header.nohb.html

Drum Accessories-The Good, The Bad, The Worthless

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cymbal rattler, Vic Firth stick caddies, and gaff tape are my top "gadgets." I don't really mess with any of the other ones. That's just more stuff to lug around.

NoNutsPercussionBill

Reaction score
No Nutz cymbal stand tops, I glue a felts on mine and they are great.
One more for Meinl Ching Ring, I put it on any instrument depending on what we're trying for, and super easy to grab and throw on the floor too after
I got to have a beater patch and Evans clear or small white Kevlar are barely noticeable sound and feel-wise
Those little half sized travel pillows are perfect for a 14" deep bass drum especially when they are old and a bit worn in

Junk
Stick attatched tambourine jingles
Drumeo dampening dots (don't stick)

Too expensive
Pre fab o ring mufflers
If you like our No Nuts Sleeves, you should seriously checkout the No Nuts CymRings. They also compression fit and pack away with the stand as well. Check out vid at bottom of home page https://nonutspercussion.com/

NoNutsPercussionBill

Reaction score
Great accessories...
Crash Pad drum rug. Can fold and roll up to fit a hardware bag. The block keeps the bass drum from moving. Only thing is, they used to be $40, now they're up to twice that.

Cymbal crowns. They have 8mm and 6mm for most stands. They'll work on 1/4 American stands as well. You don't need the felts, though I use one anyway. If you have old cymbals with small holes, you can easily file the top nub down and use old As and Ks.

A roll of real gaffer tape. (NOT DUCT TAPE!! Big difference.) Great for muffling. You can remove the piece and reapply it for years. Just PLEASE don't make that stupid fold. One guy did that a million years ago, and everyone else did it. There's zero reason for it..
Plus, with gaffer tape you can, in a pinch, repair any stand or pedal, yet when you remove the tape it won't leave a gooey mess.

Those remo O ring or similar by other brands. I keep them nearby on every gig. They really do the trick for small rooms, or times when you really don't need lots of ring (rings to reduce ring!!). Easy to take on and off... can do it in a second.

Not "worthless," but accessories I don't really get (anymore).
Moongel, drum dots, dollar store window clings, etc. They do a good job, but they can get messy and if you move or remove them, it's a pain to reuse them. Gaffer tape is just so much better for the same thing.
Any cymbal topper that comes off, like those wing nuts that you pinch and slide instead of threading on like a wing nut. I just don't get it. They can still come off and fall down the back of the stage while you're setting up. I guess if you like to "clamp'' down a felt for muffling a cymbal it might make sense, but I never used them.
You might like the No Nuts Cymbal Mounting System. We won best in show at name earlier this month. Check out the vid at the bottom of our home page. One size fits all stands and adjusts to ever cymbal hole. https://nonutspercussion.com/

rsmittee

Reaction score
I just bought the little TnR booty shakers for my snare stand. I have a crappy old Pearl tom that totally chokes on the tom mount, so we'll see if the booty shakers on a snare stand do the trick.
Tried out the booty shakers on that old tom yesterday, and the difference is enormous! Totally choked on the tom mount, and sings like a bird on the booty shakers on a snare stand. I'm a fan!

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just for s**ts and grins, last year I bought a couple sets of "Original Booty Shakers" for my floor-tom legs. They're 3"-diameter foam cylinders (made from two different kinds of dense foam) that the leg tips insert into. They're supposed to increase floor-tom resonance and although they indeed did increase FT resonance, they increased it way too much, making the drumset sound unbalanced. And speaking of unbalanced, the foam caused the floor toms to shake around way too much under my sticks and made it very difficult to shift the positions of the drums on the floor.

After using them for a few days they went into "The Drawer Of No Return".
I bought these five or six years ago at the Nashville Drum Show. Yes, they made a substantial difference on bare floors. Not as much on a carpeted floor. But like you, I found it made positioning the floor tom difficult and the drum itself shook and moved slightly throughout the night. Do they work? Yes. Are they worth the hassle...No not for me.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really like Grombals. Never used No Nuts, but looking at them, they aren't really the same thing. The No Nut seems to go onto the cymbal stand, whereas the Grombal stays in the centre hole of the cymbal. What's way, way better about them?
To me, the No Nuts seem unnecessarily long? I don't like all that sticking out at the top and I really don't like the red color. Looks just a little cheesy and gaudy. Maybe they could do Black as well?

Stone Wilcoxon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever use the Aquarian cymbal springs? I used to use them. Not sure if there’s much point to them. View attachment 567968
I started using them in the '80s, and simultaneously stopping breaking cymbals. I have since gotten way better at hitting a cymbal correctly, so I don't use them anymore. They do help with mounting an inverted China, too.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If some accessories look like I can make
them by hand, I would have my own.
Otherwise I'm trying to avoid packratting
accessories that I might end up not using,
as it just amounts to clutter.

I don't spin sticks, but I would like to have
a set of stick rings to keep my sticks
in my hands. Meanwhile I'm using the
old double-sided tape method which
keeps my sticks in hand and I can blaze
all over my drums with fast fills while
not feeling any carpal tunnel pain...

...Also, with the tape, I can play an entire
setlist with the same pair of sticks
so I really don't need a stick holder.
As long as my sticks aren't chipped to
break I can use the one pair of sticks
for the entire setlist.

Back to Accessories... if I buy accessories
often, I'll end up not using them.
Then I'd have to sell them to drummers
who will actually Use them.
The actual Selling part is just too
bothersome for me.

Need vs Want, that's how I look at it.
Less clutter of accessories means
I can actually Use what I need as I
have the items at my reach.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
If some accessories look like I can make
them by hand, I would have my own.
Otherwise I'm trying to avoid packratting
accessories that I might end up not using,
as it just amounts to clutter.

I don't spin sticks, but I would like to have
a set of stick rings to keep my sticks
in my hands. Meanwhile I'm using the
old double-sided tape method which
keeps my sticks in hand and I can blaze
all over my drums with fast fills while
not feeling any carpal tunnel pain...

...Also, with the tape, I can play an entire
setlist with the same pair of sticks
so I really don't need a stick holder.
As long as my sticks aren't chipped to
break I can use the one pair of sticks
for the entire setlist.

Back to Accessories... if I buy accessories often, I'll end up not using them.
Then I'd have to sell them to drummers
who will actually Use them.
The actual Selling part is just too
bothersome for me.

Need vs Want, that's how I look at it.
Less clutter of accessories means
I can actually Use what I need as I
have the items at my reach.
You are in good company. Warren "Baby" Dodds had to have his sticks taped to his hands later in his life. His issue was caused by a stroke. What I admire about him (aside from the enormous influence he exerted over some giants such as Krupa and Buddy) is the fact that he did not let what to me would have been a show stopper prevent him from playing. He wasn't a very technical drummer by today's standards (or even during his era), but he supported the music and was a pioneer who did some interesting stuff with press rolls.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You are in good company. Warren "Baby" Dodds had to have his sticks taped to his hands later in his life. His issue was caused by a stroke. What I admire about him (aside from the enormous influence he exerted over some giants such as Krupa and Buddy) is the fact that he did not let what to me would have been a show stopper prevent him from playing. He wasn't a very technical drummer by today's standards (or even during his era), but he supported the music and was a pioneer who did some interesting stuff with press rolls.
Thank you! Dodds did the right thing
to keep the show going.
I'm a firm believer in trying Anything
that is practically necessary to
get the job done. :thumbleft:

David M Scott

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like my Rhythm Tech HiHat Tambourine.
Love the Tama Cymbal Mates.
The best accessory I have is my Yamaha Crosstown hardware.
Oh and my Rock-N-Roller cart! For me it's a lot about ease and speed of transport, set up and tear down.
Almost forgot my Kelly Shu too.
Crosstown is by far and away the best accessory I've ever purchased in 65plus years of drumming. They are built with typical Yamaha hardware precision, durability and "stay as set adjustment" And at 27lbs bag included for hat, snare basket and two cymbal stands the Crosstown is a no brainer..
unless your into bright chrome
finish on your hardware.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up some INDe Cymbal Gummies at the Chicago Vintage Drum Show and ai am really impressed with them . They really allow your cymbal to move more freely than standard felts and wing nuts and they do not choke the sound of your cymbals like felts do .

Some other items that I really like :
Yamaha Crosstown hardware
Tama Classic series hardware
Remo Hihat clutch quick disconnect
Swirly drink holder
Stick Pallette
Rock N Roller cart
Meinl Drum Honey (their version of moon gel)
Moon Gel Workout Practice pad
Prologix Brush Maps
Dixon Bass Drum riser
Live BPM
TuneBot
Big Fat Snare Drum
Danmar Zoro bass drum beater
Headhunters Dreamcatcher brushes
Head Hunters Fat Bastards

DB4C795F-31FD-4BDE-B475-78A253D0D8D2.jpeg
4B32817B-0C38-4566-8877-59595ACABB77.jpeg

superorganic

Reaction score
Soundseats are still available…

Outstanding! I thought J.R. Had passed, and assumed that was it for soundseat. Glad to know they are still around. They are really good thrones.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why is Remo silen stroke bad?

I've used them for many years for practice and electronic drums and work great. It is one of the most silent head that I've ever tried. Maybe it has more rebound that other but if it isnt problem...

For me the rebound thing was an issue.

Masecar

Reaction score
Most of my gadgets are noise makers.

LP Jam Blocks, Blast Blocks, Gajate bracket, cowbells, temple blocks...

I do love the BFSD products when they give me the sound I'm after. The original and Quesadilla are both super useful. The donut... I'll just use tape, thanks.

Cympads do work quite well, too.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score