Drum Ads Seared Into Your Memory

Drum Lord

Reaction score
My drum teacher, the amazing Dave DiRisio, had the Ludwig Drums "Stable of the Stars" poster right outside the his lesson studio. So many greats on that poster in such an odd setting. Circa 1977, bet there are some crazy stories from the day of that shoot!
CuE63eRWYAA2LS2.jpeg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
THANK YOU!!! I've been looking for one of those to post here!
Tama used to do that too.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
My drum teacher, the amazing Dave DiRisio, had the Ludwig Drums "Stable of the Stars" poster right outside the his lesson studio. So many greats on that poster in such an odd setting. Circa 1977, bet there are some crazy stories from the day of that shoot! View attachment 450145
People who bought Rob Cook's excellent Ludwig history book found that it contained a CD-ROM - no, not a VHS tape! - of several of those mass hair metal gatherings. The ROM also has some real cool esoterica: Bill I and II playing snare solo/marching pieces like The Three Camps, Old Dan Tucker, etc., with the senior Mr. Ludwig narrating!

richardh253

Reaction score
Loved this one so much I had to buy a kit. View attachment 450239
I was SO lucky to find a beat-up version of this kit years ago on CL, got it for $500 (no snare) - Hollywood (22-12-13-16 c. 1979, large lugs already on the 8x12) spent many hours working it back into shape, and loved it! Can't find a photo of two-up but here's the 4-piece set-up (BDC Big Softy snare). I sadly had to sell that kit in downsizing move, it's the one I most regret letting go, a "Ringo Kit"

1594349078736.png

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Spinal Tap had to come from somewhere, as all art must...
And funny you should mention The Set Up. In my post above I mention Cook's Ludwig book. There's a big interview with Todd Trent, longtime Ludwig promotion guy, who, when asked if they ever had to turn down an endorsee's request, mentioned a Spinal Tappin' endorsee who had The Set Up, and within a year asked for another one "...uh, just to have around the house." Request denied!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was SO lucky to find a beat-up version of this kit years ago on CL, got it for $500 (no snare) - Hollywood (22-12-13-16 c. 1979, large lugs already on the 8x12) spent many hours working it back into shape, and loved it! Can't find a photo of two-up but here's the 4-piece set-up (BDC Big Softy snare). I sadly had to sell that kit in downsizing move, it's the one I most regret letting go, a "Ringo Kit"

View attachment 450266
Now THAT is a sweet set! Yes, I recently ran across the above poster's "...must be grown..." in an old MD. Really nice stuff!

dje31

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I still have this one on VHS.

I remember Jeremy at Ken Stanton Music in Marietta (north Atlanta) Georgia playing the Manu Katche' promotional video in the drum showroom.

He's also the guy that I got my Paistes from...and my Tama Starclassic Performers.

Last edited:

dje31

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember--but can't find--the two-page Tama spread in the middle of Modern Drummer, ~84-86, of the big names on their roster, with the drummer, pic of their kit, and an overhead drawing listing their kit sizes. There had to be 50+ on those two pages.

The Tama Stewart Copeland ad on post 111 triggered that memory stain. It was a centerfold, so you could have popped it out of the staples and hung it on a wall.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't find the actual ad but back in the 80's or 90's there was a Boom Theory Space Muffins (I think) ad where the guy said: I'm not wearing any pants

richardh253

Reaction score
I remember--but can't find--the two-page Tama spread in the middle of Modern Drummer, ~84-86, of the big names on their roster, with the drummer, pic of their kit, and an overhead drawing listing their kit sizes. There had to be 50+ on those two pages.

The Tama Stewart Copeland ad on post 111 triggered that memory stain. It was a centerfold, so you could have popped it out of the staples and hung it on a wall.
here you go...
1594431722854.png

richardh253

Reaction score

View attachment 450266
found a 2-up photo...
1594431839571.png

richardh253

Reaction score
Dude, what is that snare? The finish is beautiful.
That snare is a DDrum Dios, I bought that maybe 7-8 years ago as I recall relatively inexpensive. Looks nice, I think ddrum got better as years went on. https://www.moderndrummer.com/article/november-2018-ddrum-dios-series-snares/

this one, for example, barely has a snare bed depression on the reso side, making it a little funky to tune up. But it does a decent job for a lower-end snare. I still have it, but its available for sale, among those I have to let go because of downsizing. If anyone is interested let me know.

1594482786852.png
1594482917329.png
1594482962902.png