Drum Ads Seared Into Your Memory

hsosdrum

Reaction score
View attachment 449329

The Dave Weckl shoes always seemed a bit over the top. But hey, I can't think of another professional musician of that caliber that had a shoe deal.
As I get older and my feet get wider (yep, it's gonna happen to you too!) my left shoe (Brooks Beast) sometimes hits the left bass pedal footboard when I'm playing the hi-hat, which made me think of this product (and ad). I kinda wish those shoes were still around — if they were I'd try a pair.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I hear ya hsosdrum.
35-40 years ago, my shoe size was 9 - 9 1/2....Now, I take an 11. :tard:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
As I get older and my feet get wider (yep, it's gonna happen to you too!) my left shoe (Brooks Beast) sometimes hits the left bass pedal footboard when I'm playing the hi-hat, which made me think of this product (and ad). I kinda wish those shoes were still around — if they were I'd try a pair.
I think they were basically dancing shoes so that's what you should look for.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another one that knocked impressionable young me for a loop in the early 70s. I saw this in a little newspaper-kinda publication that Gretsch used to put out once in a blue moon; I nabbed it and kept it in a footlocker with my prized possessions for over four decades. Tony remains my #1 drum hero.

Tony272.jpg

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Nice shoes, but this begs the question.....Do you really wanna wear someone else's shoes? :blink:

...can anyone post an ad for FALICON drum racks / cages?
Been looking online, but not finding any ads. Plenty of pics, but no ads. =(

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There´s one ad that I rubbed me the wrong way so thoroughly that to this day I never had any interest in buying anything Ludwig:

View attachment 449295
That band. That set-up. That outfit. That slogan. They failed so hard with this one. :)

Man, I had a set on order, natural maple with the new modular hardware.
13, 14,16, 24, one up two down.
Saw R.E.O when they came through Chicago and there was the kit!!
In hindsight I cancelled the order, it was taking forever and I needed a new kit bad, I hate that hardware now!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Emerson-Lake-and-Palmer-Carl-Premier-Full-Page.jpg

Always like this one. I actually use the expression "In a word?" all the time.
4971411526672355794.jpg

Here's the Tama ad. Actually, mold WILL, in fact, grow on Tama stuff. It's happened to me.

Dan

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone remember when Paiste put those flimsy little records in MD? Paiste took it for cymbals as well.
Funny you should mention this. I grabbed an album the other day, Tom Scott Apple Juice. Now i've played this album many times over the past 39 years, but when I pulled the album out of the jacket, a clear, flimsy MD record fell out, as well. It wasn't Paiste, but a Buddy Rich solo record. I have no recollection of it, or the MD insert records in general. Pretty cool.

jb111

Reaction score
...more Gretsch goodness...

View attachment 449158
Yep, that's the one I most remember as well. Though the background and headline type were different. Less cropping on the photo. But I remember looking at that at 16 and feeling...someday...and then I sat back down on my Pearl Export.

dana bag of donuts

Reaction score
Reading the Ayotte thread made me recall, then search for a particular ad of Matt Chamberlain playing a set with a Keplinger snare. I was 14 or so and would just fawn over that ad.
Any drum/cymbal ads that just stuck with you?
View attachment 448849
I worked at the Ayotte factory in Vancouver during this add campaign..I likely had a part in building the kit used in the photo..Keplingers rule! I still got a 6.5"
I remember being a kid and the Pearl CZX adds leaving a lustful impression of unattainable drums..

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Yep, that's the one I most remember as well. Though the background and headline type were different. Less cropping on the photo. But I remember looking at that at 16 and feeling...someday...and then I sat back down on my Pearl Export.
...yep, I'm still there.....one of these days.....and to whomever asked about the little plastic records that Paiste used to issue in MD, I had a whole collection of those. I might still have them.
They were great.

Latest posts