Drum Ads Seared Into Your Memory

Morello Man

Reaction score
The ‘65 Newport “Drum Workshop”...Joe Morello was listed in the original advertisement as being one of the drummers along with Rich, Bellson, Blakey, Elvin and Roy Haynes; when he couldn’t make it, Jo Jones was enlisted. Always found it odd that Rich left his splash holder up after he discovered that, for whatever reason that day, he didn’t have it. It looks dumb and was an indictment of Zildjian (that they couldn’t supply their biggest endorser with a splash). Maybe he wanted to rub their nose in it.

richardh253

Reaction score
Can someone guess how many "Buddy Rich Outfits" there were? Slingerland, Rogers, WFL, Ludwig, Vox, DW, "Buddy Rich Drum Co."....others? Never L&L or Leedy or Gretsch, though, as far as I recall. Wonder how they missed him?

richardh253

Reaction score
As a kid Buddy was god to me - fast fast fast fast fast. And flashy. And cocky. During one cruise-through at the local music store, I nabbed a Rogers flyer with this color photo of Buddy on the cover:

View attachment 453702

The inside of the foldout flyer had a photo of a snazzy Rogers outfit and also this cropped photo of Buddy that my pre-teen keen sense of detection told me was taken at the same time/place as the cover shot:

View attachment 453703

And that was that was that until I recently stumbled upon a bunch of other photos also taken at the same place/time, which apparently turned out to be the famous drum solo event at the 1965 Newport Jazz Festival (featuring Louie Bellson, Elvin Jones and Art Blakey and Buddy) about which Buddy said, "I did things that day that I didn't even know I was capable of playing...I had said it all, man. Like I had never said it before. Or since."

View attachment 453705

View attachment 453706

View attachment 453707

View attachment 453708

View attachment 453709

View attachment 453710
Looks like they couldn't get Buddy a WMP Seat-Case either.....

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I still have almost every Modern Drummer from the mid 80’s to the early 00’s. If it wasn’t going to be so time consuming, I could probably fill this thread. Sorry for the tease.

I remember Gretsch seemed to have the back cover of every issue.

Do you guys remember in MD they had a glossary in the back pages of each issue for all of the ads?

I'm pretty fond of this one, as I got to be the poster boy for Drummers Collective in '92. Pic. by Emily Moorefield. View attachment 449977
Cool. Let me be so bold to post one of me from 10 years ago as well. I love how this turned out.

D4B91E91-B243-4720-993D-57097466476B.jpeg

This is the ad that made me go out and buy Rude cymbals. I sold them not long after. I wasn't really a fan of the sound.
As much as I love Stewart’s playing, I agree.

Speaking of Stewart:

D6F39035-4817-4081-A1C9-B15B39C3F8D8.jpeg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...and I remember the ad glossary in the back of each issue, too.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Can't seem to find this one -

Jim Capaldi on Zickos

There's also Jimmy Fox on COW Slingerlands and Karen Carpenter on blue Vista Lite Octa Plus posters that kinda stuck in the canyons of my mind .

DavidKC

Reaction score
Can't seem to find this one -

Jim Capaldi on Zickos

There's also Jimmy Fox on COW Slingerlands and Karen Carpenter on blue Vista Lite Octa Plus posters that kinda stuck in the canyons of my mind .
You won’t find any Zickos ads featuring any of our endorsers. All of our print advertising only featured the drums. There were some handout pieces that listed who used our drums and what their setup was.

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I collect Beatle concert memorabilia and here is an interesting ad where Ludwig drums congrats Ringo and the group on a triumphal US tour circa 1965

Attachments