header.nohb.html

Dream snare has arrived! Pork Pie Solid Rosewood

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Should that one on Ebay have a special limited badge? Is that the real deal?

I believe Bill put the regular badge on these. Mine will have just the new pig head logo. And yes, these are the real deal. They're probably unfortunately not as desirable as a Tama rosewood, but they're still incredible snares. I loved the Gretsch I had.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe Bill put the regular badge on these. Mine will have just the new pig head logo. And yes, these are the real deal. They're probably unfortunately not as desirable as a Tama rosewood, but they're still incredible snares. I loved the Gretsch I had.
Sound wise, my N&C steambent Rosewood sounds better than my 1983 original Tama Rosewood. The Tama was probably the best sounding plywood shell I’ve ever played, but the wood species really speaks in a steambent snare. Plywood tends to make the species of the shell less important.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sound wise, my N&C steambent Rosewood sounds better than my 1983 original Tama Rosewood. The Tama was probably the best sounding plywood shell I’ve ever played, but the wood species really speaks in a steambent snare. Plywood tends to make the species of the shell less important.

I paid a pretty penny for both rosewoods, the Tama and this Pork. I'm very interested to see the difference. I'll soon be unloading my Tama rosewood.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the ply shell in the Ebay link I agree, you would assume that a 1 of 10 would have some special designation. Parker is getting a steam bent single ply drum so since it is REALLY rare among rare I wonder if it has any special badging as well? Cask bent the shell and I dont think they add anything at all when doing custom shells for other builders.

I'm excited for you to receive this new drum... it's going to be so nice!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was looking at the ply shell in the Ebay link I agree, you would assume that a 1 of 10 would have some special designation. Parker is getting a steam bent single ply drum so since it is REALLY rare among rare I wonder if it has any special badging as well? Cask bent the shell and I dont think they add anything at all when doing custom shells for other builders.

I'm excited for you to receive this new drum... it's going to be so nice!

No rare or anything badge coming on mine, just the single pig head. The old pork pie rosewood snares that were steam bent had the limited edition badge.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
She's here! Gonna be this evening before I get to play it fully, but I'm absolutely floored at the look and attention to detail. Simply an incredible snare.

20200427_103756.jpg

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
A quick, not really tuned perfectly video. I'll get a better one soon.

I love cast hoops and 42 strand wires on snares, so I added those. May try the stock 20s just to see how they respond.

The shell is beautiful. Cask did an incredible job. Bill and how he cuts edges are amazing. Perfect drum all the way around. My Tama rosewood is now for sale. Both drums were very expensive, but I'm extremely happy with this thing.

Verses the Tama, this one seems to have maybe a little more body and sensitivity.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A quick, not really tuned perfectly video. I'll get a better one soon.

I love cast hoops and 42 strand wires on snares, so I added those. May try the stock 20s just to see how they respond.

The shell is beautiful. Cask did an incredible job. Bill and how he cuts edges are amazing. Perfect drum all the way around. My Tama rosewood is now for sale. Both drums were very expensive, but I'm extremely happy with this thing.

Verses the Tama, this one seems to have maybe a little more body and sensitivity.

You can really hear the body under the crack of that solid shell. It also has a good number of voicings available. I’d say solid work ;) on Cask and Pork Pie!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
So as usual......

I really need to sell something to help pay for this new Pork. I always tell the wife on expensive purchases like this that I'll sell something to help pay. Smaller stuff I just buy.

Current stable is:
14x5 Ludwig Acrolite - want to keep
14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty - keep
14x6.5 Pearl Sensitone Aluminum - could sell
14x6.5 Drumcraft Cast Bronze - keep
14x6.5 Ludwig classic maple exotic in Santos rosewood finish - Could sell maybe
14x6.5 Tama Rosewood
14X7 Pork Pie Cherry Bubinga

The Sensitone and Ludwig classic maple are the 2 I could maybe part with. I'm stuck on the Ludwig because it's your standard maple, sounds incredible, and has an incredible finish. Also very hard to find these snares.

The Tama I would love to keep, but would it be better having a ply maple and solid rosewood for variety? Or a ply rosewood and steambent together for my woods? The cherry Bubinga snare I love as well and use it for recording some of our ballad songs.

Obviously I'd love to keep every piece of gear I've owned but yeah. Decisions...

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well the Ludwig looks the nicest. Not a fan of the Pork Pie logo or lugs.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well the Ludwig looks the nicest. Not a fan of the Pork Pie logo or lugs.

Absolutely agree. Love the Steinway finish on the Ludwig. I actually love this Pork logo lol. I requested it over the regular square badge.

The Tama looks the plainest but is a legend

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
You will also get the most money for the Tama Rosewood!

Which is why I was going to sell it, but now I'm not so sure. Basically deciding on if I want a maple or rosewood ply snare lol.

If only I were rich lol

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Absolutely agree. Love the Steinway finish on the Ludwig. I actually love this Pork logo lol. I requested it over the regular square badge.

The Tama looks the plainest but is a legend
I have the 40th anniversary Superstar snare that matches my old Superstar kit.

IMG_4325.JPG