Drilling bass drum mount

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
So my plan is to drill a bass drum mount on my new C&C 14x22 Player Date II. It’s a wrapped drum. I’m going to use a Gretsch mount.

I will be using a 1 3/8 bit similar to the picture. My question is how do I prevent the wood from splintering on the inside of the shell?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

72FFA093-E849-4510-BD4B-63DF38FFC38D.jpeg

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I would clamp a piece of wood underneath where you are drilling so your bit will continue drilling into wood after it passes through the actual shell. Once the bit has penetrated that second piece you should be ok. Or once the pilot tip gets through and the larger hole saw has made a little progress, drill from the other side to complete the hole.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
If using that bit, which I probably wouldn't, I would cut only halfway through from the outside of the shell then reposition the bit to the inside and finish so neither side can "blowout" . The hole from the center bit will be all the way through so the bit will center itself on that on the second pass.

I've had good luck using step bits on shells, provided they are thin enough, but I'm not sure if you could find one that big. They cut from the side and make nice clean holes.

Edit: sorry should have read all of repete's post so I didn't repeat.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree - drill outside in and once you get past the wrap, flip it over and go the other way inside out. If you can clamp a piece of wood on the opposite side prior to drilling (inside first, then outside), then do that just in case.

Make a video, too, if you can - I'd love to see it! Good luck....

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you have a scrap chunk of shell or wood hoop to clamp inside, that works well as it conforms to the curvature. Good luck doc!

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So my plan is to drill a bass drum mount on my new C&C 14x22 Player Date II. It’s a wrapped drum. I’m going to use a Gretsch mount.

I will be using a 1 3/8 bit similar to the picture. My question is how do I prevent the wood from splintering on the inside of the shell?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

View attachment 386930
You're drilling a NEW C&C Bass Drum?

latzanimal

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
Last edited:

nopork

Reaction score
Harbor Freight has larger step bit up to 1-3/8”. I’ve used it many tines to drill shells. Fast and leaves a nice clean hole.

Latest posts