header.nohb.html

Drum Accessories-The Good, The Bad, The Worthless

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am not much of a fan of "accessories." In the 1960's I did have one of those cymbal sizzlers that you adjust the diameter on. Didn't use it much
past the 1980's....and now lost forever. Briefly tried a metronome for the 1st time a couple years ago. Wood blocks and cowbells sit in the cases 99.99% of the time.

That's about my involvement in accessories. I basically only use stands, pedals, drums, cymbals, and sticks.

And i was pretty content with a single drum kit and 6 "old" Zildjian cymbals up to 2018...........and then discovered this forum.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I love my Gibraltar quick release hi hat clutch and the Camber T-tops which I would never go without now. Also, I have both the regular Meinl hi hat tambourine and the Ching Ring. When I want that jangle I want it to cut through, plus the post mounted one can be played with a stick.

You're using those devices wrong if you're using them to adjust dynamics. Those are all designed for timbre changes, not dynamic changes.
Why not for both? Just because that wasn't the original intent doesn't mean the use can't change. Brushes originally came from fly swatters but they realized they could be used to help quiet the drums down before amplification of the other instruments. I only ever use rods and brushes to quiet the drums despite the timbre change, when the lightest drum sticks are still too loud with soft playing.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not for both? Just because that wasn't the original intent doesn't mean the use can't change. Brushes originally came from fly swatters but they realized they could be used to help quiet the drums down before amplification of the other instruments. I only ever use rods and brushes to quiet the drums despite the timbre change, when the lightest drum sticks are still too loud with soft playing.

Brushes don't sound like sticks played quietly. If that's the sound you want, just learn to play quieter.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like these …
93D8E7A1-B64F-4BAD-BFD5-4C849FDDFF29.png
CED465FD-34FF-47A8-A245-EDA72C063660.png

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
So, how do you get the timbre of a rod without using a rod?
Have no idea since every rod I have heard used by other drummers is nowhere near a sound I would want to produce. I guess I am too old school. Same for cymbal stacks, cymbals with big holes, etc.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have no idea since every rod I have heard used by other drummers is nowhere near a sound I would want to produce. I guess I am too old school. Same for cymbal stacks, cymbals with big holes, etc.
Rods are terrible …..Yukk

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Nutz cymbal stand tops, I glue a felts on mine and they are great.
One more for Meinl Ching Ring, I put it on any instrument depending on what we're trying for, and super easy to grab and throw on the floor too after
I got to have a beater patch and Evans clear or small white Kevlar are barely noticeable sound and feel-wise
Those little half sized travel pillows are perfect for a 14" deep bass drum especially when they are old and a bit worn in

Junk
Stick attatched tambourine jingles
Drumeo dampening dots (don't stick)

Too expensive
Pre fab o ring mufflers

WLVN

Reaction score
Hoop mount stick holder... used it for a couple days. It barely held two sticks at crazy wonky angles... I was using 2Bs at the time. I know why they stopped making them. Anyway, it mounted to where I wanted to put my cowbell holder. In a box she went... still there. I saw a rusty old one on Reverb for $75, oh the shame!

screenshot.jpg

karlcrafton

Reaction score
Hoop mount stick holder... used it for a couple days. It barely held two sticks at crazy wonky angles... I was using 2Bs at the time. I know why they stopped making them. Anyway, it mounted to where I wanted to put my cowbell holder. In a box she went... still there. I saw a rusty old one on Reverb for $75, oh the shame!

View attachment 567597
Haha, and Steve Jordan is using one of these on tour with The Stones....

I have a couple of these. Good for 5A and smaller, ONE set of 5B, anything bigger, forget it.
You also have to go in knowing the sticks are going to be on an angle, and I KNOW that would drive some people insane haha!

Commodore

Reaction score
I like INDe cymbal gummies.... They are very good!

Tested against felt washers, they are cleaner, less damped...

Last edited:

10thMtnDivCpl

Reaction score
Gorilla snot. Bought it sometime in '95 or '96? Terrible from what I remember. It made the stick more slippery.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
these were always ok;
have one that has not deteriorated in
umm 30+ years..

marketed Rogers but made offshore

Last edited:

TomC727

Reaction score
A box of bandaids for the inevitable bone bruise/blister I get on both my middle fingers (I pre-treat before they form). Been doing it since high school.