Dropped Facebook

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Right.
But it is missing the Media portion.
It is Social. It is Networking.
But this site does not fall into the Media arena.
The understanding of the MEDIA portion if the term is the hangup with the designation.
Forums that are communities like this one are different than a social media platform. By definition, this is social, but it’s not a wide platform. If there is any comparison to social media, it would be a Facebook group.

But I understand where you’re coming from and agree.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
DFO is not social media, it's an online community.

The definition of "social media" notwithstanding, that politics, religion and C19 and certain other restricted topics kinda takes the "media" aspect out of the equation but otherwise that aspect still wouldn't be necessary to disqualify DFO as "social media".

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DFO is not social media, it's an online community.

The definition of "social media" notwithstanding, that politics, religion and C19 and certain other restricted topics kinda takes the "media" aspect out of the equation but otherwise that aspect still wouldn't be necessary to disqualify DFO as "social media".
I think there’s confusion about the meaning of the word medium in this context. The internet is a medium (an intermediary) of communication. DFO is definitely a social medium for drummers.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there’s confusion about the meaning of the word medium in this context. The internet is a medium (an intermediary) of communication. DFO is definitely a social medium for drummers.
That I don't disagree with at all, maybe it got crossed over to social media instead of medium.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That I don't disagree with at all, maybe it got crossed over to social media instead of medium.
In this context, media is plural for medium. The nature of the communication is not what includes or excludes a device from being a medium or part of media.

PS: DFO is a member based forum that is part of the larger internet media that enables drummers to communicate with each other.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Perhaps I didn't state it clearly enough. DFO is a FORUM with threads and is gathered around an INTEREST.

Social Media is a gathering by SOCIAL CONNECTIONS. The common thread is who you know, not interests. And when it tries to aggregate people by interests it has so far failed miserably. Because the entire platform is built around FRIENDS, not INTERESTS.

It's like trying to organize people by eye color or something equally unrelated to interests.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it started out badly; everyone with their fake names and no consequence for their behavior. At least with Facebook, whatever it is someone says does have them even if it’s just personal reputation.
I wonder if the real name thing actually made things worse. I know a lot of people jumped ship to FB from forums because they believed fake names allowed more caustic behavior. I think people were more well behaved using their real names at first, but it didn't take long for people's desire to be jerks to overcome damage to their personal reputation. But how could that be worse? I think a lot of people have allowed that new online "real" identity (where I'm a jerk and proud of it) to take hold, and find comfort with other like minded "real" online identities. Before, there was a clear line between someone's trollish online identity and who they were at work or home. Now, I think that's been merged and is spilling out into the actual real world.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The media in Social Media refers to the method of communication and social interaction; in our context, the internet.

As the plural of medium, 'media' simply acknowledges the various means and platforms by which we communicate and interact online.

AOL describing their 'walled garden', most of it loaded onto your PC from a CD ROM, as being everything and the medium itself likely had a lot to do with AOL providing a complete user experience. If anyone recalls, you were warned when leaving the boundary of AOL to venture onto the internet because AOL had no control over what you might see or encounter.

Social Media today is everything from Forums to Facebook to Instagram to Reddit and the numerous snapchats and ... I can't keep track of all the social media platforms that facilitate user interaction, sharing of data, photos, and music. There's a new one popping up every few months.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the real name thing actually made things worse. I know a lot of people jumped ship to FB from forums because they believed fake names allowed more caustic behavior. I think people were more well behaved using their real names at first, but it didn't take long for people's desire to be jerks to overcome damage to their personal reputation. But how could that be worse? I think a lot of people have allowed that new online "real" identity (where I'm a jerk and proud of it) to take hold, and find comfort with other like minded "real" online identities. Before, there was a clear line between someone's trollish online identity and who they were at work or home. Now, I think that's been merged and is spilling out into the actual real world.
I’m okay with that. They need to be responsible for what they are saying.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m okay with that. They need to be responsible for what they are saying.
Individuals need to be responsible for what they say and for what they listen to. People can choose to yield control of their social media experience to the media companies or they can choose to retain control of their own social media experience. Just as the moderators here on DFO keep the forum focused on our shared interest, with social media at large you are your own moderator, and are responsible for the amount of focus (or lack of focus) in your experience there.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The media in Social Media refers to the method of communication and social interaction; in our context, the internet.

As the plural of medium, 'media' simply acknowledges the various means and platforms by which we communicate and interact online.

AOL describing their 'walled garden', most of it loaded onto your PC from a CD ROM, as being everything and the medium itself likely had a lot to do with AOL providing a complete user experience. If anyone recalls, you were warned when leaving the boundary of AOL to venture onto the internet because AOL had no control over what you might see or encounter.

Social Media today is everything from Forums to Facebook to Instagram to Reddit and the numerous snapchats and ... I can't keep track of all the social media platforms that facilitate user interaction, sharing of data, photos, and music. There's a new one popping up every few months.
Bingo!

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In this context,

is plural for medium. The nature of the communication is not what includes or excludes a device from being a medium or part of media.

PS: DFO is a member based forum that is part of the larger internet media that enables drummers to communicate with each other.
It won't work! Even if you provide the definition and the definition says "... and the Internet"

media def.png

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, we'll.....
I like it here.... so far.... in that this 'Forum' is not like FB. It may loosely be compared to a closed /Private Group on FB but still feels even better than that for me.... so far.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hate FB, but it absolutely killed the Sonor Museum forum before it went belly up for good. If you want to be a part of the Sonor online community it’s FB or nothing at all.

It’s a shame but just last week I got a rosewood snare that was not on the bay or the verb, but on a drum shop website out of Jersey. It got mentioned on FB and no where else. The Sonor topics on DFO are few and far between. So I do FB with no friends, no timeline, no story and just a few Sonor related groups.

One key difference between a forum and social media is the product. Remember on FB YOU are the product. Your what’s being sold and passed to whoever; advertisers or PACs. DFO does not sell your information does it? Big difference and yes FB is an ever growing pile of humanure.

Twitter is called Twitter for a reason; cause it’s for twits. They make no bones about it and call you a fool to your face for using it.

Life was so much simpler with the Inquirer and a bit more honest.

5151E37E-9524-4C43-96DE-FE33A105A237.jpeg
29522935-B4FC-46E5-8AD6-D486654D659C.jpeg
94E3B9F3-C8A8-4881-8AA7-AA11D9CFF80E.jpeg
47B7BF49-6A79-41D6-9B49-34819F464DA2.jpeg
E4B83061-B39A-48FC-95B3-2317E04CA86C.jpeg