Don't you hate it when your drum kit shows up for sale on CL..... and you were the last to know??

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Imagine my surprise when going through some CL listings last night to find my own drum kit for sale.....lol. It seems some "motivated" scammer lifted 2 photos out of the February Ebay auction where I got the kit from. The 2 photos were part of the last owner's listing. Listing price is $300. Not bad for an all birch, 7 pc pro level shell pack that typically sells for 2X to 3X that. Motivated "seller" so they claim. Hopefully, no one is stupid enough to Paypal them $300 and expect these to be sitting on the front porch awaiting pickup. A buyer should ask them to post the bass drum for sale in that same photo with the other drums....only problem being is that they don't have any of those drums to re-create these photos. The Ebay seller listed all serial numbers in their original listing. New seller would have a problem providing serial number photos on any of the drums....lol.

This happen to anyone else? Guess the Ebay listing I purchased from just happened to win the Lottery yesterday. Reported to CL admin....though I doubt they even get to it for a week or more. NY City Craig's List under "Tama Starclassic Performer Series 7 piece shell kit"....title copied word for word from Ebay.

Your win! I need to sell. Starclassic Performer Series 7 Piece Shell Kit. Cherry walnut finish. Excellent condition. One set of hardware (for mounting two toms on the kick drum) is included

Tama starclassic Ebay 1.jpg

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I feel your pain.
I had someone lift stills from a video I made, demo-ing the Tama bell brass reissue from years ago. They used it for a fraudulent auction. A couple of years later, someone stole the whole video itself to put up a fake auction.

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i had someone use photos of a set i took in my kitchen for his ad... to be fair, when i googled the kit brand, my photo was the only one that came up

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had someone use my photo's to sell a kit I assumed was similar to mine since the only photo was of my kit and I still owned it. People suck.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I actually thought this thread was going to go somewhere else when I clicked on it. I thought we were going to be treated to a story about a guy who's drums were listed on CL by his former or soon to be former wife without him knowing and having to buy his own drums in order to keep them. And just to be clear, this DID NOT happen to me. Well, at least not yet, anyway.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
So sad, I’ve been looking for a new TIG welder and a Miller Dynasty 280 popped up on Craigslist right down the road from me for $1200. Very exited but also, wait a minute, too good to be true. A reverse google image search showed that the photo came from a New Mexico auction site.

These miserable B*******, give me 15 seconds in an abandoned Sears with a 36” piece of PVC conduit with them.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had someone steal my photo for a baldness treatment ad ..... I should have asked if that entitled me to a discount ......:)

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
And 24 hrs later, Craig's List is still letting that ad run. I'm not surprised.

POST THE LINK!

I think it's time for everyone that's stuck at home ( and those that are not ) to have some fun! :twisted:

Might as well do something while on lockdown. :icon_e_biggrin:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I sold a 1946 WFL set once. I live in NH and while looking at CL San Diego out of boredom I saw my set listed at half the price. They copied everything and just changed the price. I was like WTF??

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
About 15 years ago, someone posted my highly modified Civic Si for sale on Ebay. Especially since I was driving it still :rolleyes:

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I found the picture of my Silverstars that was "stolen" for a listing someone else had. Here's one of the ones the other seller used. You can probably tell what evidence would easily determine who's kit it is. Maybe just a little hint of background objects?

TAMA_Superstar_Classics.jpg

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
In a weird twist, I responded to an ad for a bop sized 60s Gretsch kit. They sent a picture and they looked good, but everything seemed weird about them.
I ended up going to get them and ended up being a 20", which I showed with my tape measure and got them for a very good price.