Down Beat Readers’ Best Drummers 1969

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Ed Shaughnessy should have made that list, but I'm sure he wasn't as well known.
Ed didn’t get around as much as most all of the other big band guys did. He had that long steady gig with J Carson, and for some reason, I don’t think that those tv jobs, as lucrative and steady as they were, were as well respected in the jazz world as touring and gigging were. I think he missed out on a lot of exposure due to that. I could be wrong, but it just seems that way from things I’ve read.

No doubt Ed was a great one and an all around nice guy.

BlueFlame

Reaction score
I’m thrilled that Joe Chambers just made it onto the list at 20. He’s one of my biggest influences and is a marvelous drummer who played on a ton of amazing records, but is supportive and understated enough to have not brought much attention to himself. Beautiful feel and sound, kind of like a Jim Gordon of 60s post/free-bop.
“Et Cetera” w Wayne. Phew!

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of greats did not take polls seriously themselves. I was given Philly Jo Jones 1969 Playboy Jazz poll medal by a Playboy employee in the mid seventies.
He said Philly Joe never claimed it because he didnt respect polls. I donated it to Paissic.

Reactions: JDA

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any poll like this, flaws and all, will almost always be better than any Top 100 list Rolling Stone pumps out.
The deeper things go into polls, lists, repertory ensembles (Club Wynton) and jazz competitions with prizes, the further we get from the community and the closer we get to wine tasting.