Double bass pedals

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alright, I've got enough cymbals to last a lifetime.
Now it's time to get some decent double pedals.
I have some real old DW 5000's (the single chain era)
Some 7000's I just don't like very much.
Anyway, I mostly use a cheap Pearl single pedal. For some reason, I really like the control, dynamics, and speed I get from em. I was thinking of getting some 9000's, or Axis long boards, but for me I just want something simple to clean, adjust, and parts won't cost as much as the pedals.
I've been looking at the Pearl P-932's. Long board, I like the cheap Pearl single I have, and the one time I tried em out, they felt great.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Nathan Grant

Reaction score
Do you have a local store where you can just sit down and try a wide variety of pedals? That being said, the 932's are excellent, and the price is really good for what you're getting IMO. My favorite double pedal is the DW 5000's (the 20...15?), but I don't think it's worth twice the price of the 932 lol. My vote is go for the 932s!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you have a local store where you can just sit down and try a wide variety of pedals? That being said, the 932's are excellent, and the price is really good for what you're getting IMO. My favorite double pedal is the DW 5000's (the 20...15?), but I don't think it's worth twice the price of the 932 lol. My vote is go for the 932s!
Yeah, the GC near me is almost always empty. The employees/manager let me play as long as I want. The only problem is the lack of variety. Besides Sabian, and Zildjian cymbals it's real hit or miss.
I am leaning towards the Pearl's. Any drawbacks that you've encountered?
Easy to adjust, clean, made well?
The one thing I don't like with most double pedals is the bar connection is almost always too long for my liking/set up.
Like the DW's, even the shortest setting is too long for my liking.
That being said, if both pedals feel good, I will compromise.
Geez, my DW 5000's are from mid 90's or earlier. When I went to that cheap Pearl, it felt great!

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always recommend the Trick Pro-1 V pedals. The left slave pedal feels better than all other pedals that I've tried. They can take some time to get used to but I find that it's worth it for the performance and setup options that they allow.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the feel of long boards and I chose the Speed Cobra Double Pedal................no regrets.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the GC near me is almost always empty. The employees/manager let me play as long as I want. The only problem is the lack of variety. Besides Sabian, and Zildjian cymbals it's real hit or miss.
I am leaning towards the Pearl's. Any drawbacks that you've encountered?
Easy to adjust, clean, made well?
The one thing I don't like with most double pedals is the bar connection is almost always too long for my liking/set up.
Like the DW's, even the shortest setting is too long for my liking.
That being said, if both pedals feel good, I will compromise.
Geez, my DW 5000's are from mid 90's or earlier. When I went to that cheap Pearl, it felt great!
I can't speak for that model, but I've been playing the eliminator for years without fail. The 932 has some great reviews. I still like the good old DW 5000 as well.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been playing the Tama Pro Beat double pedals since the early 1990's. They've never let me down. I like the feel too. Saw a very mint pair of those for $60 and was tempted to buy them because they were much nicer than mine. I recently tried some early 1990's Pearl double pedals (first version?) and those were decent. I just can't see spending over $100-$125 for a set of used double pedals. I even tried some PDP 505's (DW's lower line) and those were ok too. Selling the PDP's which are nearly new to a friend for $60.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been playing the Tama Pro Beat double pedals since the early 1990's. They've never let me down. I like the feel too. Saw a very mint pair of those for $60 and was tempted to buy them because they were much nicer than mine. I recently tried some early 1990's Pearl double pedals (first version?) and those were decent. I just can't see spending over $100-$125 for a set of used double pedals. I even tried some PDP 505's (DW's lower line) and those were ok too. Selling the PDP's which are nearly new to a friend for $60.
Yeah, I'm going to get em new. If I sold my pedals, I wouldn't want to be the buyer.
As for the DW's the boards are just a too short. I know it really shouldn't matter, but when I started using the single standard Pesrl pedal, I noticed the board to be a bit longer, and I can get more spring tension. I also I've heard foot size shouldn't make a difference? I guess if you really know your pedals, they don't. That being said again, I really like the slightly larger foot board on the Pearl (I do wear size 15). I used to play barefoot, but I do get more power, and just as much accuracy with shoes, or sneakers with smooth soles.
I'll head down to GC, and see if anything wows me. If not, I'm going to get these 932's.
My biggest reservation is the price. When something seems too good to be true, it is.
If they have to order them, I'll still get em, set em up in the store, and if I don't like em, I'll return em on the spot. Hopefully they will have em.
In most ratings, they are always rated towards the top of the list

Yeah, they're longbordes, so I'll let ya know what I think.
Appreciate the input!

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use the Offset pedal. Super high quality! It's overbuilt like a tank. If you want to be centered on your kit and truly feel like if you had 2 bass drums, the offset does it! To me standard double pedals feel unnatural, the offset feels like if you truly had 2 bass drums and you sit as such. And if you like longboards, these are oversized.
I will never go back to a regular double pedal again. I was sceptical when I bought it until I tried it. It's truly remarkable.
https://offsetpedal.com/
11.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
6.JPG

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those off set pedals really feel good huh. Did it take some time to adjust?

Well, I went to GC. The computer said it had 1 in inventory. Nope, but there were some used ones. They're very well built, and designed, especially for the money.
I'll see how they feel over the next month of so. If I can't get comfortable with em, I'll have to come back to this thread and see what the consensus is.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IROD, That's a beautiful kit btw!

Here's the Peal p 932's. Well, at worst I return em, at best, they play as well as they look
20190309_215041.jpg
20190309_215057.jpg

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m on the lookout for my dream double pedal ... the Tama Camco Double.
One day ...

For now, I have a couple of DW doubles that are ok. Pretty good feel. Not terrible.
I have Larry Londin’s double he used with the kit I picked up from him years ago. It’s a Gibraltar. Not great quality as far as today’s pedals go, but it gets the job done. Not as smooth as a Camco single, but not bad.

My call would be the Camco Double.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m on the lookout for my dream double pedal ... the Tama Camco Double.
One day ...

For now, I have a couple of DW doubles that are ok. Pretty good feel. Not terrible.
I have Larry Londin’s double he used with the kit I picked up from him years ago. It’s a Gibraltar. Not great quality as far as today’s pedals go, but it gets the job done. Not as smooth as a Camco single, but not bad.

My call would be the Camco Double.
I may have to check em out.
An old friend of mine has an endorsement with Gibraltar. I don't know what model they were/are, but they were very well built, and felt great. Gibraltar makes some nice hardware

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those off set pedals really feel good huh. Did it take some time to adjust?

Well, I went to GC. The computer said it had 1 in inventory. Nope, but there were some used ones. They're very well built, and designed, especially for the money.
I'll see how they feel over the next month of so. If I can't get comfortable with em, I'll have to come back to this thread and see what the consensus is.
The consensus will always be regular double pedals because it's what everybody has and it's what's available to try in store. It's one of those weird unorthodox things that you have to just try and that others are not going to agree with. And the ones that won't agree or understand are the ones that see it with scepticism and haven't tried it. (I was one of those!) but I know it's not for everybody, nothing is! All I know is that I took the plunge and ordered it from the manufacturer without trying it and that was it. I wanted that center sitting position and was desperate for my single bass drum to feel like 2 bass drums and this was the solution. And it is! And about getting used to it, took me playing once and that was that. I felt immediately like I was back in the past playing 2 kicks which is what I had years ago. It was amazing for me. Listen, I loved it so much that 1 week after buying it, I spent an extra $80 buying an extra set of drive rods in case they ever break. (I doubt they will but just in case). And they even have an option to upgrade to direct drive if you ever would want that instead of chain drive. I'm seriously even considering buying another brand new one this year just to have it in case this thing ever disappears off the market. I really don't want to ever have to go back to a regular double pedal system. The offset is my favorite piece of hardware that I own!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
IROD, That's a beautiful kit btw!

Here's the Peal p 932's. Well, at worst I return em, at best, they play as well as they look View attachment 389788 View attachment 389789
Thank you, those are pictures from last year. I've swapped out all my cymbals to Istanbul Mehmet's. So it's even better now. I don't gig and have a dedicated room in my house for my music stuff so I have the advantage of building a big kit and move stuff around as I please. It's just a hobby but a passionate one. Those Pearl pedals look fine. Maybe you like them. I had Gibraltar before and they were fine until my seating position changed with the Offset. Even my posture is different now. I'm not twisted over to the left. Next up is a new throne. I need something good and I'm probably gonna get a soundseat. Problem is I need to allocate it in my budget. I've spent to much this last year on all this stuff. And my wife is taking notice Lol!
Let us know how it goes for you.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you, those are pictures from last year. I've swapped out all my cymbals to Istanbul Mehmet's. So it's even better now. I don't gig and have a dedicated room in my house for my music stuff so I have the advantage of building a big kit and move stuff around as I please. It's just a hobby but a passionate one. Those Pearl pedals look fine. Maybe you like them. I had Gibraltar before and they were fine until my seating position changed with the Offset. Even my posture is different now. I'm not twisted over to the left. Next up is a new throne. I need something good and I'm probably gonna get a soundseat. Problem is I need to allocate it in my budget. I've spent to much this last year on all this stuff. And my wife is taking notice Lol!
Let us know how it goes for you.
If you're passionate about playing, enjoy it, and have the room that's what matters most.
I've had to move in, and out of houses for work. I love it when I have a "drum room". We bought a house 3 years ago, so I've gotten to play as much as I've wanted. Right now is a bit tough coming off a spinal fusion, but if I keep my sessions under 1/2 hour at a time, it isn't too bad.
The offset pedals may really help my back out.
I have to say, for the price, or any price for that matter, these pedals are amazing! A fee small adjustments, and they feel great!

If I can find a dam music store near me where I can try the offsets out, I'd definitely consider it!
I've never owned a double kick kit, and those offsets seem like it would give you the same deal, but more comfortable

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you're passionate about playing, enjoy it, and have the room that's what matters most.
I've had to move in, and out of houses for work. I love it when I have a "drum room". We bought a house 3 years ago, so I've gotten to play as much as I've wanted. Right now is a bit tough coming off a spinal fusion, but if I keep my sessions under 1/2 hour at a time, it isn't too bad.
The offset pedals may really help my back out.
I have to say, for the price, or any price for that matter, these pedals are amazing! A fee small adjustments, and they feel great!

If I can find a dam music store near me where I can try the offsets out, I'd definitely consider it!
I've never owned a double kick kit, and those offsets seem like it would give you the same deal, but more comfortable
I was finally able to have a drum room after many years. As an adult this is the first home I've had that had the extra room. We just bought our house 5 months ago. Try what you have and maybe it works. Of you ever get around to trying an offset then you can see if that works. Since you never had double bass drums you probably will be ok with what you got. But for posture and your condition, the center position might help as you said.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was finally able to have a drum room after many years. As an adult this is the first home I've had that had the extra room. We just bought our house 5 months ago. Try what you have and maybe it works. Of you ever get around to trying an offset then you can see if that works. Since you never had double bass drums you probably will be ok with what you got. But for posture and your condition, the center position might help as you said.
Agree. If I didn't have to learn, it may really help.
At this point it's worth a shot. I think I'll seek em out. If they don't help, I can always return them

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agree. If I didn't have to learn, it may really help.
At this point it's worth a shot. I think I'll seek em out. If they don't help, I can always return them
I got lucky because they had the discontinued model available and those were blue like my drums. It was the last one that the manufacturer had in stock. And they were $289. Now they only have the latest version which is like $400. But after trying it, I'd pay $600 if I have to. It's not just that it works for me, it's the quality of the product. I'm sure they will last long. Hope you find one!

Latest posts