Dream kit as a kid

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was the kit you dreamed about as a kid ? Now that we have more disposable income did you ever get it ?

For me there were two kits I Jonesed for .
1) Slingerland 80n Buddy Rich signature kit in WMP
2) Rogers XP8 Londoner Seven in tobacco burst lacquer finish

I did manage to get the Slingerland albeit in ribbon mahogany and it was cool to own but very fragile hardware that was unreliable so I sadly let it go .

I have a friend that owns a Londoner 5 Rogers kit in Tobacco Burst I’m dead mint condition but he won’t sell it and just has it in storage instead gathering dust . A shame - that kit needs to be played .

So what is your dream kit ?

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
Yamaha Recording Custom-yes I do own it. The other was a Tama Imperialstar in Royal Pewter from the 82 catalog. Never owned one but a friend did. I was glad I didn't get one.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to receive a special one from my parents as my first kit. 1976 Ludwig Pro Beat in WMP. Never really saw much in the way of advertising after that. Did think my High School's Tivoli (Vistalite Tequila Sunrise) kit was cool though. Saw a kit on stage in 1982 and was floored. Drooled after one since. I got one about 2 months ago:

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: JDZ

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had three at different stages of my kid-dom.
1- A gold sparkle Gretsch kit because of The Monkees.
2- A Ludwig kit in Smoke Vistalite.
3- A Slingerland kit in Blakrome.

Will I get one of these? I doubt it, but you never know what might reveal itself.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looking through the Ludwig catalog in Jr. High I lusted after the Octa Plus but knew it was more than I'd really want. I more realistically craved the Pro Beat. Never have had an actual factory Pro Beat outfit although I could set up a kit in the right sizes.

I had the chance to buy part of a Pro Beat a few years back from the local Music Go Round, the 24" bass, 14" mounted tom and the 18" floor tom, all for $150. It was there for a long time and I considered it on every visit but for whatever reason I let it pass me by. Around that same time there was a clear Vistalite Octa Plus set in decent shape at the local Guitar Center for $650 and again I let it fall into someone else's hands. Not a huge regret on the Octa as I'm not sure what I would have done with it but I do now regret letting the partial Pro Beat get away.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with hounddog's post. I was happy with just having one to play. And now I've had the same kit for 20 years. Just a pulse percussion kit that's still going strong and sounding good for me.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a kit in a window of a drum store and ended up owning it seventeen years later. Here is the whole story...

When I was a sixteen year old kid a good friend of mine and I stopped by "DRUMS" in Crafton, Pennsylvania for sticks or heads. There was a beautiful new Slingerland in the window, I never forgot it. They had to have been custom ordered. It was a "Blakrome" Slingerland kit, 12", 13", 16", 22" virgin bass, and a COB snare drum. The 12" and 13" were mounted on a stand, this was unusual at the time. It left an impression. I don't remember what it cost, it didn't matter. It was well out of range for me.

I continued playing my beat up "Del Ray' Japanese "stencil" kit. I bought better hardware and cymbals, eventually I bought a great clean set of 1965 Slingerlands. I moved to Florida, gigged a good bit. A lot of years went by. I sold the 65 Slingerland kit, went through a divorce, and didn't have a really nice kit for a long time. I had serviceable, decent kits to gig with, but nothing that really tripped my trigger. In 1991 I was stuck by a truck while riding my motorcycle home from work. I was busted up pretty bad. My left forearm had several fractures, my left leg was pretty well crushed, required thirteen surgeries.

I moved back to Pittsburgh, I was on a walker, going to physical therapy for eighteen months. My hospital and physical therapy bills totaled $643,000, I was the point six million dollar man. My insurance covered my, care, but I had sold everything that I owned in order to live. In late summer of 1992 I was ready to start playing again. DRUMS in Crafton was long gone. I went into another drum shop and looked at used gear. Back in the corner they had several used shell packs, one was a Slingerland "Blakrome" kit, 12", 13", 16", with a 22" virgin bass. Inside of each was a chrome "DRUMS" sticker. It was THE kit that I drooled over as a teenager. It had a couple of scuffs and scars, but overall it was in decent condition. I bought it of course, along with some cheap hardware and a Gretsch COB 4160 snare drum. I picked up a set of Humes and Berg cases and gigged the hell out of it until 2008. Along the way I came cross an 18" floor tom to match and added it to the kit.

In 2008 I bought my DWs, which became my gig kit. The Slingerlands became my practice kit. Then I started buying a lot of kits. The Blakrome Slingerlands were packed into their cases and only got played occasionally for the next twelve years. This past year I downsized a bunch. I was down to five kits, and actually put these on consignment at local shop. They were there for a couple of months and didn't sell.

Recently I joined a new band. I took this kit over and set it up where we rehearse. I played it on Friday night for the first time in a long time, it was like hanging with an old friend. I'm so glad that it didn't sell.

Here is a photo of them in 1997.

1597036118540.png

Here they are in 2008.

1597036331521.png

At an outdoor gig in 2018...

1597036462207.png

At a gig in 2019...

1597036545904.png

And finally, here is a couple of photos of them taken last Friday, they are now my rehearsal kit.

1597036676890.png

And from another angle...

1597036740674.png

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Before 1967 my "dream kit" was a 1-up/2-down Slingerland like Krupa's, or a 1-up/2-down Rogers like Buddy's. Never owned either.

In 1967 I first heard Ginger Baker on "Fresh Cream" and "Disraeli Gears" and marveled at the patterns he played on his 2-up/2-down/2-bass drum kit. By 1971 I had expanded my original E.W. Kent kit to that configuration, and that is the configuration I have used ever since.*

I can't recall any drum catalog of any brand ever featuring the exact configurations of any of the three 2-up/2-down/2-bass drum kits that I have owned over the past 36 years:

• 2 x 14x22• 2 x 16x26• 2 x 14x22
• 8x12• 9x13• 8x12
• 9x13• 10x14• 9x13
• 14x14• 16x16• 16x16
• 14x16• 16x18• 16x18

*Except for the 11-drum Vistalite kit that I toured with from '73 – '77, which was kind of a Carl Palmer-inspired fluke.

Snooter

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
Irod 1707,
As a kid I drooled over this set you have shown in the ad. It was a cool red set on display at Maytan music store in Reno NV. I wanted this kit just because there were so many drums and Rush and Dio were my influences at that time. You brought back some memories

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Irod 1707,
As a kid I drooled over this set you have shown in the ad. It was a cool red set on display at Maytan music store in Reno NV. I wanted this kit just because there were so many drums and Rush and Dio were my influences at that time. You brought back some memories
Yep! Neil Peart was my #1 influence as well. I would see that kit and immediately associate them with his red Tama's. Your lucky that you got to see that kit in person. I just got to see it in the pictures inside Modern Drummer every month. The sheer number of pieces also mesmerized me. I could always picture them in my room with me playing them, LOL!

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
I always wanted and recently bought the rosewood 1 up, two down "Jazz Fusion Kit" ("680T", formerly known as the 80N) on the cover of the 1979 Slingerland catalog, pictures of which I have shared here many times. It was well worth the wait!

Curiously, the real kit was much lighter than the one shown on, and in, the catalog. I later learned that the latter was a preproduction kit which had been been given a darker stain, while the actual production kits were just the real veneer, and were only either oiled or lacquered.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
The copper Concorde kit on the 73 (I think) Slingerland catalog. I settled for a chrome Buddy Rich 80N a couple of years ago. I'm happy.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I,ve never been loyal to one brand, ever, but for 95% of my career, i seemed to play Rogers more than most, however my "dream kit" would have been the DC5 red sprkl kit for sure. Never did get it...Today, its vintage Sonor for now.

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was always Ringo's Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl set though I didn't know that he had 2 different size kits. Missed one at age 14 or so but yes, I bought it over 41 years later

Attachments

Last edited:

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I started drumming I loved Blue Vistalites, then it was Ludwigs in Black Cortex or Natural Maple. Then I got on a Tama kick and it was the Superstar Xtras in Cherry Wine.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This kit right here. Not really for the size, they just made it look so cool in the catalog. That finish is just gorgeous. Eventually, I got my head on straight and I’m satisfied with the options I own. Usually don’t go any bigger than a 6-piece - far cry from that Octaplus!

View attachment 455626
Yep. That’s the one. I’m still a Ludwig fan boy but I’d never want that kit now.