"Dreamsville": Not OT

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I heard this on TV every week when I was a kid, to the point where I had it memorized. It was the closing theme on Peter Gunn. Young as I was, I was fascinated with the melody and harmony. I thought Henry Mancini was the coolest guy in the world.

I truly believe that music in the mass media shapes our lives, our brains, our imaginations, and our attitudes. It has tremendous influence on society as a whole. Compare this with the crap kids hear in the media today. What a shame.

Bonus points if anybody can identify the pianist!

Relax, listen, and take a trip to Dreamsville.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No idea who the pianist is but man that was smooothhh...

Wouldn't mind two hours of that streamed on a nice evening alone with the wife and the cell phones locked up in the fridge...

Thanks!

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
No idea who the pianist is but man that was smooothhh...

Wouldn't mind two hours of that streamed on a nice evening alone with the wife and the cell phones locked up in the fridge...

Thanks!
Yeah, that's beautiful mood music. You might try playing it for your wife!

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
John Williams makes sense. Sometimes it reminds me a bit of Oscar Peterson...but I doubt that.

musicman64

Reaction score
That 50's- 60's theme music was wonderful..and so memorable. Totally mood setting. You KNEW what was on. I have all of the Gunn albums, but two of my favorites were "Mr. Lucky" and of course "77 Sunset Strip{snap..snap}" Most of it was bachelor pad/cocktail type ambiance..Even miss the other types also..Twilight Zone..Inner Sanctum..One Step beyond..Thriller..Alfred Hitchcock type stuff..all very well conceived ,performed and produced.In my humble opinion..As Bob Hope said" Thanks for the memories"

kdgrissom

Reaction score
Yep. According to Wiki, the pianist was John Williams. I got a couple of opportunities to work with Mr. Mancini earlier in my career. He was an absolute gentleman. Soft spoken and easy going. I feel his music was the very embodiment of his nature and character. He grew up near Pittsburgh and his dad was a steel worker. He told us wonderful stories, especially one about his hometown Sons of Italy community band that would saunter rather than march in step during parades. He also helped others including Bill Conti (Rocky and the Right Stuff) get started in LA.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Krushchev's thought police designated Boris Paternak an enemy of the state .

Last edited: