Drilling and edging Ludwig vistalite tom

healthie1

Reaction score
Hey pals -

im getting around to the many drum projects I have and the first up is this 14”x10” ludwig vistalite tom. My plan is to cut double 45s on the edges, remove the mount and install an Atlas mount, and drill for a bottom head.

what advise and special tools would you recommend? I’ll be using a drum layout map and I have access to a drill press. I need to put a routing table together and I’m assuming I’ll need a special routing bit. Tape the edges beforehand?

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I drilled some dw acrylic I had my wife spray water while I was drilling I masked both sides and went slow i didnt push real hard. Used a sharp bit. Went fine as far as routing make sure your bit is super sharp. A dull bit will make marks on the edge.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey pals -

im getting around to the many drum projects I have and the first up is this 14”x10” ludwig vistalite tom. My plan is to cut double 45s on the edges, remove the mount and install an Atlas mount, and drill for a bottom head.

what advise and special tools would you recommend? I’ll be using a drum layout map and I have access to a drill press. I need to put a routing table together and I’m assuming I’ll need a special routing bit. Tape the edges beforehand?
You had me excited until you said “install an Atlas mount. . . .” I’m not a fan, especially on a drum bigger than about 8x12. Too much weight supported by a mount near the edge of the drum. Not only will it choke the drum (it choked my 9x13), I’m afraid it might damage or crack the shell. JMO! YMMV! Etc.

healthie1

Reaction score
I decided to abandon doing this; I'm not going to keep it. Going to have a ton of drums as it is.