header.nohb.html

DONT SELL IF U WONT SHIP!!!

Neilrush88

Reaction score
I'm in the other side. In my case prefer shipping instead of picking, because for my work it makes some inconveniences for the time and places, many people want more central location or a specific time that I cant go or not willing to go, in my country the people is extremely unpunctual, it annoys me a lot (I've had many problems with that). Also I ship other things once o twice per week and in my the store's warehouse I have many boxes for any "drum necessities" so I dont have any problem shipping.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's assuming that (1) there is a local drum store, and (2) they will provide that service.
Is there a drums only store near us? I’ve looked a little and the only one I found shut down a while back.

Formula 602

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It could look like This! Lol
Interesting..the most messed up boxes I see online..almost always have the 7 letter word…F R A G I L E ..all over them…Coincidence?..I think not……more so…a disgruntled employee taking out aggression on boxes marked as such….

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Is there a drums only store near us? I’ve looked a little and the only one I found shut down a while back.
There is Daytona Beach Drum Company, but just because there is a drum store does not mean that they would offer packing and shipping as a service.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is Daytona Beach Drum Company, but just because there is a drum store does not mean that they would offer packing and shipping as a service.
Right, not concerned about that, just wanted to know. Too bad it’s in Daytona, which I try to avoid at all costs ;)

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Shipped my first kit on Reverb 3 yrs ago because everyone locally was offering 70% or less of the wholesale value.
To be sure I left no weak links in the packaging.....it took me 6-7 hours to get that one done. 2 boxes. 5 drums.
I used an old 24" bass drum case (nearly 27" at widest dimension and 20" tall) with a handle. That made the 67 lbs a lot easier to move around.
My next one "only" took about 4-5 hrs - same set up as the first one.

The only time I had a drum arrive to me damaged was from a major national re-seller who sub-contracts their packaging to Kinko's, and other similar stores.
That bass drum was even packed up. A couple wraps of bubble wrap around it and then tossed into a bare single ply box where it could bounce around all over the place.
They essentially blamed me for the damage because it was the "only one" they ever had arrived damaged. Therefore.......it had to be my "faulty" opening of the package......not their packaging.

I try to avoid shipping floor toms, bass drums, and full kits whenever possible.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me, it's not worth the time, trouble, risk, and expense to ship full kits. I did it twice. I sold half of my 80's Superstars (24, 13, 15, 18) in like 2001 and it was $85 to ship from NY to California. Then I sold my Starclassic Performer (22/10/12/14) and shipped to the Midwest in around 2003, and it cost about $120.

I shipped an empty stick bag from NY to Washington state a couple of years ago and it cost nearly $40! I'm usually very patient when selling gear, so I can hold out for a local buyer. I also live within 50 miles of NYC, so the market is pretty robust.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, but they're

True, but they're liable if it doesn't make it in one piece and you've declare the right value in advance.
I suppose that's true, but paying 2 or 3 times what it costs to do it yourself, over time is losing proposition.
Plus, I doubt 99% of ups stores would have anyone that understands how to properly pack a drum or cymbal. Heck, Sweetwater sent me an 18" cymbal in an 18" box.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Only people who sell drums for a living really understand how to ship an entire set efficiently and economically. It comes from experience, trial and error, and the knowledge that only comes from having done it many, many times.
The average one-time drum seller doesn't know how and usually is so intimidated that they won't even try. Not that I blame them, I've shipped more sets than I can count, and although it gets easier with experience, it still requires a lot of effort. I always try to sell locally first and will sometimes even give a discount just to avoid the extra work involved in packing.