Don't Use Steel Wool On Chrome

Leedyman

Reaction score
The bottom line is that steel wool scratches period whatever grade you use. Using 0000 wool you get fine scratches and yes it's there. Using any other grade you get heavier scratches depending on the grade. I have a quote from a famous drum dealer. Would you use steel wool on your face.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Leedyman said:
The bottom line is ...would you use steel wool on your face.
I would, though my brother and I were raised on Charles Bronson movies.

topher465

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If there is rust and pitting on a drum, the alternative methods do not take the same amount of time. You can see and rub a hoop with a rag and polish - but it will take much longer than hitting the area with a little 0000. Same thing with a soap/water bath.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
topher465 said:
If there is rust and pitting on a drum, the alternative methods do not take the same amount of time. You can see and rub a hoop with a rag and polish - but it will take much longer than hitting the area with a little 0000. Same thing with a soap/water bath.
Crumpled aluminum foil seems just as fast as steel wool without any chance of chrome damage

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Perhaps the topic of vision needs to come out. Is it possible some of us literally don't see the scratches due to either not looking close enough in the right lighting or just not having 20/20?

Finally, perhaps the relevant condition of the drum may justify the use of steel for some simply because the drum is going to be a 7.5 out of 10 after its cleaned up?

Steel wool users, assume you bought a brand new Craviotto limited snare. After owning it a month it is full of fingerprints and cheese because you couldn't keep your paws off it. Would you be willing to steel wool it to clean it? Now, would you be willing to let someone else steel wool it for you?

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
clowndog said:
Perhaps the topic of vision needs to come out. Is it possible some of us literally don't see the scratches due to either not looking close enough in the right lighting or just not having 20/20?

Finally, perhaps the relevant condition of the drum may justify the use of steel for some simply because the drum is going to be a 7.5 out of 10 after its cleaned up?

Steel wool users, assume you bought a brand new Craviotto limited snare. After owning it a month it is full of fingerprints and cheese because you couldn't keep your paws off it. Would you be willing to steel wool it to clean it? Now, would you be willing to let someone else steel wool it for you?
Apples to oranges imo. I don't think anyone was suggesting to use steel wool on good newer chrome but rather on certain hardware that has rust that can't seem to be removed by traditional rag and polish. Seems like a bath in citric acid powder is just as effective tho

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
JCKLudwig said:

Apples to oranges imo. I don't think anyone was suggesting to use steel wool on good newer chrome but rather on certain hardware that has rust that can't seem to be removed by traditional rag and polish. Seems like a bath in citric acid powder is just as effective tho
The question is posed to gauge the level of trust the users of steel wool have in it. It is a valid question to establish their confidence in its use.

topher465

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My trust - never use on a shell. Ever. However, most of the drums I get, the hardware isn't perfect - nor close to it. There's pits, scratches, and imperfections already on it. Almost every time I use 0000 to clean one of these types of hardware up-I look at it for microscratches. I don't know - maybe it's because I wear glances but I can't see any. Perhaps if the plating is newer - you'll see scratches. I've never used 0000 on any drum parts that are newer or where the plating just looks to be dirty.

ThePloughman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
topher465 said:
My trust - never use on a shell. Ever. However, most of the drums I get, the hardware isn't perfect - nor close to it. There's pits, scratches, and imperfections already on it. Almost every time I use 0000 to clean one of these types of hardware up-I look at it for microscratches. I don't know - maybe it's because I wear glances but I can't see any. Perhaps if the plating is newer - you'll see scratches. I've never used 0000 on any drum parts that are newer or where the plating just looks to be dirty.
That point is not in the recommendations that are routinely floated around. With some on the average dirty drum, the first recommendation is to use 0000 or soak it in acid. There is little regard for rust. The idea is that those things are what you do first to polish the drum. I think this is hopeless. The Titanic was in fact sinking even though the wealthiest people chose not to put on life preservers because the ship was unsinkable.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Take a look using a magnifying glass at the parts that have been steel-wooled. You will see the 100's of swirl marks in the surface. These cannot be removed. Many folks cannot see them without any magnification, but they are there.

As far as using it on chrome that already has rust or pitting etc: why would you want to cause more wear to the plating?

Using chrome polish, admittedly this requires a lot more effort, I can remove rust from almost any parts. And the impact of the pitting will be diminished as well. Using steel wool on the pitting merely 'shaves' the top of the pits off, giving the appearance of the pits having been removed.

As far as it being a time-saver, restoring drums (or cars or guitars etc) is by definition a time-consuming process and the prime rule of such an effort is 'do no damage'.

Of course, none of what I have said will make any difference to those who assert they have seen otherwise.
I'm not trying to start any arguments, just stating my point of view.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Can't believe we're having this conversation again. Here's the deal: DO NOT, under any circumstance, use any abrasives--from steel wool to Comet toilet cleanser--on your chrome hardware. Period. End of story. If you do, you will diminish the value of your drum in mere seconds.

QED.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
tommykat1 said:
Can't believe we're having this conversation again. Here's the deal: DO NOT, under any circumstance, use any abrasives--from steel wool to Comet toilet cleanser--on your chrome hardware. Period. End of story. If you do, you will diminish the value of your drum in mere seconds.

QED.

Sometimes I use Comet on my throne.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
tommykat1 said:

QED.
But.... This is DFO. It's what we DO here... :laughing5: :laughing6: :laughing2: