Drum Ads Seared Into Your Memory

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny because I was digging through my files trying to find exactly this ad. This was it for me, too, though for a slightly different reason. I had this idea that was a sort of romanticization of the whole experience of practicing and growing as a musician.

Believe it or not, this entirely unflashy picture of drums gave me pause every time I turned to it back in the 80s.
View attachment 448958

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Funny because I was digging through my files trying to find exactly this ad. This was it for me, too, though for a slightly different reason. I had this idea that was a sort of romanticization of the whole experience of practicing and growing as a musician.
I’d definitely say that was a large part of it for me too. You just worded it better than I could.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These are fun to see after all these years. There are two that come to mind but I haven't been able to find online. The first is a Ludwig ad with a virtual "who's who" of artists, all in one place. The ad contained a key to identify everyone pictured. The second is an ad showing a huge Grestch kit. As much as I enjoyed looking at the kit, what struck me was the grammatical error in the caption. The ad read "When Your Hot." The next time I saw it in Modern Drummer, they corrected it to read "When You're Hot."

nk126

Reaction score
Weckl or Vinnie?

I saw Weckl about 3 times in the mid 80's doing the same clinic. By the third time, he was bored with the format. He came out and played, which was the same opening solo as his DVD He said helo to us and then was like, 'you've seen this already, right?" So he said screw the format and did Q&A with the crowd for 2 hours, teaching and demoing as he went. That was good clinic. I also won a pair of Zildjian New Beat hi-hats that time! So that was sweet. I think that one was in Paramus or New Brunswick.
Nice job winning the hats!

This was also Weckl. Totally same vibe at the clinic I saw (Albany, NY) - he definitely said, "you guys already know all this" a few times, and was super into Q&A, which was great.

He also did a lesson on beat displacement. I'll never forget, when he was done with it, he asked if there were any questions. This guy raises his hand and basically says, "Yeah, what the hell are you talking about? And where the hell is the one? I'm lost, man." It was great, and Weckl totally broke it all down again with good humor.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, I never realized how low Weckl and Gadd sit and how high their snares are. I'd never be able to play like that, even when playing traditional grip.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was in high school, playing drums in my first rock band when Nirvana broke big. So, this ad single-handedly influenced my first brand new kit purchase decision (Tama Rockstar, wine red, I still have it!):

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This one with Buddy and Louis…seared for a reason not so obvious beyond its iconography. The fact here that Mr. Rich is wearing glasses affected me. I’m quite myopic, have always hated that, and hated wearing glasses. Seeing such a giant wearing glasses, any type of glasses, somehow normalized my visual disability.

We can add Colaiuta and Porcaro that list.
I still have to take them off when I play. If not they usually get whacked off. ...that doesn't sound good, but I think you know what I mean.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Boy these bring back a lot of memories

Tama seemed to always have best ads in MD mid to late 80s.
Band was grim reaper, guy playing drums had a killer set up with rack

Anyone remember when Paiste put those flimsy little records in MD? Paiste took it for cymbals as well.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Boy these bring back a lot of memories

Tama seemed to always have best ads in MD mid to late 80s.
Band was grim reaper, guy playing drums had a killer set up with rack

Anyone remember when Paiste put those flimsy little records in MD? Paiste took it for cymbals as well.
I had a Grim Reaper tape. I don;t think I ever listened to more than a couple of songs on it. LOL

And Paiste...I tried them out because Charlie Benante and Eric Car played them. I grew tired of their sound very quickly. To this day, Paiste is funny for me. I think they sound great in recordings, but I hate them in person.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Always loved Paiste ads. Looking at these ads as a broke teenager I thought, "when I'm a grownup..."
Now, married 12 years, a six year old and a two month old under my own roof with a basement hosting a kit with a full set of Traditionals. Strange. I kinda feel like an adult, haha.
IMG_5899.JPG

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Someone has been selling fantastic Gretsch ads on Reverb. All of the jazz greats.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes indeed -- that is the one I was going to pick as well. Powerful. I think it ran around the 87-90 time frame. It made you pause and say -- "why am I lugging all of this stuff/power sizes etc." It was completely antithetical to the other drum ads running at that time.

Believe it or not, this entirely unflashy picture of drums gave me pause every time I turned to it back in the 80s. There’s no over-the-top eye-candy about this unassuming little kit, and there’s nothing influential about this no-name drummer who’s probably just an actor anyway.

But as a drummer who lugged six drums and five cymbals to every gig he ever played back then, I was consistently taken aback by this ad every time, secretly aware this limited set-up was more than enough for the best of drummers to blow me out of the water, and daring to wish I could let go of everything I lusted for in a kit and be the kind of drummer who could handle myself behind something so concise.

For being an ad for gear, it’s one of the only ones I ever saw that effectively sold the idea there’s way more to drumming than gear.

View attachment 448958

Blisco

Reaction score
These are fun to see after all these years. There are two that come to mind but I haven't been able to find online. The first is a Ludwig ad with a virtual "who's who" of artists, all in one place. The ad contained a key to identify everyone pictured. The second is an ad showing a huge Grestch kit. As much as I enjoyed looking at the kit, what struck me was the grammatical error in the caption. The ad read "When Your Hot." The next time I saw it in Modern Drummer, they corrected it to read "When You're Hot."
Was it like this Ludwig poster I had? I believe there was a silhouette key on it in the lower right corner.
IMG_1176.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Reading the Ayotte thread made me recall, then search for a particular ad of Matt Chamberlain playing a set with a Keplinger snare. I was 14 or so and would just fawn over that ad.
Any drum/cymbal ads that just stuck with you?
View attachment 448849
Believe it or not, this entirely unflashy picture of drums gave me pause every time I turned to it back in the 80s. There’s no over-the-top eye-candy about this unassuming little kit, and there’s nothing influential about this no-name drummer who’s probably just an actor anyway.

But as a drummer who lugged six drums and five cymbals to every gig he ever played back then, I was consistently taken aback by this ad every time, secretly aware this limited set-up was more than enough for the best of drummers to blow me out of the water, and daring to wish I could let go of everything I lusted for in a kit and be the kind of drummer who could handle myself behind something so concise.

For being an ad for gear, it’s one of the only ones I ever saw that effectively sold the idea there’s way more to drumming than gear.

View attachment 448958
When that ad came out, that kit was SO COOL!!!!
The way the hardware attached was nothing short of astounding.
Never seen before by me and my peers.
I think Yamaha started running it in '84 and it was still being used when I quit drumming in 1988.
Its a cool little setup.
I asked the guy at one of the local music stores about and he if I wanted a Yamaha kit just like that, it would cost about $2500.
Adjusting for inflation, that's almost $6200 today.
I loved that ad so much, I posted about how nice it would be to have one of those issues again and someone sent me the ad.
Forums are cool. =)

Elvis

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My memory is going to the magazine rack in the late 60's - early 70's, and looking through the music magazines for the drum ads that had the coupons to send in for free catalogs.

Those were the ones that I would buy, just so I could send in for catalogs.

Latest posts