 Gretsch kits, I decided to go Gretsch as I really like the design.

While I still had the drill out, I also de-virginized my Tony Williams yellow13” tom!

Attachments

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I've always hated any kind of suspension mount. They're extra weight and they cause the toms to shake around — no thank you. My rack toms sound great using the standard Ludwig L-rod shell mounts, and on my older set the rack toms sound great using *GASP!* Pearl through-the-shell mounts.

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using RIMS since they were released a couple lifetimes ago. I really like them, especially the newer ones that mount to just three lugs. A highly subjective subject.
Regards
Don
2D7E5881-B5B8-4E69-86C9-319B00BB22E1.jpeg

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The "rims" style mounts on my ddrum kit, yes ddrum kit--THE STURDIEST I've personally used and seen. Once I set them, they DO NOT move. I've had the rack toms mounted about a 1/4" from each other, they will not touch, they do not move.

With that said, I don't have anything against any kind of setup. I have a couple virgin basses that I'll use snare stands with, and I have other regular rack mounting style toms. It just depends on what you like and what works.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had the Ludwig Vibramounts on my last kit and couldn't stand them. They were especially a pain when it came time to change heads. I love my current Atlas mounts!

AustinFitz

Reaction score
My previous kit had RIMS mounts, and while I didn't hate them, I didn't really like them either. My current kit is a 1980 Maple shell Pearl with the "through-the-shell" mounts. Maybe I'm crazy, but I much prefer the solid Pearl mounts. Easier head changes, you can position multiple toms closer together, no bouncing or shaking, clean and simple look... It also happens to be the best sounding kit I've ever personally played, and I get lots of compliments on their sound from others, so for me, I'm sticking with the old school solid tom mounting.