drilling holes in a virgin bass drum shell to accomodate a tom mount

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I drilled my Tama Star Walnut. No regrets.
As does Simon Phillips. His Star Maple bass drums are custom built 1mm thinner (4mm instead of 5mm) than the production models with 13” and 14” toms mounted on top of one of them.

View attachment 429128
I would not have drilled holes in those cymbals, Halldorl, but that’s just me.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I drilled my Tama Star Walnut. No regrets.
As does Simon Phillips. His Star Maple bass drums are custom built 1mm thinner (4mm instead of 5mm) than the production models with 13” and 14” toms mounted on top of one of them.

View attachment 429128
A cylinder, especially one with heads tensioned on each end is incredibly strong.

It is no coincidence that many bridges are based on an arch, or half a circle.

I normally have a 12" or 13" tom and a boom arm with a 22" ping ride mounted to my Premier birch bass drum. It is one of the older ones with the really thin three ply shells with beech rerings. No issues at all.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Get a brad point bit of the appropriate size. If you drill slowly you will not get tear out. If you use a standard twist drill bit you will get tear out. You can get little clamp on depth stop collar that will you can set to just allow the bit to cut through. As long as you have two layers of painters tape on the surface it will protect the finish from the depth stop.
+1, mark the location with a punch and the point on the brad point bit will give the most accurate clean hole. Drill once with the correct size bit and your done.