Dropped Facebook

kevinyarger

Reaction score
I’ve had a Facebook account ever since 2005 when you had to have .edu email account to sign up. However I deleted the Facebook app off of my phone because I started to notice how often I would get a red notification buttons for the dumbest of stuff and 30 minutes later I was still on the app.(which is obviously their goal) its been great, every couple days I’ll check in to see photos from family and friends and go on with my day because my daughter only naps for so long. Having fb(on my computer)and a couple other social media platforms during the lockdown honestly helped me not feel so isolated on the colder days I couldn’t go outside.

if anyone is looking for a documentary to watch “the social dilemma“ on Netflix was an eye opener for me and has had me taking a harder look out how I use social media.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
. It's only evil if you aren't in control.
Don't forget: Social media is just people talking, nothing more and nothing less. It's up to you to decide who you listen to and who you ignore.
The tracking and information aggregation crosses lines. Facebook tracks you for ad purpose even if you don't have an account.

And Facebook also controls the flow of information in your feed, injecting their own editorial bias into what your friends are saying by featuring and hiding content according to their purposes.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can understand why people don’t like it, but it’s gotten me back in touch with a lot of people who I would have always thought, “I wonder what happened to him/her”. Facebook just lead to me organizing a high school swim team reunion where even the coach came. It was a great time.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I joined Facecrack in 2011 when I googled an old friend with whom I wanted to speak. The only listings were on FB pages so I joined. Since then, I use it mostly to keep up with a network of old friends plus coworkers in different states and countries around the world (archaeologists, art historians, and historians who work in South America). And I serve as a troll on as many political posts as possible.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And therein lies the problem - it's eating us up as a country.
If calling out stuff that isn’t factual is eating up this country, count me in. As an independent, I’m an equal opportunity troller. And I live under a bridge so it is my destiny.

jb111

Reaction score
Left it last year and haven't missed it once. But then I do check Instagram, so there's that...

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The tracking and information aggregation crosses lines. Facebook tracks you for ad purpose even if you don't have an account.

And Facebook also controls the flow of information in your feed, injecting their own editorial bias into what your friends are saying by featuring and hiding content according to their purposes.
It's not just social media exploiting algorithmic bias, it's also companies who write software for questionnaires that facilitate insurance policies - health, home and auto - and other data handling that, while it's increasingly automated, is also less transparent. And so any potential programmed bias is unknown.

For example, with auto insurance, rates have less and less to do with your driving record and more to do with aggregated data having nothing to do with that record. Investigations into data gathering for health insurances have revealed an increasing emphasis on factors beyond what you'd normally associate with a health policy; aggregated data mining from various sources can reveal quite a lot about someone without their knowledge.

That's not to say it's some felonious plot, but if there's no governing body with access to the algorithms that determine outcomes for the public at large, who's to say what's afoot?

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do what works for you.

I like being able to tap into friends I made in previous incarnations all over the planet, and other like-minded souls.

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
the best part about FaceBook is being able to complain about FaceBook to other users of FaceBook while being logged in to FaceBook

the second best part is writing a forum post informing everyone else about leaving a forum

Happy Times!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been able to stay connected with a few friends on there, also I keep up with family across the country. I had way to many people added mostly local musicians which I have found I didn't have that much in common with and deleted a bunch this past year. Just like the news I choose when and how much I want to be on.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fb would be fine if it were moderated like here with the same guidelines. Problem solved. The free speech debate is absurd. You're in someone else's house. If they have rules, you play by them.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, I control the flow of information, because I choose what to read and what to ignore. The less-than-a-dozen people I follow are all friends and relatives with whom I have relationships in real-life, and I've never seen anything in any of the things they've posted that didn't come directly from them. I would think that if you read something from a friend that didn't jive with who you know they are that you'd discuss it with them away from FB to suss out the truth of the matter. Verifying truth is part of controlling the information you access, no matter what platform you access it from.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides my passion of music, my wife and I are very involved in animal rescue. My posts are about music, animal rescue and adventures with my wife. It is what I talk about on FB. Facebook is useful for promoting and/or keeping up with those two interests.

My facebook friends are people that I've either known personally forever, or are contacts involved in animal rescue or music. If someone is filling my feed with something else, they are gone.

For now, I'm still on there.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your still feeding the beast though.

While what your doing is innocent enough, like thousands everyday, the platform you're using has become a tool for other, possibly more shady doings. Is there a bigger picture we must all face here? (not judging, just asking)
You're

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hear ya.

It all started out nice and innocent, but it's become something rather nefarious and maybe even dangerous nowadays.
I think it started out badly; everyone with their fake names and no consequence for their behavior. At least with Facebook, whatever it is someone says does have them even if it’s just personal reputation.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow drumforum members.
I just want to say that I cut the cord with fb today. They deactivate your account for 30 days before they delete your account permanently however. This gives ample time to change one's mind I guess.
I'm hoping I will steady the course for deletion. I was spending far too much time there.
It has been a very good 'forum' to buy and sell vintage drums I'll have to admit.
I'm hoping to spend my quality drum talk time here and maybe one or two other Drum Forums.

Cheers,
Gary
This and two photographic sites are the only ones I participate. Never had Fartbook, Twit, Instatrash, etc. I don't even have cable let alone listen to commercial radio or Television. Enjoy your freedom! Just a ghetto boy, me and my gat. Rat-ta-tat, tat!