Drum Ads Seared Into Your Memory

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These! R.O.C. Drums. I remember seeing them in the late 80's in Modern Drummer and drooling over all the pieces you could get, (seriously), Lol!!
View attachment 448909
YES!! This is the one I was talking about. Same deal, I was drooling over them too. Well these and Heather Locklear. It was the 80's after all.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
YES!! This is the one I was talking about. Same deal, I was drooling over them too. Well these and Heather Locklear. It was the 80's after all.
I knew I wasn't the only one. I was like 15 and would dream with them, Lol!! That add was plastered on a full page month after month. I remember it in color though. The drums we're red. I wish I could find the add in color.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I knew I wasn't the only one. I was like 15 and would dream with them, Lol!! That add was plastered on a full page month after month. I remember it in color though. The drums we're red. I wish I could find the add in color.
Dude, I want to know if anyone here as ever actually seen, heard or played any of these. Especially the shells, a hickory mahogany blend...that could be a helluva sound.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I loved these three ads - they never moved me to purchase the advertised equipment, but I just liked how they looked, the Buddy one especially. I was a kid, he was a sophisticated grown up playing stuff that boggled my mind, and I wanted to be him when I grew up. Maybe my favorite drum (related) ad of all time.

Buddy034.jpg

RoyHaynes004.jpg

Phil331.jpg

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
View attachment 448927

First drum set I saved up to buy new was a 7 pc pearl export I special ordered in "wine red" wrap finish through the local music shop. This must have been in '88 or 89. It had long fake "high tension" lugs (eg an insert running vertically between each pair of normal size lugs). I also immediately sold the stock snare and bought a Remo 14 x 3 piccolo snare in a shiny gold finish.

Closest thing to Dave's kit I could afford. Still remember the time at some high school dance or summer party gig when a random dude was checking out my kit and told his friend they were recording customs :headbang:

There's also a Zildjian "Vinnie and Dave" ad from that same time period that I can't find ... I may totally be making it up, but it's seared into my mind one way or the other ...
And off to the hair salon you will go! "Make mine a mullet, please, Angie."

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
saw him in a clinic back in those days and he made fun of the hair, which was pretty cool.
Weckl or Vinnie?

I saw Weckl about 3 times in the mid 80's doing the same clinic. By the third time, he was bored with the format. He came out and played, which was the same opening solo as his DVD He said helo to us and then was like, 'you've seen this already, right?" So he said screw the format and did Q&A with the crowd for 2 hours, teaching and demoing as he went. That was good clinic. I also won a pair of Zildjian New Beat hi-hats that time! So that was sweet. I think that one was in Paramus or New Brunswick.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Believe it or not, this entirely unflashy picture of drums gave me pause every time I turned to it back in the 80s. There’s no over-the-top eye-candy about this unassuming little kit, and there’s nothing influential about this no-name drummer who’s probably just an actor anyway.

But as a drummer who lugged six drums and five cymbals to every gig he ever played back then, I was consistently taken aback by this ad every time, secretly aware this limited set-up was more than enough for the best of drummers to blow me out of the water, and daring to wish I could let go of everything I lusted for in a kit and be the kind of drummer who could handle myself behind something so concise.

For being an ad for gear, it’s one of the only ones I ever saw that effectively sold the idea there’s way more to drumming than gear.

32A948B3-79AC-4BD4-85FB-445F28D81A2B.jpeg

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's so great seeing all of these. I can't believe how many of them I remember when I see the picture. Just lost in the aether until now. Please, keep sharing, guys.

Last edited:

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I can't find a copy, so maybe someone here has a copy....

The one I remember is "Vic Firth sticks groove at ALL intensity levels" , mostly because of how stupidly absurd that statement was.

KevinD

Reaction score
One of the reasons I really looked forward to getting MD every month (or any music industry mag) was to pore over the ads and make a wish list..
There were two that stick out in my mind.
The first was a Yamaha (9000 I believe) full pager. This was the drum set I wanted in Jr High.
I wish I could find a better image, I recall the original be visually stunning with the lightning and all that.

Also remember in the early 80s (maybe early '82??) MD Ringo cover issue, there was an ad a Pearl White Slingerland Magnum set that was two full pages.

1980s YAMAHA 9000 AD.jpg

This was spread over two pages.
SLING MAGNUM AD 1.png
SLING MAGNUM AD 2.png

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And this one from a little while later...

View attachment 448900
This one with Buddy and Louis…seared for a reason not so obvious beyond its iconography. The fact here that Mr. Rich is wearing glasses affected me. I’m quite myopic, have always hated that, and hated wearing glasses. Seeing such a giant wearing glasses, any type of glasses, somehow normalized my visual disability.

We can add Colaiuta and Porcaro that list.

Latest posts