Doom Schneider Lifts the Curtain on Drumming in Communist East Germany

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
"One of the first" is more than a few degrees of difference short of "the bulk of the American Punk scene coalesced in the Georgetown section of Washington DC."

Raleigh had multiple punk bands in the late 70s/early 80s, the most successful of which is Corrosion of Conformity.
You forgot to write; “and most influential.” If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it does it get signed to a record label?

Listen to John Adams interview on Tim Kelly. I think you’ll find it interesting.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is it absurd? Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Fugazi, SOA, Iron Cross, The Teen Idels.

Out of curiosity and fully aware that this could blow up in my face but who did your Town 400 miles away produce? View attachment 448682
The DC scene was inspired by the LA Hardcore scene and it was very small although it produced some highly influential bands. I wouldn't say it was the "most influential" though- Apart from Bad Brains (which relocated to NYC in 1979/80 anyway) and Minor Threat I can't really think of any other bands that were that much of an influence on the National level. Fugazi came much later and SOA is only known today because Henry Rollins was the front man- they recorded one 7". Same for the Teen Idels- they are really just known for being Ian McKaye's first band.

At the same time there were larger Punk Scenes going on in LA, San Francisco, Minneapolis, NYC, Boston, Cleveland, Akron/Canton, Athens GA and fringe scenes in Texas, Oregon and Washington Sate- DC was hardly unique in this regard.

I would say the biggest acts in 1980's Punk came out of the LA SST Scene- you had bigger bands moving there during the heyday and every Punk/Indie act wanted to be on SST from 1980-87.