Dream BOP kit....

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What's your dream BOP kit, 18" bass, new production, genre = jazz, lite rock.....budget be damned....

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Already own my "dream" kits
1960s Gretsch Round Badge
1960s Slingerland (16x13 bd)
Coliseum Snare
Gretsch RB 4160
Gretsch RB 14x5.5

If I $ and could find it
Original series Yamaha Maple Custom in Green Lacquer

Attachments

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Tama Star Maple kit 18”12”14” with inlays inside and outside. Couldn’t be happier. Pretty aming drums.

View attachment 430904

View attachment 430905

Yeah what is it about these internal inlays? It does not matter! But I think about it all the time. Steve Maxwell had a bare shell in his shop long before any kits came in and I couldn't keep my eyes off it.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember a black nitron(?) Gretsch RB 18 kit at a vintage drum shop, around 2000. Had just sold, otherwise, who knows... The other dream would be a Phonic Rosewood, as a stationary kit.
That said, I'm pretty happy with my Gretsch New Classic. I need to practice more, that's what's lacking when I play them :)

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These would probably do:

Or maybe a Leedy kit in that blonde wood finish. Don't remember what they called it. Natural maple? Probably never even made something like that.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah what is it about these internal inlays? It does not matter! But I think about it all the time. Steve Maxwell had a bare shell in his shop long before any kits came in and I couldn't keep my eyes off it.
They don’t matter at all :) They just look so darn cool I couldn’t resist.

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Freaking Beautiful.

Gretschy sound?
If you are referring to the Star kit; yes and no. They do have the old school vibe, warm and knocky (is that a word?) but they are extremely dynamic and able to project great power. I found that surprising.

prplx

Reaction score
I remember a black nitron(?) Gretsch RB 18 kit at a vintage drum shop, around 2000. Had just sold, otherwise, who knows... The other dream would be a Phonic Rosewood, as a stationary kit.
That said, I'm pretty happy with my Gretsch New Classic. I need to practice more, that's what's lacking when I play them :)
I had a new classic in bop size in WMP with a matching snare. That's a kit I should have kept.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m a huge sucker for bop sizes, but probably something Canopus. Really curious about the Neo-Vintage kits. Bitter brown oil finish.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gretsch USA custom, burgundy (or whatever they call it) sparkle. Vintage build out, but modern spurs.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gretsch USA custom, burgundy (or whatever they call it) sparkle. Vintage build out, but modern spurs.
Me too. But the "Art Blakey" red sparkle in 12/14/20.

I am really happy with the Renown Cherry Burst Maple bop kit I have now. I think more about cymbals and snares than I do kits.

IMG_1335.jpg

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think I own them already
Yamaha 8000 tour 18/12/14 in black lacquer. They cost me 599 including an RC snare drum 7x14 also black lacquer ... If money were no object maybe a Craviotto but since it usually is... I'm quite happy.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I swing back and forth on 18" kicks all the time.... right now I own a Joe Montineri in in bop sizes (12, 14, 1 8") but I suppose my dream kit in those sizes may be the newer Sonor Vintage sereis. And the end of the day, I think I actually prefer 12, 14, 20" though I guess that would not make them bop sizes though would it?

Last edited: