Drum Ads Seared Into Your Memory

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does anyone recall a TAMA ad from 15-20 years ago that created some backlash because of the language used by the drummer featured in the ad? I think it was a drummer for a popular heavy metal band at the time. There were a lot of 'Letter to the Editor' complaints in Modern Drummer chastising TAMA for the ad, and Modern Drummer for publishing the ad.

Burps

Reaction score
This is the ad that made me go out and buy Rude cymbals. I sold them not long after. I wasn't really a fan of the sound.
I was just lusting after those 602 hi-hats, which I did eventually get. The Rude series was never on my list.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The R.O.C stands for Republic of China! (I just learned that. I did a search and found a couple of old threads)
Since that's the case, they probably really were low grade because in the 80's China was cranking out pretty bad stuff. Not just in drums but pretty much everything. I believe that they started getting decent QC in the 2000's.
Remember that the next time you see me mention "ROC stands" when I write about el'cheapo cymbal and HH stands. =)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Well I lusted after this kit when I was 15. I still have the original brochure, and now after many years of lusting I have the kit. :)

View attachment 449233 View attachment 449234 View attachment 449235
Thank you.
I was going to mention the Black Shadow but couldn't find an ad to link to.
That picture of the Shadow 9 kit used to be 2 page spread (like the Yamaha ad mentioned earlier).
When I first saw that (I think it was the John Bonham issue), I was like, I MUST POSSESS THAT!!!.....never did, but its still a killer looking kit.

Elvis

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone recall a TAMA ad from 15-20 years ago that created some backlash because of the language used by the drummer featured in the ad? I think it was a drummer for a popular heavy metal band at the time. There were a lot of 'Letter to the Editor' complaints in Modern Drummer chastising TAMA for the ad, and Modern Drummer for publishing the ad.
Yeah, it was Lars Ulrich. Lots of swears.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
This is the ad that made me go out and buy Rude cymbals. I sold them not long after. I wasn't really a fan of the sound.
I had a similar experience with Zildjian....

1593800858278.png

...I traded it back to the same store I bought it from for a 16" Amir crash. Much better. =)

Elvis

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Was that kit made before Yamaha bought Premier ? The shells are birch right ?
I remember seeing this ad but cannot remember the details of the shell construction . They look great by the way .
Thanks! Made in 1980 by Premier. Birch construction with a resonant shell within a shell.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste did one with Tommy Lee I believe, “ Happier than a pig in s**t ad,
might have generated some hate mail.
I want to go on record and say this thread is bringing some serious joy.
Looking back at these old ads is something else.

I really regret tossing all my old drum mags and catalogs.

Skeet6

Reaction score
I liked the rear cover (MD) Phil Collins Gretsch ad back in the day. I still have my MD collection back to late 70s in collector boxes. ;)
Mike B