double pedal

gtasa023

Reaction score
Hello, i have a problem with my double pedal.
when im trying to play consistent from 160 bpn and higher, my pedal starts to feel very unresponsive and clumsy,
i am currently using the Pearl P932 Demonator double pedals.

REF

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the model so, looking at a picture of the unit my first thought is - single chain. Single chain pedals can, indeed, feel sloppy. They tend to have a side to side wobble. If you "dance" on the pedal when playing faster sequences of notes, any chain pedal can begin to feel sloppy and unresponsive but, a single chain will definitely go that direction.

Maybe the pedal board will also accommodate a double chain and you can purchase a couple w/their cams and change them out. Otherwise, it's new pedal time.

gtasa023

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the model so, looking at a picture of the unit my first thought is - single chain. Single chain pedals can, indeed, feel sloppy. They tend to have a side to side wobble. If you "dance" on the pedal when playing faster sequences of notes, any chain pedal can begin to feel sloppy and unresponsive but, a single chain will definitely go that direction.

Maybe the pedal board will also accommodate a double chain and you can purchase a couple w/their cams and change them out. Otherwise, it's new pedal time.
thanks for the reply, do you have some suggestions for good double chain\direct drives?

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I say save your money and buy the top end. Tama DynaSync, DW9000, Pearl Demon Drive, etc. Every big maker has their flagship pedals that you will find completely serviceable, and with plenty of video evidence that it's not the pedal, it's you (there's a lot to be said about that). This is an important piece of hardware for you. People like to say gear doesn't matter. A lot of times that is true. In your case, it sounds like it's not. Buy once, cry once.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Are you are new to double pedal?

Have you tried playing faster than 160bpm on another double pedal?

Go to a drum shop, try something high end, to see if it is your pedal or you?

gtasa023

Reaction score
I say save your money and buy the top end. Tama DynaSync, DW9000, Pearl Demon Drive, etc. Every big maker has their flagship pedals that you will find completely serviceable, and with plenty of video evidence that it's not the pedal, it's you (there's a lot to be said about that). This is an important piece of hardware for you. People like to say gear doesn't matter. A lot of times that is true. In your case, it sounds like it's not. Buy once, cry once.
dude i searched so much about this pedal and i couldn't find any metal/rock drummers using it, only jazz drummers,
besides, i cant go to any store in this situation right now... i would have to wait a couple of months until one of the stores in my country to open back up. it really sucks right now

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
Double bass pedals are a personal thing .... you can't know if it's the one until you try it out. Unfortunately it took me many tries and lots of $$$ to finally find the one that works best for me. I started with a 80's Yamaha set, then upgraded to the Yamaha flying dragons. Then I tried the Pearl Eliminators followed by the Trick Pro 1Vs. Finally I bought the DW 5002 Turbos and finally I've found my double pedal bliss.

Best of luck finding the pedals that work best for you.

gtasa023

Reaction score
Double bass pedals are a personal thing .... you can't know if it's the one until you try it out. Unfortunately it took me many tries and lots of $$$ to finally find the one that works best for me. I started with a 80's Yamaha set, then upgraded to the Yamaha flying dragons. Then I tried the Pearl Eliminators followed by the Trick Pro 1Vs. Finally I bought the DW 5002 Turbos and finally I've found my double pedal bliss.

Best of luck finding the pedals that work best for you.
it really depends on your style of playing... i play mostly metal so i think im gonna go with direct drive pedals

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll throw in a vote for the Trick Pro1-V Longboard. If you're careful you can find a used one for half the price of a new one. I've paid under $400 shipped for decent used ones. And at one point I bought a brand new one for $700, it was a new store demo. Worth the money...

Stretch

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Trick longboards are over ten years old and they are still silky smooth. I've recently swapped out the direct drive with chains and they add a whole new swing/acceleration to it.
IMAG1493.jpg

Sambo84

Reaction score
I have the same pedal and I do like it for practice. I have been using it just to practice speed exercises and I also have trouble getting much past the 160bpm range. I have an older Pearl Eliminator double pedal which is a little higher end with a strap drive but I'm not too much faster with it, so in my case I think it is at least somewhat that my skill level isn't there yet. I do hear a lot of guys say that right around that tempo is where some variations in technique are necessary such as the swivel motion to stay fast and consistent. But it is a single chain pedal so it's going to be somewhat limited, and I think for playing consistently at higher speeds a higher end direct drive pedal is pretty much necessary. The Offset double pedal has also been of interest to me but I haven't played on one--might be worth considering if you are looking into new pedals.

gtasa023

Reaction score
I'll throw in a vote for the Trick Pro1-V Longboard. If you're careful you can find a used one for half the price of a new one. I've paid under $400 shipped for decent used ones. And at one point I bought a brand new one for $700, it was a new store demo. Worth the money...

Stretch
the problem is that in my country unfortunately most of the drum companies that are in the us
doesn't ship here and it is very hard to find used ones or even new ones...

gtasa023

Reaction score
They are excellent pedals. I still have mine. It's the Pro 1V2 ShortBoards. They are in very good condition. Planning to sell them for $600 plus actual shipping if you are interested. I'll take some pics if you are.
i am interested in long boards... tried short boards and it doesn't fit my technique very much... but thanks for the offer!

gtasa023

Reaction score
I have the same pedal and I do like it for practice. I have been using it just to practice speed exercises and I also have trouble getting much past the 160bpm range. I have an older Pearl Eliminator double pedal which is a little higher end with a strap drive but I'm not too much faster with it, so in my case I think it is at least somewhat that my skill level isn't there yet. I do hear a lot of guys say that right around that tempo is where some variations in technique are necessary such as the swivel motion to stay fast and consistent. But it is a single chain pedal so it's going to be somewhat limited, and I think for playing consistently at higher speeds a higher end direct drive pedal is pretty much necessary. The Offset double pedal has also been of interest to me but I haven't played on one--might be worth considering if you are looking into new pedals.
i play ankle technique... now im learning ankle swivel motion and because of my pedal being single chain it feels very clumsy..

gtasa023

Reaction score
i would suggest you to wait a couple of years with the offset pedals... it is new to the market
it seems right now that known pedal makers dont make these so...
better going with 2 bass drums