Drum Ads Seared Into Your Memory

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
...the ad that convinced me to finish my then-new Ludwig kit in Cherry Stain.....

Yes, that whole series of Ludwig ads - what, 80's-90's? - ran for years on the inside of the front cover of MD. Ludwig clearly spent the money and got good graphic design. You remember them: Bun E., the late, great Ed Shaugnessy with a chest full 'o turquoise. White Ludwigs never looked so good!

But much agreement here: that Cherry stain finish for Mr. Cameron does take the cake!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
There´s one ad that I rubbed me the wrong way so thoroughly that to this day I never had any interest in buying anything Ludwig:

View attachment 449295
That band. That set-up. That outfit. That slogan. They failed so hard with this one. :)
Agreed. Truly wretched. And I thought that then.

That setup is just hideous, though it may have caught the fancy of youth at the time.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
This one. I wrote to Gretsch and told them I would send them 10 cents for the 8x10. I'm still waiting.

View attachment 449294
This whole series that Gretsch did had a super-fine Modernist eye putting them together. So many are so good, and they stand up today. You know 'em: Max, Elvin, Art Taylor. They were from before my time, but arriving to the Gretsch party a little later (late 70's/early 80's) and discovering these 60's gems in old Downbeats, well, they became quite inspiring to me. And then they started getting reproduced in books about the drum companies, and other vintage drum books.

If anyone here is familiar with those award-winning 60's black and white Volkswagen ads, it almost seems like they could have the same visual art designers.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Yes, that whole series of Ludwig ads - what, 80's-90's? - ran for years on the inside of the front cover of MD. Ludwig clearly spent the money and got good graphic design. You remember them: Bun E., the late, great Ed Shaugnessy with a chest full 'o turquoise. White Ludwigs never looked so good!

But much agreement here: that Cherry stain finish for Mr. Cameron does take the cake!
Yeah, 80's-90's...maybe still?
At one time, you could always count on the Ludwig ad being inside the front cover and the Gretsch ad was inside the back cover.
That one with Clayton Cameron was from '98 or '99, 'cuz I ordered my Classic Maple kit in April of 1999.

Elvis

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These ads were so inspiring. I used to just drink in every one of them.

Skeet6

Reaction score
Skeet6,

you mean this one?...

View attachment 449319

...yeah, I remember that one well, too. :thumbup:

Elvis
Yep! That one! It was a reminder that having a blue sparkle Gretsch kit when Tama and all the "cool" brands were out wasn't such a bad thing, lol.
Was there another with him on a different color kit? :scratch:
Mike B

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I had just started out drumming, I got a few music magazines for free, this must have been 1989, the magizines might have been a bit older. One was a drum mag, had a story on Paiste Sigs with that sound diagram like a tree. I also remember Ufip Class being introduced. I also got a catalog of Pearl Exports with my first snare (got the Export snare first (yes the one that's supposed to sound good) and the rest a bit later). It had pics of endorsers in the back, almost all with huge hair.

Same with a Remo head leaflet that talked about what combinations some guys used.
A bit later, I also got a Tama catalog, back when the tilted cymbal stands were all the rage. Silly even then. I rmemeber one set being offered with 10-12-14-16 toms, in the whole catalog. Power sizes all over.
Later I in the mid/late 90s I bought some MD issues, was fond of the Starclassic drum ads, Zildjian K Custom Dark ride ad with Weckl, Vinnie, Gadd. I also found a bunch of posters for Yamaha signature snares at a shop, Vinnie, Garibaldi, Manu et al. These should be somewhere still. I think I cut off the ad parts, too bad, maybe someone would collect these in original state.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here are a couple that always stood out in my mind.
I always thought Danny Seraphine's drums looked perfect here - the angles, chrome finish, the background - very memorable.

eaabe836a1b52bffd76e5b50ca846b3a.jpg

And this one, mainly because it was so audacious for its time.

man-on-drum.jpg

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
View attachment 449329

The Dave Weckl shoes always seemed a bit over the top. But hey, I can't think of another professional musician of that caliber that had a shoe deal.
WHAT?!?!? I never saw or heard of this until now. I don't know if I should be disgusted that they would try to puh something like this, or praise their ingenuity to look for a new tie-in product.

Latest posts