header.nohb.html

Drum Accessories-The Good, The Bad, The Worthless

xtranoise

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, the No Nuts seem unnecessarily long? I don't like all that sticking out at the top and I really don't like the red color. Looks just a little cheesy and gaudy. Maybe they could do Black as well?
They do make black, I just looked.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like Grombals. Never used No Nuts, but looking at them, they aren't really the same thing. The No Nut seems to go onto the cymbal stand, whereas the Grombal stays in the centre hole of the cymbal. What's way, way better about them?
They are definitely not the same thing. But. They accomplish the same thing. Fast set up mainly, but also free resonance. And I will say a 4 pack of grombals saved my ass on a 5 week backlined European tour where the cymbal stands had nothing on top.

But. Backlining and/or sharing kits are, at worst impossible with grombals, and at best a pain in the ass. Plus, you'll never convince me that they don't effect the sound of the cymbals. Finally in bare loud rooms i like to choke my cymbals a bit. Can't do it with grombals, but you can w the cym-rings.

I actually know the grombal inventer, smart fella and a friend but he's been off the grid since covid went down and you can't get them readily currently.

I think Asba drums is introducing something very similar to grombals if you like that solution.

Last edited:

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To me, the No Nuts seem unnecessarily long? I don't like all that sticking out at the top and I really don't like the red color. Looks just a little cheesy and gaudy. Maybe they could do Black as well?

They come in black and a grey/silver as well. You can cut them down to a shortness you feel comfortable with if desired.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
What works for me:

Yamaha Crosstown Hardware
Shure P9HW wired in-ear pack with limiter
Yamaha Sub-Kick
Yamaha Daxdad
Yamaha adjustable wood beater + titanium beater shaft
JK Drum Systems Drumplates + Hooves
Jk Drum Systems drink holders (I got one with my own logo too)
TNR TrueVibe (I became a supporter early on when they were called Bootyshakers)
Brandless quick release hihat clutch
Pro-Mark sizzlers
Pro-Mark stick holder with clamp
Brandless vintage adjustable sizzlers
Roc N Soc vinyl nitro throne + vinyl backrest + footpeg
DW Hi-Torque drumkeys

What worked for me were Slapklatz Pro mutes, but they got dirty and looked terrible after their advised rinsing, so I won’t back that product anymore (especially when I don’t need mutes recently anyway).

Also great accesoires that worked in the past were DW mic mounts on the rack, DW quick release cymbal tops with build in felt, and the DW 9000 Rack.

I stopped using tops in general years ago, and never saw the need for these things like no nuts.

If a cymbal is to light/small or too heavy/big and wants to get off the stand, it gets a regular nut.

Last edited:

drumr386

Reaction score
Over the years I still use;
Pearl R-40 floor tom suspension feet. Worth every penny and still reasonably priced. A must have to this day.
Rock n Roller cart. Not used on every gig but happy to have when I needed it.
Remo quick release clutch. Has never failed and is just a no nonsense design.

These just took my money;
Ahead sticks. Sound, feel, nothing about these sticks worked for me.
Tama clip cymbal toppers. I don’t know, just give me a wingnut.
Zildjian Trashformer. Eh…

louieoke

Reaction score
Been using these extra small binder clips for a few months now for cymbal toppers... Surprisingly tight fitting, and haven't lost one (or broken one) yet. You could bend the side where it would fit into the groove of the threads, but I haven't found that to be necessary.

Attachments

• binder clip cymbal topper.jpg
    binder clip cymbal topper.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 23

DrBoom

Reaction score
I prefer the Gibraltar clutch because I feel the ball bearings are more solid and help spread the load better. It feels like a pneumatic hose connector to me whereas the Remo only has two little metal prongs, one of which broke on me after a couple years. The Gibraltar has now lasted me at least twice that long. The Remo does look more streamlined but the Gibraltar has grown on me.

I also think the Gibraltar suspension feet look nicer. I haven't done a side-by-side sound comparison with the Pearl feet but the Gibraltar feet give me a nice open floor tom.
I agree about the Gibraltar clutch versus the Remo. Both work well and both solve the problem of the top cymbal coming off the clutch. I put a drop of oil in with the ball bearing occasionally as it will tend to stick otherwise. I also love the floor tom feet, they absolutely increase the resonance of the drum, are inexpensive, easy to install, and look fine.

DrBoom

Reaction score
They are long, but they are tapered. I didn't care for the red either but they have a grey one I like. The look reminds me of the way Buddy's cymbal stands used to look. I don't use wing nuts, so a little extra length can help keep the cymbal from coming off the stand. Also, since they are tapered, I put as many felts under the cymbal as needed to get it to move around the way I want it to. I have a couple of cymbals with smaller holes and I can make these work by using more felts.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am kind of "old school" with my drum accessories...I use drum tambourine, cowbell, claves, stick holder and maracas...

Attachments

• drummersaccessories1.jpg
    drummersaccessories1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 21
  • drummersaccessories2.jpg
    drummersaccessories2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 20

aratts

Reaction score
I really like the Gibraltar Swing nut— screws onto cymbal stand and uses the t-top to keep the cymbal in place, no screws to fall off or lose.

gibraltar drum bumpers are cheap and great way to prevent Tom rash

Drum N Base Drum N Base Hoop Protector— best, easiest way to protect against pedal rash.​

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like INDe cymbal gummies.... They are very good!

Tested against felt washers, they are cleaner, less damped...

+10000 - I love them , your cymbals sound better and has more freedom of movement .

Isolation Studios

Reaction score
They are an excellent product that serves its purpose very well. Apart from the ease of use, no setup hassle with pulling apart and reassemble. We have noticed a cleaner sound on some cymbals we use also. As for the cymbal falling off etc, we have given them an absolute hiding and no issues of any kind at all. There’s not 1% of concern. They look cool as well, many colours available and the Cymrings compliment the Sleeves also for double stacking and work great on the hats. Excellent product that makes a drummers life easier.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those things you put on sticks to spin them work great for keeping sticks in your hands when they go numb due to carpel tunnel / tennis elbow issues .
I keep a pair close by ….

Dennis Chambers uses one in his left hand I believe. You can really relax your hands with those things on your sticks ….

I’m so much not a stick spinner that I can’t even spin with them either !!!

I have had this happen to me more often recently. I think repeatedly hitting metal with a wooden stick has a lot to do with it since it is my right hand this happens too. Never the left. Can you PM me a link to product?

Since

I use the first two, I need to by more of number #1 and disagree on #2 being bad.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• DED670B8-B9BA-400E-BB29-01BA380C8F29.png
    DED670B8-B9BA-400E-BB29-01BA380C8F29.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 13

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Money WELL spent,
*Tune-bot,
*SHU mic mount system
*Tiny clip-on guitar tuner (for metronome feature on live gigs)
*Tommy Igoe Great Hands for a Lifetime DVD
*Zoom Q2n-4k camera
*Evans magnetic drum keys

Not-so-well-spent;
*S-Hoops (mic mounts won’t work on them)

Last edited: