Dream snare on the way! Pork Pie Rosewood

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey guys! If any of you have followed my snare journey over the years, you'll know I absolutely love Rosewood snare drums. There's just something about their aggressive sound and beautiful look that make them my favorite.

I noticed a while back that Pork Pie had released a solid shell rosewood snare for their 20th anniversary. Only 20 were made, so good luck finding one. I lucked out and got a 40th Anniversary Tama Rosewood which I've loved and babied. The Ludwig Alex Van Halen Sig resale price has always been way too much for me.

So lately I've been searching for another one of these Pork Pies with no luck. I happened to get in touch with Bill from Pork Pie and asked if there was any way he could recreate this drum for me. He did some checking and came back with a yes, with 1 stipulation. I don't get the limited anniversary badge. SOLD!

I'm so glad I reached out and we were able to do this. Not sure how long it's gonna take to receive it as it has to be put together, but I'm so happy. This is a solid, steambent all Rosewood snare.

It took a pretty penny to get this one going, so I'll likely be selling my limited Tama rosewood to help fund it. I like having both, but I definitely won't miss the Tama having one of the snares I've wanted for years.

Juat had to brag on Bill and how great he is to work with. I'll be sure to post photos and videos once it arrives!

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! I've always found Bill easy to work with and fast to respond.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well come to find out the source we are using can't get enough rosewood to make a full 6.5" shell due to the cites ban.

We're gonna go with a small inlay of curly purple heart to make it a 6.5 depth. With the high gloss finish, this snare is gonna be ridiculously good I believe!

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Curious--how are they using an "inlay" to increase the height of a steam bent shell? Are they gluing two or three shell segments together?

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Lots of deeper steam-bent drums are two piece of wood, most often bookmatched at the seam. Craviotto, for example, brilliantly turned the seam from a detractor into a design feature by putting an inlay around the middle of their drums.

Good luck! Bill is an incredible builder.

I too have a rosewood steam-bent in the works. I can't say more yet, as its a special project with a particular builder who wants to make a big to-do themselves, but... it'll be spectacular, as yours will certainly be as well!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Curious - what will be the difference between this Pork Pie and your Tama?
The pork pie is steambent construction, also with the purple heart inlay.

The rosewood is a regular 12 ply shell. Different construction, different sound. I've always wanted a steambent snare as I hear they're incredible. The Tama is definitely an amazing snare though. Rosewood is my favorite wood for snare drums.