Dream BOP kit....

Reaction score
I already got 'em. Although those Blue Brady's a couple of posts back look KILLER.

Mine. Gretsch 18, 12, 14. Sometimes I add a 10, or switch the 14 for a 15.
IMG_0662.JPG

And my beater bop kit. Wood hooped Yamaha Tour Custom in Black 10, 12, 14, 18.
IMG_0802.JPG

But if I ran into a GREAT deal for a Yamaha Maple Custom bop sizes in green with the Gold hardware, or a set of natural Sonor's in bop sizes it would be very tempting. But I'm set with my Gretsch's.

MSG

Attachments

Daniel

Reaction score
Gretsch from the 80's/90's, Burnt Orange or Red Rosewood. Actually it's hard to find a kit with a 18x14 Bassdrum, most of them are 18x16.

Gretsch New Broadkasters are nice, too!

ATB
Daniel

SlingyFan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beyond happy with my early 70s Slingerlands, and I also have a '63 "Jet" in champagne that I still need to clean up a bit. If I were looking for a modern bop kit, I would love an Ayotte wood hoop kit.

Attachments

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drums I have now will suite me for the rest of my life. I’m not really lusting for anything else except for an occasional notice of something that really LOOKs nice in a high-quality product. However, I am looking for a nice ride cymbal, I can’t tell you what that will be because I’ll have to hear it first. Probably a Zildjian product. And maybe a new snare drum at some point, just for grins.

Late 80’s Ludwig Classic; Cherry Stain: 9 pieces with Add On
9x8”, 1994 Rack Tom (RT)
9x10”, 1994 RT
10x12, 1997 (+ or -) CM’s, RT
Original Kit below: purchased 1994
12x13, RT
13x14, RT
16x16, RT / converted to Floor Tom (FT)
16x18, RT / converted to FT converted to Bass
16x22, Bass
6.5x14, Supra Snare, assuming also Late 80’s

New 2018, Ludwig Classic Maple; Exotic Quilted Makore veneer over Poly-Glass lacquer finish; 4 pieces
8x10 RT
9x12 RT
16x16 FT
14x20 Bass

So, I think I have everything covered for the jobs I play. The new 2018 kit is my go-to kit with the Supra listed above. The late 80’s kit for the most part will be my practice kit and the new kit gets most of my gigs. The 80’s is parted out for smaller gigs. Example: Last Tuesday, I played on a tiny stage; I used the 16x18 bass with 9x10 RT and 13x14 RT in floor tom position.
1584380078333.png

Maybe I should start wearing my Cowboy hat! LOL

sherm

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I love cheesy tacky looking satin flame finishes on Gretsch drums. It would be oh so cool to own a 60's Gretsch 18,12,14 with matching snare in any one of the satin flames. I really like the salmon stain flame or the moonglow. The olive and gold are nice too. I would also love to have it with 13" hats,18" ride and 20" ride all vintage K Zildjian. Why not go for broke if we are dreaming? Something like thus would be nice although I never cared for the look of the muffler knobs facing the audience.

73989339.jpg
84882512.jpg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
What's your dream BOP kit, 18" bass, new production, genre = jazz, lite rock.....budget be damned....
Lately I've been thinking about building my own kit.
Make the shells myself, the whole shebang.
3 plies, reinforced, big round over edges, with a 12" deep bass drum. Deep snare this time. Probably 6.5". If its one thing I've learned its that depth isn't really that big of a component in regards to sensitivity.
I've owned a 10" deep snare and a 3" deep snare. Both were equally sensitive.
...on the other hand...
I've lusted a 4 ply reinforced Pearl shell since the 90's.
The Maple drums are legendary and the Mahogany shells sound like you're wallowing in thick, melted butter. They're also darker than the night.
I would love a Mahogany bass drum with Maple toms from the Masterworks series, and a Bronze Sensitone snare drum.
Wrap finish, though....in case I change my mind later on ( ;) ). Right now, liking Sam Barnard's Black & Silver and Champagne sparkle finishes. Also Walopus Merlot Strata.

Elvis

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lately I've been thinking about building my own kit.
Make the shells myself, the whole shebang.
3 plies, reinforced, big round over edges, with a 12" deep bass drum. Deep snare this time. Probably 6.5". If its one thing I've learned its that depth isn't really that big of a component in regards to sensitivity.
I've owned a 10" deep snare and a 3" deep snare. Both were equally sensitive.
...on the other hand...
I've lusted a 4 ply reinforced Pearl shell since the 90's.
The Maple drums are legendary and the Mahogany shells are thick, fat and darker than the night.
I would love a Mahogany bass drum with Maple toms from the Masterworks series, and a Bronze Sensitone snare drum.
Wrap finish, though....in case I change my mind later on ( ;) ). Right now, liking Sam Barnard's Black & Silver and Champagne sparkle finishes. Also Walopus Merlot Strata.
That would be heaven as well.

Elvis
You want to make your own ply shells?

Jazzhead

Reaction score
My Tama Star Maple kit 18”12”14” with inlays inside and outside. Couldn’t be happier. Pretty amazing drums.

View attachment 430904

View attachment 430905
I have never been a TAMA guy, I am into jazz and I have always associated Tama with heavy music since most of the heavy metal drummers use Tama but Erskine plays Tama now and this thing right here is super beautiful wow!

Jazzhead

Reaction score
I literally love so many bop kits that I can’t put my finger on one.
Vintage Ludwig Jazzette
Vintage Gretsch RB bop kit or 80’s jasper shells square badge bop kit
Vintage Premier bop kit
Yamaha maple custom bop kits
My own Modern Drum Shop NYC bop kit or nesting kit in bop sizes.
And after seeing that yellow Tama, I love that one too.

but, if I were to pick one right now and be happy with the sound, price, and look it would be 18/14/12 Yamaha Club Custom in Orange swirl...

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score