Drilling Through New Wrap and Shell

ludwigsok

Reaction score
This is a follow up to a previous post of mine. What type of drill bit does anyone recommend for drilling a new wrapped shell without pre-drilled holes? This would be for drilling a new hole through the wrap and shell. I read a lot about people using a brad point bit. Seems a bit aggressive, but I've never tried using one.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
A brad point bit helps with accurate placement, but a general purpose bit should be totally fine as long as you use an awl or center punch to mark the hole(s) first.

Other considerations:

1. Make sure the inside of the shell is supported when you drill. This will prevent blowout on the inner ply.

2. If you're using a heavy hand drill, consider enlisting a helper to hold the shell in place while you drill (or clamp it in place).

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do a small pilot hole and finish off with a stepped bit both inside and out.
Don't forget to punch reference points into your measurements. But other than that, this is the way to do it. On all the shells I do, I use a 1/16" (I think) brad point bit set up in my drill press then go back around with a step bit. I also come back with a small hand drill and the same step bit then drill from the inside of the shell just to smooth out the hole.