Dropped Facebook

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hello fellow drumforum members.
I just want to say that I cut the cord with fb today. They deactivate your account for 30 days before they delete your account permanently however. This gives ample time to change one's mind I guess.
I'm hoping I will steady the course for deletion. I was spending far too much time there.
It has been a very good 'forum' to buy and sell vintage drums I'll have to admit.
I'm hoping to spend my quality drum talk time here and maybe one or two other Drum Forums.

Cheers,
Gary

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I think I'm two weeks into my 30 days. I got tired of their manipulation of my feed. Not seeing stuff from friends who I knew were posting. It'd show me the same 3 people constantly. Went to a wedding and it starts recommending friends who were there but I had zero mutual Facebook friends. That was one of the last nails for me. The company is way beyond creepy. It's why they exist. Soyonara Zuck.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I have five thousand friends , I have no friends .

I've never engaged in facebook, twitter, instagram, paypal . I somehow landed up on Linkedin , have never responded to it , don't need Russian girlfriends . Don't remember my own cell number - it's the old little flip top I rarely use.

Last edited:

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think I'll take up fly-fishing too. I'm retired as of Dec 2012. It's great... sleep in if I feel like it. I was on call 24/7 at times with my job and carried a cell phone most of the time. I swore that when I retired I'd loose the cell phone. I lasted about 6 months.... haha.. and bought into it.
It is handy when you want to send photos of a drum for instance. Or call your wife to find out what isle she's in at the grocery store etc.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'd also like to once again say - that despite their other issues and evils - social media has attempted to replace forums such as this one as the go-to place for information on various topics. And they suck horribly at it. But they've made a significant dent in even old school established forums, and they do seem to be "the place" for things which have come along in the past few years.

3D Printing has precious few forums - it's all on Facebook and YouTube. They lack threads, search, persistence, and organization. It's a just a big tandem trailer which might as well have a million conversations shouting over each other. And YouTube is gamed such that it encourages people to make 30 minute videos for monetization. So idiots get up and ramble without a script or editing for 30 minutes, when I could search, find and read the information I seek in 2-3 minutes tops.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all in how you handle it. I've been on Facebook for around 3 years; I joined strictly because I got an analog modular synthesizer and wanted to be in touch with a couple of groups of other synthesizer aficionados. I don't post anything on my own home page except for my cover photos — no personal info, no opinions/rants, nothing. I'm 'friends' with family members and a couple of other synthesizer players; that's it. I don't get any newsfeeds or any other stuff on the platform. They send me 'friend requests' and I delete them. I spend ten minutes or less a day on Facebook. It's only evil if you aren't in control.

Don't forget: Social media is just people talking, nothing more and nothing less. It's up to you to decide who you listen to and who you ignore.

Dillasdonuts

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I left Facebook sometime last year. I miss very little of it. There were a couple of pages that helped me with some software and design problems. Other than that I don't have use for it anymore. I was really active and overly active on there for many years.

Best of luck on your journey to reduce social media consumption.