Double Glaze sticks for winter playing

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Winter weather always dries my hands out enough to effect my daily practice routine and since I can't easily get the Regal Tip Glazed sticks around here I've been very appreciative of Vic Firth's Double Glaze 5A model which I order online now.

In winters before this I used batter's rosin on my hands but that doesn't last long and it makes a powdery mess, same with Mr. Zoggs Sex Wax, it works but doesn't last long unless you re-apply it to the sticks before every session.

With the Firth Double Glaze sticks I can play for hours anytime during the winter months with no slippage using my normal grip. They've been a blessing and I'm SO glad I tried them in 2019 because they really stick well to my hands.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used ordinary paraffin wax in the past. I already have it around for bearing edges when I change heads.
Hands feel great afterwards with no powdery mess and lasts pretty long on the sticks.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
My drum room gets fairly cold in the winter months (like today) so I'm happy about grabbing a pair of cold sticks and just begin playing immediately without prepping my hands with wax, lotion or rosin beforehand.

I bought these VF Double Glaze models in 2019 as a 4 pr. sample pack for around $18 and I've been able to conduct more winter shedding than in all previous winters here. Since gigs have died it's nice to still have some drum time at home and keep a grip on my sticks!

boomstick

Reaction score
For most of my drumming life, I made the mistake of searching for THE ONE stick that I would always use. Now I know as conditions change, it's good to have a range of grip options. So I have sticks in standard finish which I treat with surf wax when necessary, and I also have a supply of VF Doubleglaze. I was a big Regal Tip fan before, but alas...

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be going to VF double glaze when my supply of Regal Tip runs out . I had Jeff Rich make me some sticks as well that has a lacquer finish that gets a sucky but not the same as Regal Tip or VF.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For most of my drumming life, I made the mistake of searching for THE ONE stick that I would always use. Now I know as conditions change, it's good to have a range of grip options. So I have sticks in standard finish which I treat with surf wax when necessary, and I also have a supply of VF Doubleglaze. I was a big Regal Tip fan before, but alas...

I'm looking at the tips of my remaining RTs and wishing I had the foresight to order bricks of them.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I read the thread title and thought "Sticks for playing in the snow with"?

:p

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I played regal Tip for years because of the lacquer finish. I even had Rich Sticks make me some with a glaze on them. I am now using the Vic Firth double glaze and I love them. I can't play a stick that isn't like that as my hands are almost always dry. My hands cramp up on sticks that are unfinished because I can't hold on to them.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Winter weather always dries my hands out enough to effect my daily practice routine and since I can't easily get the Regal Tip Glazed sticks around here I've been very appreciative of Vic Firth's Double Glaze 5A model which I order online now.

In winters before this I used batter's rosin on my hands but that doesn't last long and it makes a powdery mess, same with Mr. Zoggs Sex Wax, it works but doesn't last long unless you re-apply it to the sticks before every session.

With the Firth Double Glaze sticks I can play for hours anytime during the winter months with no slippage using my normal grip. They've been a blessing and I'm SO glad I tried them in 2019 because they really stick well to my hands.
An alternative for sticks that don’t come with the Doubleglaze finish is to spray them with Zinsser shellac.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, the Zildjian Dennis Chambers stick and the Vic Firth Keith Carlock stick both have the double glaze finish as well.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try hand lotion. A co-worker made me some and it's the best I've ever used. Tacky but not greasy, olive oil, lanolin and essential oils. Vaseline for Men Extra Strength is good too. I sand all the varnish off my Vaters and treat my hands as well as coat liberally Mr Zogg's and Tyler's Butt Wax. I've lost a little sensitivity in my right hand and all of this helps tremendously.

https://www.tylersbuttwax.com

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Steven. I've been a Regal user for ages with the exception of Vic's Keith Carlock model. Now that @varatrodder pointed out they're double glazed I realize why I like em so much.

Wolfman

Reaction score
An alternative for sticks that don’t come with the Doubleglaze finish is to spray them with Zinsser shellac.

Do you just do one coat? Is it easy to spray it on evenly?

I've brushed shellac on sticks, never tried spraying it.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought some Vic Firth double glaze 7A as a substitute for Regal Tip’s. I like them very much. The finish is great and I also like these weight.

Wolfman

Reaction score
That's funny, I literally just ordered a pair of the Vic Firth 7A double glaze sticks! Gotta find alternatives to my beloved Regal Tips!

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do you just do one coat? Is it easy to spray it on evenly?

I've brushed shellac on sticks, never tried spraying it.
Spraying is much easier if you know how to do it. One coat is enough. Hold the tip of the stick and spray in short bursts along the length of the stick from about a foot away. This prevents running. Dry the sticks by resting them on the edges of a thin plastic cup. Best to do the spraying outside with the wind at your back.

PS: If you have a deep enough can of shellac and you want a thicker coat, you could dip the stick in the shellac and hang it from the tip and let the excess drip off. Would probably take much longer to dry.

Last edited: