Double pedals...Belt drive v.s. double chain drive

Radia999

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new set of double pedals...I've had my DW 9000 pedals for 20 yrs..Using them without much of a problem all this time, I gotta say....But they are double chain drive....Now, I want to Opt for more feel and articulation, with this new set of pedals...I'm hearing that Belt drive pedals, are the way to go for that...

I'd just like to get some opinions on what are some good belt drive double pedal models out there. That are durable...And If the belt drives wear out much quicker than the double chain drives, and If they are faster than the DC drives....

Thanks

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think most, if not all of the pedals today, can convert to a strap or belt drive with as little as replacing the chain or doing a little assembling.

I prefer strap drives, myself. I love the feel of leather with its flex, but of course it's not for much heavy playing since it will stretch. Gibraltar does a stiffer but absolutely bulletproof—literally, heh—Kevlar strap.

I've converted a couple of chain pedals to strap in the past, and I'm currently doing another one.

Blisco

Reaction score
Tomorrow I should receive a Pearl Redline single strap to try. Like, you, I've been a DW5000 guy for 20 years but I'm looking for something more/different. Back when I was learning foot technique, I played a strap drive Slingerland Tempo King and really good quick with it. I'm hoping to go back to that feel and response. Based on all my research, the Redline is thee strap pedal to get. It's probably too complicated with all the adjustments but it should easily replicate the feel of a Tempo King.

If this little experiment goes as hoped, I'll probably fork out for the double.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the Redline strap double pedal.
I also have DW 5000, Iron Cobra, Ludwig Atlas Pro.

Pearl redline is my favorite.

cplueard

Reaction score
DW9000 has a pretty cheap strap conversion. Mine actually came with straps in box and I swapped it out almost immediately, they're fantastic.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought the strap conversion for the DW5000 and that strap is very cheaply made.
I don't expect it to last long before stretching or tearing.
Maybe the 9000 is different.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought the strap conversion for the DW5000 and that strap is very cheaply made.
I don't expect it to last long before stretching or tearing.
Maybe the 9000 is different.
You can replace it with a Gibraltar Kevlar for like six bucks. It'll feel different, though...those nylon straps are actually stupidly strong, and there's a "feel" thing with them

flurbs

Reaction score
Now, I want to Opt for more feel and articulation, with this new set of pedals...I'm hearing that Belt drive pedals, are the way to go for that...
Strap/Belt vs Chain drive as a material is a very subtle difference. It's much more to do with the cam shape that the belt or chain pulls over. Belt drives have historically used very off-set cams, it's that which predominatly gives the light, responsive 'floating' feel that they're known for. Chain drives have historically used centred (or at least more centered) cams which have a more direct response and solid feel.

I'd just like to get some opinions on what are some good belt drive double pedal models out there.
I'd highly recommend getting a Pearl 2000 Eliminator belt drive - if buying used, make sure it comes with all four cams. Trying out these different shaped cams is the easiest way to experience what I've mentioned above.

I'd just like to get some opinions on what are some good belt drive double pedal models out there. That are durable...And If the belt drives wear out much quicker than the double chain drives...
The products from all the reputable manufacturers are solid. It is possible to buy reinforced replacements but I think that's mostly for peace-of-mind rather than "oh crap my strap's split...". The DW would seem the be the weakest and the most common one I've heard about folk replacing - but I owned a DW strap pedal for about 2 years and when I sold it the strap was as good as the day it was bought new. The Pearl and Tama ones are hardcore - if you're breaking those, then just move back to chain...

and If they are faster than the DC drives....
Speed comes from the mechanics of the pedal - cam shape, cam offset, beater weight, beater height, beater offset, footboard length, footboard geometry, spring resistance, spring rocker offset, etc, etc... Pretty much everything about the pedal EXCEPT the strap material!

Good luck!

Last edited:

mpungercar

Reaction score
Speed comes from the mechanics of the pedal - cam shape, cam offset, beater weight, beater height, beater offset, footboard length, footboard geometry, spring resistance, spring rocker offset, etc, etc... Pretty much everything about the pedal EXCEPT the strap material!
Good luck!
100% agreed. I actually swapped out the chains on my DW9002 and didn't notice any difference, so I put the chains back on because they're far more durable.

Radia999

Reaction score
Thanks alot on that stuff...I never knew strap conversions were possible...I'd def want to go with the Gibraltar kevlar...I'll try and find some videos on it...Unless someone has a link to post..
Also, I never played a set of long boards...And I know quite a few drummers, that say longboards significantly increase feel and speed . If so, are most DW pedals convertible to longboards ?

Blisco

Reaction score
Got my new (used) Redline strap single and tried it for a minute. Tried the blue cam and switched to the red. First impressions: WOW! it is really smooth and feels great. A nice combo of power and speed. Doubles are effortless. Took me back to my teenage years with the Tempo King.

I think I'm going to be bold and take it to the gig on Saturday and see how it works under performance conditions. That's the only way to know for sure. I'll bring the 5000 for back-up should anything go wrong (not the pedal-me!)