Drum Ads Seared Into Your Memory

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama
1593649957785.png

The old R.O.C magazine ad. I can't find the image. It was like a 19 piece kit with 2 layers of toms for about $78.

Old Mapex ad. I remember a small b/w ad from Modern Drummer when they first launched. Can't find that either though.
1593650373935.png

nk126

Reaction score
Holy s*** me too! I hadn't thought of this ad in years (why would I?) but seeing this brings it all back.

SO MANY TOMS

And those counterweighted booms stands were hardcore of that era, too

These! R.O.C. Drums. I remember seeing them in the late 80's in Modern Drummer and drooling over all the pieces you could get, (seriously), Lol!!
View attachment 448909

nk126

Reaction score
1593658081863.png

First drum set I saved up to buy new was a 7 pc pearl export I special ordered in "wine red" wrap finish through the local music shop. This must have been in '88 or 89. It had long fake "high tension" lugs (eg an insert running vertically between each pair of normal size lugs). I also immediately sold the stock snare and bought a Remo 14 x 3 piccolo snare in a shiny gold finish.

Closest thing to Dave's kit I could afford. Still remember the time at some high school dance or summer party gig when a random dude was checking out my kit and told his friend they were recording customs :headbang:

There's also a Zildjian "Vinnie and Dave" ad from that same time period that I can't find ... I may totally be making it up, but it's seared into my mind one way or the other ...