Dropped Facebook

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This site is more Social Networking ... not Social Media, Service Media, Mass Media, or even Informational Media.

We are a group of like-minded hobbiest and professionals that socially network with each other on various topics.
Generally speaking, we are not creating Media for either storage or delivery. We are not an arm of the Mass Media.
There is no real Media derived from this site. Only shared interests that we network together about and discuss.

This forum is a Network of individuals sharing individual opinions and stories about various topics of choice.

Leonsis is said to have coined the phrase (much to the chagrin of Sharkey) in reference to AOL. Consider that AOL was a MEDIA storage and dissemination channel. So, when Leonsis wanted to add the Social aspect to AOL with his Instant Messanger piece, it naturally formed a Social MEDIA congomerate. The Social was added to the already existing MEDIA.

Keep in mind, FB and Twitter and such are also Social Networking platforms. BUT, they are ALSO MEDIA platforms ... ergo, Social Media sites.

Hopefully, that helps to clear up the misunderstanding here.

Market Business News - The term media, which is the plural of medium, refers to the communication channels through which we disseminate news, music, movies, education, promotional messages and other data. It includes physical and online newspapers and magazines, television, radio, billboards, telephone, the Internet, fax and billboards.

Oxford - media is the main ways that large numbers of people receive information and entertainment, that is television, radio, newspapers and the internet

It's is for storage and dissemination of information to the masses and the channels through which it travels.
That does not describe this forum.
Huh? DFO is a medium where people socialize electronically. Seems like social media by definition. Just because we have a narrow common interest doesn’t change that.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? DFO is a medium where people socialize electronically. Seems like social media by definition. Just because we have a narrow common interest doesn’t change that.
Right.
But it is missing the Media portion.
It is Social. It is Networking.
But this site does not fall into the Media arena.
The understanding of the MEDIA portion if the term is the hangup with the designation.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Right.
That is the hangup with the designation.
Wut? Of course it does. DFO is electronic medium where drummers socialize. If FB was only for drummers it would, no less, be a social medium.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Right.
The understanding of the MEDIA portion if the term is the hangup with the designation.
Forums that are communities like this one are different than a social media platform. By definition, this is social, but it’s not a wide platform. If there is any comparison to social media, it would be a Facebook group.

But I understand where you’re coming from and agree.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
DFO is not social media, it's an online community.

The definition of "social media" notwithstanding, that politics, religion and C19 and certain other restricted topics kinda takes the "media" aspect out of the equation but otherwise that aspect still wouldn't be necessary to disqualify DFO as "social media".

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DFO is not social media, it's an online community.

The definition of "social media" notwithstanding, that politics, religion and C19 and certain other restricted topics kinda takes the "media" aspect out of the equation but otherwise that aspect still wouldn't be necessary to disqualify DFO as "social media".
I think there’s confusion about the meaning of the word medium in this context. The internet is a medium (an intermediary) of communication. DFO is definitely a social medium for drummers.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there’s confusion about the meaning of the word medium in this context. The internet is a medium (an intermediary) of communication. DFO is definitely a social medium for drummers.
That I don't disagree with at all, maybe it got crossed over to social media instead of medium.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That I don't disagree with at all, maybe it got crossed over to social media instead of medium.
In this context, media is plural for medium. The nature of the communication is not what includes or excludes a device from being a medium or part of media.

PS: DFO is a member based forum that is part of the larger internet media that enables drummers to communicate with each other.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Perhaps I didn't state it clearly enough. DFO is a FORUM with threads and is gathered around an INTEREST.

Social Media is a gathering by SOCIAL CONNECTIONS. The common thread is who you know, not interests. And when it tries to aggregate people by interests it has so far failed miserably. Because the entire platform is built around FRIENDS, not INTERESTS.

It's like trying to organize people by eye color or something equally unrelated to interests.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it started out badly; everyone with their fake names and no consequence for their behavior. At least with Facebook, whatever it is someone says does have them even if it’s just personal reputation.
I wonder if the real name thing actually made things worse. I know a lot of people jumped ship to FB from forums because they believed fake names allowed more caustic behavior. I think people were more well behaved using their real names at first, but it didn't take long for people's desire to be jerks to overcome damage to their personal reputation. But how could that be worse? I think a lot of people have allowed that new online "real" identity (where I'm a jerk and proud of it) to take hold, and find comfort with other like minded "real" online identities. Before, there was a clear line between someone's trollish online identity and who they were at work or home. Now, I think that's been merged and is spilling out into the actual real world.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The man that coined the phrase ...

Leonsis says he is certain the phrase (SOCIAL MEDIA) came out of AOL in the early 1990s, where he and company founder Steve Case were developing what would become AOL Instant Messenger. "We started to talk about 'social media,' this idea that AOL was this mashup of technology and communications and media itself," he says. "If it really mattered, I'm sure we could find a deck somewhere [from that period] that talked about social networking and social media."

Social Networking is NOT Social Media.
You HAVE to have Media for it to be included in the term.
This is missing from the Drumforum.org. site.
It is a Social Networking site by definition.
Again, the use of the term "media" in this context is the issue for some of you.

If in doubt ... go back to the man that first used the phrase and understand what he was saying.
AOL was a Media based site.
He ADDED the Social piece when he developed Instant Messenger.
Hence, the mashup.
Now, it is known as Social (the Social Networking portion) Media (the original Media storage/dissemination portion).
Again, hopefully that clears it up for the members here.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The media in Social Media refers to the method of communication and social interaction; in our context, the internet.

As the plural of medium, 'media' simply acknowledges the various means and platforms by which we communicate and interact online.

AOL describing their 'walled garden', most of it loaded onto your PC from a CD ROM, as being everything and the medium itself likely had a lot to do with AOL providing a complete user experience. If anyone recalls, you were warned when leaving the boundary of AOL to venture onto the internet because AOL had no control over what you might see or encounter.

Social Media today is everything from Forums to Facebook to Instagram to Reddit and the numerous snapchats and ... I can't keep track of all the social media platforms that facilitate user interaction, sharing of data, photos, and music. There's a new one popping up every few months.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the real name thing actually made things worse. I know a lot of people jumped ship to FB from forums because they believed fake names allowed more caustic behavior. I think people were more well behaved using their real names at first, but it didn't take long for people's desire to be jerks to overcome damage to their personal reputation. But how could that be worse? I think a lot of people have allowed that new online "real" identity (where I'm a jerk and proud of it) to take hold, and find comfort with other like minded "real" online identities. Before, there was a clear line between someone's trollish online identity and who they were at work or home. Now, I think that's been merged and is spilling out into the actual real world.
I’m okay with that. They need to be responsible for what they are saying.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m okay with that. They need to be responsible for what they are saying.
Individuals need to be responsible for what they say and for what they listen to. People can choose to yield control of their social media experience to the media companies or they can choose to retain control of their own social media experience. Just as the moderators here on DFO keep the forum focused on our shared interest, with social media at large you are your own moderator, and are responsible for the amount of focus (or lack of focus) in your experience there.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The media in Social Media refers to the method of communication and social interaction; in our context, the internet.

As the plural of medium, 'media' simply acknowledges the various means and platforms by which we communicate and interact online.

AOL describing their 'walled garden', most of it loaded onto your PC from a CD ROM, as being everything and the medium itself likely had a lot to do with AOL providing a complete user experience. If anyone recalls, you were warned when leaving the boundary of AOL to venture onto the internet because AOL had no control over what you might see or encounter.

Social Media today is everything from Forums to Facebook to Instagram to Reddit and the numerous snapchats and ... I can't keep track of all the social media platforms that facilitate user interaction, sharing of data, photos, and music. There's a new one popping up every few months.
Bingo!

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In this context,

is plural for medium. The nature of the communication is not what includes or excludes a device from being a medium or part of media.

PS: DFO is a member based forum that is part of the larger internet media that enables drummers to communicate with each other.
It won't work! Even if you provide the definition and the definition says "... and the Internet"

media def.png