Downsizing for a while

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
With no gigs in sight for the rest of the year (booked for October, bet it's canceled), and having a new kit I've only gotten to play out twice since December now, I think nows a good time to tear down the Beauford replica and focus on my original kit for a while.

We've been back at our church with masks/social distancing for a few weeks now, so I'm at least getting to play on Sundays. We're starting some new music and the big kit just does not fit this music as well. Smaller crashes, pingy rides, and china's aren't really in today's worship music.

I always tend to get nervous doing this, thinking when I put it up again, or when the next Dave Matthews Tribute Band gig comes up, I'll have lost my touch on this kit, but as long as I've had it now, I in know it front to back.

It'll be a nice change of pace to think more and play completely differently on my own kit with less stuff, and much bigger cymbals.

Whenever I do use a smaller kit if my replica is torn down, it's funny how much louder the smaller kit seems to be in our church. It's like it takes a few weeks for it to seem normal.

Anyone else ever completely change setups for a while?

20200205_133913.jpg

20200613_162458.jpg

20200427_155617~01.jpg

20200125_164953.jpg

Attachments

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Between the Covid closedown, retirement and moving next year, cleaning things out. One do-it-all, easily stored, versatile set. Keeping my 10/13/20 vintage orphan Gretsch/Ludwigs. Favorite cymbals. Everything else going. Sold a bunch last week. One set, three snares left to go!
31C1033D-9FA8-49C9-B69C-C7F45C9BDEA6.jpeg

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
With no gigs in sight for the rest of the year (booked for October, bet it's canceled), and having a new kit I've only gotten to play out twice since December now, I think nows a good time to tear down the Beauford replica and focus on my original kit for a while.

We've been back at our church with masks/social distancing for a few weeks now, so I'm at least getting to play on Sundays. We're starting some new music and the big kit just does not fit this music as well. Smaller crashes, pingy rides, and china's aren't really in today's worship music.

I always tend to get nervous doing this, thinking when I put it up again, or when the next Dave Matthews Tribute Band gig comes up, I'll have lost my touch on this kit, but as long as I've had it now, I in know it front to back.

It'll be a nice change of pace to think more and play completely differently on my own kit with less stuff, and much bigger cymbals.

Whenever I do use a smaller kit if my replica is torn down, it's funny how much louder the smaller kit seems to be in our church. It's like it takes a few weeks for it to seem normal.

Anyone else ever completely change setups for a while?

View attachment 453697

View attachment 453693

View attachment 453694

View attachment 453695
- Mine varies with the type of gig.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have played a basic 4 piece, occasionally 5 (one up, two down) for most gigs for years and years. But in my practice spaces and especially at home now, I’ve been experimenting with different and bigger setups. Why not if you can? Playing different drums brings out different things in my playing and it’s fun .

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been talking about it for a while now and getting really close to re setting up my old 8 piece kit for my practice kit. And only using parts of it (4 piece) for tiny space gigs, if we ever get back to normal. Then use the new 5 piece kit for the bigger gigs.

I remember the days when I thought I just had to have a monster kit for every job no matter where I played, boy was I disillusioned. It was hard for me to cut back but the older I got the setup got harder and harder. So cutting back became a necessity but you know I'm realizing how much fun it is to play just a 2 piece setup and some times 1 piece is a blast for a quickie open mic night.

sherm

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brother, your “smaller” lovely Pearl kit still has two cymbals and one floor tom more than my gigging rig, and three cymbals and three toms more than my rehearsal rig.

So, I guess—ore Covid—I was going back and forth between small and minimal. I enjoy the variation.