header.nohb.html

Dream snare has arrived! Pork Pie Solid Rosewood

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey guys! If any of you have followed my snare journey over the years, you'll know I absolutely love Rosewood snare drums. There's just something about their aggressive sound and beautiful look that make them my favorite.

I noticed a while back that Pork Pie had released a solid shell rosewood snare for their 20th anniversary. Only 20 were made, so good luck finding one. I lucked out and got a 40th Anniversary Tama Rosewood which I've loved and babied. The Ludwig Alex Van Halen Sig resale price has always been way too much for me.

So lately I've been searching for another one of these Pork Pies with no luck. I happened to get in touch with Bill from Pork Pie and asked if there was any way he could recreate this drum for me. He did some checking and came back with a yes, with 1 stipulation. I don't get the limited anniversary badge. SOLD!

I'm so glad I reached out and we were able to do this. Not sure how long it's gonna take to receive it as it has to be put together, but I'm so happy. This is a solid, steambent all Rosewood snare.

It took a pretty penny to get this one going, so I'll likely be selling my limited Tama rosewood to help fund it. I like having both, but I definitely won't miss the Tama having one of the snares I've wanted for years.

Juat had to brag on Bill and how great he is to work with. I'll be sure to post photos and videos once it arrives!

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congratulations! I've always found Bill easy to work with and fast to respond.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well come to find out the source we are using can't get enough rosewood to make a full 6.5" shell due to the cites ban.

We're gonna go with a small inlay of curly purple heart to make it a 6.5 depth. With the high gloss finish, this snare is gonna be ridiculously good I believe!

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Curious--how are they using an "inlay" to increase the height of a steam bent shell? Are they gluing two or three shell segments together?

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Lots of deeper steam-bent drums are two piece of wood, most often bookmatched at the seam. Craviotto, for example, brilliantly turned the seam from a detractor into a design feature by putting an inlay around the middle of their drums.

Good luck! Bill is an incredible builder.

I too have a rosewood steam-bent in the works. I can't say more yet, as its a special project with a particular builder who wants to make a big to-do themselves, but... it'll be spectacular, as yours will certainly be as well!

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Curious - what will be the difference between this Pork Pie and your Tama?

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Curious - what will be the difference between this Pork Pie and your Tama?

The pork pie is steambent construction, also with the purple heart inlay.

The rosewood is a regular 12 ply shell. Different construction, different sound. I've always wanted a steambent snare as I hear they're incredible. The Tama is definitely an amazing snare though. Rosewood is my favorite wood for snare drums.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
The shell has been made! In love with this thing already.

They originally told me they didn't have enough Rosewood to do a complete 6.5 depth shell, so we planned on using an inlay of purple heart. This looks to me, unless the band in the middle is for it, to be a solid piece? Either way, progress made. Can't wait to get this thing glossed and fitted with hardware!

FB_IMG_1572537415213.jpg

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How cool is that,Cask is doing the shell for yours. Micha is doing my steam bent quilted cherry right now as well. He posted your shell on Facebook and I immendently fell in love with it, I had no idea it was yours. ... so cool indeed! Looking forwars to seeing it finished!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
How cool is that,Cask is doing the shell for yours. Micha is doing my steam bent quilted cherry right now as well. He posted your shell on Facebook and I immendently fell in love with it, I had no idea it was yours. ... so cool indeed! Looking forwars to seeing it finished!

Awesome! Micha seems to be a great guy and an amazing drum builder. Bill will be taking it once it leaves for bearing edges and hardware!

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, he will nail it, Bill does great work. I was going to build out mine myself, but have decided to let Micha do it so it can wear the Cask badge. Keep us posted on this redwood beauty!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I didn't even realize Micah did the work until after I put the deposit down. Don't mind supporting either of these guys though!

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't THINK Bill does any shell construction, but his level of detail of course is dead on perfect. Cask does a lot of shells for other companies from what I have been able to find out, more so than he builds out himself apparently. And I agree, both are top notch. I'm excited about your rosewood. I just bought a 4 ply Rosewood George Way... I really like it so I can imagine what a single ply is going to sound like!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll be selling my Tama Rosewood reissue to help fund this one. It's my absolute favorite tone wood for snare drums!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
And if this orange band is where the inlay is gonna go, it's gonna be curly purple heart. I do wonder though. That looks like one solid shell that could be cut to a 6.5. Either way I'm ecstatic!

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks like two separate grain patterns to me, but as you say—it should be killer regardless!