Don't know if 23 yrs old is considered vintage but...

Niteclub64

Reaction score
This is my latest mid-life crises purchase. Gonna be 55 next month and lately I've been reminiscing about deeper tom depths and a larger set than the 4 pc. Tama Superstar custom kit I had been playing for the last few years. While perusing the facebook marketplace site, I came across this mid 90's nine piece Pearl Session series MONSTER that I have lovingly dubbed "Big Teal" as it is finished in my favorite teal lacquer from that period. I actually owned a smaller 5 pc. version of this kit in the same finish bought brand new back then and immediately regretted selling it because it always sounded as good as it looked. Looking forward to cleaning, polishing and restoring it to it's former glory! The kid I bought this from said "if I didn't sell it, I was going to spray paint it a matte black". I gasped "NO, I'm so glad you didn't"! His annoyed father agreed with me as I handed over the cash and began hustling them out of there. I'm not thrilled with the ISS mounts and never have been but I'm going to try to modify them a little by replacing the metal spacers on the ISS brackets with rubber grommets and try putting adhesive backed foam rubber on top of the bracket lip where the rim rests to try to isolate the toms a little better. If that doesn't work, I'll probably go back to my favorite tried and true R.I.M.s method of mounting. Sizes are 8X8, 10X10, 12X10, 13X11, 14X12, 16X14, 18X16 ,22X16 and what I consider an awesome bonus: a matching 6.5X14 snare!

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would certainly call it "vintage"! Heck, it's 23 years old! While I was never a fan of "power" toms, I really liked Pearl's Teal finish. Their lacquer finishes were always done well. You did right to get this kit and avoid having them being painted matte black! As we get older (I'm almost 65!) we tend to want to obtain those kits that we fondly remember when we first began drumming. Going back at least 20 years is "vintage" in my mind! Have fun with your "new" drums and getting them all cleaned up, just the way you remembered them!

-Mark

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love the early Session series, the ones with the Pearl logo in a black circle. The snare, too. A best kept secret. Enjoy!!

Dan

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I had one of those (different sizes, same finish) for a little while. Fantastic build. Congrats!

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for saving this from the evil black paint!!! I've played a couple (yup, both 'teal') Sessions from this era and they are super well built drums. A friend of mine has gigged the bejeeezus out of his for several decades & they're holding up nicely & sound BIG. Neither kit I've played had the matching snare though, so you really scored with that! I got to try a deep sequoia BLX snare that was pretty evil & I'm sure the 6.5X14 Sessions has cajones to match those big toms.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wouldn't call them vintage, never, but I think they are fine drums. Pearl got really good in the 90's in their top and even midlines. You could try to find a matching 20" BD and have 2 kits out of all that! Points for saving it from the dreaded black paint, drum lover's nemesis going way back.

Niteclub64

Reaction score
Actually I already had thoughts of getting a floor tom conversion kit for the 18 and doing a jungle kit with that for smaller, quieter gigs. We'll see what happens, right now I'm enjoying pounding on that thing as a floor, I haven't had one in this size since the late 80's.

Niteclub64

Reaction score
I would certainly call it "vintage"! Heck, it's 23 years old! While I was never a fan of "power" toms, I really liked Pearl's Teal finish. Their lacquer finishes were always done well. You did right to get this kit and avoid having them being painted matte black! As we get older (I'm almost 65!) we tend to want to obtain those kits that we fondly remember when we first began drumming. Going back at least 20 years is "vintage" in my mind! Have fun with your "new" drums and getting them all cleaned up, just the way you remembered them!

-Mark
Maybe I think of it as vintage because the deeper toms of that era have gone by the wayside to make way for the shallower "fast sizes" and custom pancakes you see today. I just always liked the thunderous sounds from a deep tom and it was pretty cool getting the 8 and 10 toms in square sizes.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Actually I already had thoughts of getting a floor tom conversion kit for the 18 and doing a jungle kit with that for smaller, quieter gigs. We'll see what happens, right now I'm enjoying pounding on that thing as a floor, I haven't had one in this size since the late 80's.
Yeah, that'll do - a temporary conversion rig. The Dixson Lift may help matters..